• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Verizon Note 2 Pre-order, Release date, and speculation thread

Yep, this is about what I would suspect. Wonder if the HD benches are higher triangle count also? The Mali was always ahead of the game on Pixel pumping capability so the way it has fallen behind on these HD benches so far suggests to me they have made them more complex models also rather than just increase the pixel count. Basically I am guessing with the same games played in HD vs SD it's closer than these tests are suggesting and that the mali actually only starts to fall down as triangle counts in the model go up. Not really sure actual games will see greatly higher geometry count anytime soon is my point. Sure the benchmarks might, but if the actual stuff you use the thing for never does it's added power for nothing.

Not to mention the differences are probably more related to 28nm vs 32nm in the end. You can afford more GPU on 28nm. Still though, none of these players are being as GPU aggressive and willing to go with a bigger chip as Apple.

Upvote 0
Even with 2500mAh battery, DNA will have to move a lot more 1080p screen pixels long enough. I think on-screen time will be substantially shorter than Note 2. 1080p screen will put a lot of strain on GPU than 720p too, so advantage of adreno320 over mali400 will be somewhat offset.

With both at 1080p the 320 still pulls ahead:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6386/samsung-galaxy-note-2-review-t-mobile-/3

Scroll down to Egypt HD at 1080 off screen. Look like I said before I think the note 2 will be a better all around device. That's why, for the first time in my android buying history, I'm forsaking pure horsepower for a better all around experience. I'm actually test driving a note 10.1 so I'm LOVING the s pen.

Upvote 0
One thing I miss from the GNex pre-release thread are all the "insider" leaks. Where are all the people whose aunt's third-cousin's college roommates now run the marketing department at Verizon? Or whose brother-in-law's niece's fiancee runs a small third-party store with access to some secret system? These were always such a great source for "info", more fun than phone-date-image interpretation and online CSR chats...

Upvote 0
One thing I miss from the GNex pre-release thread are all the "insider" leaks. Where are all the people whose aunt's third-cousin's college roommates now run the marketing department at Verizon? Or whose brother-in-law's niece's fiancee runs a small third-party store with access to some secret system? These were always such a great source for "info", more fun than phone-date-image interpretation and online CSR chats...

Funniest thing I read all day.

Upvote 0
With both at 1080p the 320 still pulls ahead:

AnandTech - Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Review (T-Mobile) - The Phablet Returns

Scroll down to Egypt HD at 1080 off screen.

I saw that review too. But my point is that Note 2 is at 720p, not 1080p. If they compare GL bench of Note 2 at 720p to DNA at 1080p, I bet the performance gap will be much smaller than those Egypt charts.

BTW, it turns out today that DNA has only 16Gb internal memory, fixed 2020mAh battery, what a joke!

Upvote 0
I saw that review too. But my point is that Note 2 is at 720p, not 1080p. If they compare GL bench of Note 2 at 720p to DNA at 1080p, I bet the performance gap will be much smaller than those Egypt charts.

BTW, it turns out today that DNA has only 16Gb internal memory, fixed 2020mAh battery, what a joke!

This. Not impressed. A 16GB, non expandable, BEATS AUDIOLOLOLOLOLOLZ.

The processor is BEAST, but then again it's got NonSENSE-ical UI, and do I really need 1080p on a cellphone? :p

Upvote 0
The only thing I have to go on lol is that a good friend of mine works for Verizon Wireless, in the cell tower sector of it. Setting up new LTE towers, retrograding older ones.

His boss has the new devices usually a month before they launch. He's had the Note 2 since October 15th.

He also had in the past, the Galaxy Nexus, The Bionic, the Thunderbolt and the X + X-2. So at least i know when he gets it, it's about a MONTH away LOL.

Upvote 0

Yep, not interested. What a relief that it is not for me. I was torn between the two devices, Note 2 and DNA. Wanted it to be a great phone, but with TWO huge errors, No-Go.
Reality check: Quad Core, full HD screen. Multimedia machine right? I mean it has 11GB of memory after the OS and bloat... So, with two 4GB HD movies (720p) or two true BlueRay (1080p) moves at 8GB, that will hold a whopping 2-3 movies unless you have 2-4gb of music, couple pictures already on the phone. What a joke! Well, maybe not! If you have tiered data plan and want to stream a movie in true HD! at 8gb....wait, that doesn't work either. Ok, so you have unlimited data and the cloud is full of your 100gb of movies and you start watching them...wait, then your battery, all 2020mah if it, is dead after probably 2.

Glad I pre-ordered the Note 2 with it's 64gb memory card and 16GB internal (73GB usable?) and 3100 battery which is replaceable. This is a multimedia machine!

Dont get me wrong, if those two things were fixed in the DNA, I might have jumped ship.
HTC would have, could have, should have...
No money from me.

Upvote 0
Tablets are great, but I just cannot have that many devices. I remember the old days. Desk top (gaming), Laptop (work, not powerful), PDA, BlueTooth GPS receiver to bond to the PDA since they didn't have GPS in the day, and a flip phone. The funny thing was the car trips and actually carrying 4 devices (phone, GPS module, PDA, laptop). Those were the "heavy" days.

Upvote 0
The only thing I have to go on lol is that a good friend of mine works for Verizon Wireless, in the cell tower sector of it. Setting up new LTE towers, retrograding older ones.

His boss has the new devices usually a month before they launch. He's had the Note 2 since October 15th.

He also had in the past, the Galaxy Nexus, The Bionic, the Thunderbolt and the X + X-2. So at least i know when he gets it, it's about a MONTH away LOL.

But your friend can't tell you when it's being released?

Upvote 0
DNA got killer screen and powerful GPU but those two drawbacks (16Gb internal only, small fixed battery) are huge. They got ton of complaints on those for One X and it seems HTC doesn't bother to listen. No wonder they are badly sinking on sales, profit.
And it seems more like GS3 competitor with that size but I'm sure Sammy will smoke it with GS4 easily Spring next year.

Upvote 0
DNA got killer screen and powerful GPU but those two drawbacks (16Gb internal only, small fixed battery) are huge. They got ton of complaints on those for One X and it seems HTC doesn't bother to listen. No wonder they are badly sinking on sales, profit.
And it seems more like GS3 competitor with that size but I'm sure Sammy will smoke it with GS4 easily Spring next year.

Battery could be HTC, but not sure expandable storage is. J Butterfly has mSD and this seems to be missing it. That could very well be a VZW decision since they get peeps on limited data in many cases by hawking these things with subsidy.

Upvote 0
Battery could be HTC, but not sure expandable storage is. J Butterfly has mSD and this seems to be missing it. That could very well be a VZW decision since they get peeps on limited data in many cases by hawking these things with subsidy.

I suspected the same thing once I heard it was lacking an SD slot. Remember this is the same company that used to disable wifi on its devices to force you to use data. If the DNA had come with expandable memory I would have cancelled my GN2 preorder today.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones