• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] [Guide] Step-by-Step Rooting & Flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the positives of a custom rom is first, the bloatware is removed. And if some of it is still there, you can remove it if you want. Other positives include the different tweaks and mods that roms have. Even the kernels they come with can be tweaked in so many ways such as overclocking/underclocking, over/undervolting, different governors and schedulers etc. So much stuff to even type here:)

Other kernels provide different governors and offer fastcharging over usb, and battery saving tweaks etc..again, so much to type out:)

Some roms are more stable than others. Some roms have things that don't work.
Some roms are updated nightly. Others are updated as the dev posts updates....weeks/months etc.

So if you ask anyone what is the best rom/kernel combo? You will get alot of different answers and the best answer is---try some out for yourself and see what works for you and your device.:)

Upvote 0
@Mikestony, and @Zoandroid: thank you very very much for the help in this thread!!!

@Zoandroid: do you use last.fm on your S3, and is it 100% free to you?

Sorry I did not get back sooner. Had some other things going on..:)

No, I don't use last.fm. In fact I have never used any of those kinds of music services. I suppose I'm showing my age. :) But the music I listen to comes from ripped CDs and/or downloaded MP3s from Amazon's music service..That's why I prefer a player that can ignore meta tags and play selections based on their file name and order in a folder.

Using custom ROMs can have its shortcomings, and sometimes there are things that don't work properly. The devs try to fix anything that they find malfunctioning if they can. But it's the price we pay for freedom from being totally controlled by phone vendors..;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yes, I will try to help:)

o.k..so after wiping cache/dalvik/data/factory reset and now /system....and then you flashed the rom and rebooted, but now it will not boot up? The screen is black?
Can you provide a link to the rom you are trying to flash?

CyanogenMod Downloads

10.0, it is the only stable on that link, and I rebooted first before the flash because I thought it would boot up, but I guess not.

Upvote 0
CyanogenMod Downloads

10.0, it is the only stable on that link, and I rebooted first before the flash because I thought it would boot up, but I guess not.

Well, power off your phone or pull the battery.....boot back into recovery, wipe again and flash the rom:)
If all else fails you can restore your nandroid (you made a nandroid prior to flashing yes yes yes..tell me yes? :p )

Upvote 0
Well, power off your phone or pull the battery.....boot back into recovery, wipe again and flash the rom:)
If all else fails you can restore your nandroid (you made a nandroid prior to flashing yes yes yes..tell me yes? :p )

Well I have an Outter Box case on my phone, and I had to take it into Verizon to put the case on because I didn't know how so I can't pull the battery.

I did made a backup in recovery, and after wiping /system and before reboot I checked under backup and restore and backups are no longer there due to wiping. What other recommendations would you have?

Upvote 0
So you wiped your sd card? That is where the backups are stored...either on your internal sd card (phone) or your external sd card (if you have one installed).

Can you power off the phone at all without pulling the battery?
We need to shut off the phone in order to do the power/home/volume up to get into recovery.

Do you have an external sd card installed? And do you remember if you put the rom on the internal or external storage?

Upvote 0
So you wiped your sd card? That is where the backups are stored...either on your internal sd card (phone) or your external sd card (if you have one installed).

Can you power off the phone at all without pulling the battery?
We need to shut off the phone in order to do the power/home/volume up to get into recovery.

Do you have an external sd card installed? And do you remember if you put the rom on the internal or external storage?

The phone is off but it's black and won't do anything. The SD thing, I saved to my phone from USB cable because I did not see SD listed under my computer, and yes, I have SD installed.

Upvote 0
The phone is off but it's black and won't do anything. The SD thing, I saved to my phone from USB cable because I did not see SD listed under my computer, and yes, I have SD installed.

When you say your phone is off, do you mean the screen is off, or it's powered down---(off).

If it is powered down, try to boot into recovery. (home/power/volume up)

Upvote 0
O.k..so let me just review:
1. You were in recovery, wiped before a rom flash but rebooted before flashing the rom and now the phone is dead, as in, off, not powered on.
2. It will not charge.
3. It will not boot into recovery or download mode.

Are you trying to charge it via the computer or the wall charger?
Can you try a different usb cable to charge it?
When you do plug your phone in, the led light does not come on?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be clear as to where you are at. :)

Upvote 0
O.k..so let me just review:
1. You were in recovery, wiped before a rom flash but rebooted before flashing the rom and now the phone is dead, as in, off, not powered on.
2. It will not charge.
3. It will not boot into recovery or download mode.

Are you trying to charge it via the computer or the wall charger?
Can you try a different usb cable to charge it?
When you do plug your phone in, the led light does not come on?

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be clear as to where you are at. :)

I pulled the battery and now in recovery and went into restore I see no backups.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones