• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

verizon s4 on metro

for the life of me, i cannot get metro's GSM radio to catch on this bloody phone (was free, so no worries if i brick it). ive tried every tmobile and metro apn setting i can find. i copied the settings from my galaxy light but still no go.

research shows me that verizon gs4s are factory unlocked due to some fcc regulations. when i put my metro sim in, it says 'this sim is from an unknown source'. attempting to toggle the mobile networks on and off does no good.

id really love to use this phone if i can, but if not, no worries, ive got other plans for it. swappa shows the IMEI clear, so i know it cant be that... no reason a blacklisted IMEI would cause the actual phone to not pull the radio.

any help? not rooted, on latest android version, might downgrade so i can root since no root exists for the version im on (4.4.2).

alright, so i woke up, took care of stuff, decided to give this phone another whirl. put in the sim, went to the apn settings, hit 'restore to default'. went back to the network mode selection, chose GSM, waited. popped up with 'cant connect to network' error initially, waited about 20 more seconds, then t-mobile and att showed up (and are still there).

now, i reinputted the APN settings from my galaxy light. still able to see tmobile and ATT but cannot connect to either.

is this due to my s4 not being registered on their network? would calling them likely solve the problem? during a few of the reboots, i saw the radio pull up 2 bars (which is normal for this room im in), but about 10 seconds later dropped to 0 bars. its trying to grab voicemail as well, as i get a notice every other reboot about dialing *86 to get voicemail.

Upvote 0
I answered your other posts so I will give it a go here as well. HSPA+ is 4G and depending on your area, can do very well speedwise. I have put a Metro SIM in 3 of my BYOD phones and it allowed me to call Metro on the phone so they could pair up the IMEI. I would definitely call and try to get it fixed, it can't hurt. A store will cost you money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones