• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Wallet without root?

clb2196

Android Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2011
So, got my S4 today, and after activating it installed the update before I found out that breaks root. :( I'm sure there'll be a fix, but until then, is there a way to install Wallet without root? Or am I SOL? I've had Wallet on my GNex (didn't need root on that one) for a long time, I'll miss it.

wallet is blocked by verizon so no without root you can't use it :/ you can download it but it wont allow you to set it up

It's been a year plus since I played with Wallet, but why would root matter?

you don't need root to side load a APK on Android and that's all wallet is...

like I said I haven't used recent versions but historically you didn't need root to use wallet.

Upvote 0
It's been a year plus since I played with Wallet, but why would root matter?

you don't need root to side load a APK on Android and that's all wallet is...

like I said I haven't used recent versions but historically you didn't need root to use wallet.
Yeah, but you do need root to edit the build.prop file. If you don't, your S4 will show up as an unsupported device, and, since all Verizon devices are blocked, will not initiate Wallet. I know because my S4 installed all the apps from my old GNex upon initial setup (including Wallet) and Wallet failed on startup. You have to fool Wallet and make it think the phone is a GNex, thus the necessary build.prop edit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I speak from experience born from futility.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones