• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using S Voice and Google Maps Navigation question

Everything works just fine on my Galaxy S4 running stock Android 4.4.2
I have S Voice configured so it wakes up when it connects to my car's Bluetooth and goes into Hands-free mode. I can ask it the time, send a text, get the weather, read the news, play music. All just fine. I can tell it to navigate to work and it switches to Google Maps Navigation, changes it's voice (it's a different voice because it is a different product, I understand that) and gives me directions and even traffic news. Brilliant.

So what's the problem? Well once I tell it to navigate then S Voice is no longer listening. The Nav takes over and does a good job. But I can't tell it to play music, send a text etc. I've seen hints that this is (or was) possible. The hands-free mode seems to have been called drive mode or car mode and there's a suggestion it cooperated with the nav better in the past. But not for me, or not yet anyway. The Navigator does have a little microphone symbol on its screen, but it does nothing unless I press it (not possible while driving) and even then it doesn't seem to recognise any commands.

Does anyone know the status of this? Is there a way I can get S Voice and Nav to play nice? I did try switching to Google Now but it won't control my music player (the stock player) and it doesn't understand my accent as well as S Voice. Plus it has the same issue with the Nav (odd 'cos its all Google).

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones