• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Very tempted to jump ship from iOS...

blizeH

Jun 25, 2012
I've had an iPhone ever since the 3G, and honestly couldn't see myself ever switching, but I am so utterly underwhelmed by the iPhone 5 I'm actually considering making the move to Android.

But I'm wondering, what will I miss?

+ The nice interface of iOS?
+ The relatively seamless syncing between my iPad and Apple TV?
+ Gaming, GameCenter and the App Store

And what I certainly won't miss:

- Lack of NFC
- General lack of innovation
- Very expensive storage options (

Im making the jump too for the same reasons. The iphone 5 wasnt enough as decent as the phone looks. I was apple from 3G up to 4S. With the 5 imo still lacking behind the S3 i had to get real. Your own pros and consist list says it all.

Apps are not my main thing though so our needs are different. I dload games and rarely play them. I need a big screen for internet and films. I guess it comes down to being stuck with a nice but sligtly underwhelming phone in the iphone 5 while knowing there are actually better handsets out there. They just dont have the apple on the back.

Reactions: blizeH
Upvote 0
Im making the jump too for the same reasons. The iphone 5 wasnt enough as decent as the phone looks. I was apple from 3G up to 4S. With the 5 imo still lacking behind the S3 i had to get real. Your own pros and consist list says it all.

Apps are not my main thing though so our needs are different. I dload games and rarely play them. I need a big screen for internet and films. I guess it comes down to being stuck with a nice but sligtly underwhelming phone in the iphone 5 while knowing there are actually better handsets out there.

I've had an iPhone ever since the 3G, and honestly couldn't see myself ever switching, but I am so utterly underwhelmed by the iPhone 5 I'm actually considering making the move to Android.

But I'm wondering, what will I miss?

+ The nice interface of iOS?
+ The relatively seamless syncing between my iPad and Apple TV?
+ App Store

The problem for me, is the app store for me probably counters all of those negative points. Though I really wish it didn't - it'll be a nightmare re-buying so many apps for Android too - though if I don't jump now, I'll be locked in even further to the iOS ecosystem.

Ditto here

Upvote 0
The Interface...haha. Honestly, the thing i really dont like is the interface, it may be smooth and easy to get used to, but the bubble everything really rustles my jimmies.

Honestly, I wouldnt switch if you already have an iPad and Apple TV, just because it will make your life harder to have an android then having all these Apple products.

The thing is with Android there is so much more potential to your phone becoming something so much more than what you would think, it doesn't just become a phone, your phone, it becomes you, you personalize it so much to your tastes and what you enjoy and like, it basically becomes a little piece of you. Different from the iPhone which you can't really customize, beyond what app goes on what screen.

Android you can really do whatever you want. Everyone's phone is different when it comes to Android, 5million people might own a Galaxy Nexus like me, but when i unlock my screen, i sure know that no one else's home screen will look just like mine, whether it be that I am running Cyanogen Mod, or have a custom launcher.

Upvote 0
Thank you all very much for the responses, I think you're right regarding switching to Android, last night for example I was able to use the Plex iPhone app to stream a show to my Apple TV, something that simply wouldn't be possible without iOS (Apple TV is a waste of time without AirPlay basically)

Anyway, a friend kindly let me test run his S3 for a while last night, and...

Things I liked:
+ Cost; factoring in micro USB and micro SD slot, I'll save almost

Upvote 0
Just a couple points.
Yes, unfortunately you'll have to repurchase all your apps, no way around that :(
All your apps are backed up through your Google account so you don't have to worry about them. Data for the apps, on the other hand, requires root to backup.

I know the Play Store is much smaller than Apples' but there's usually a substitute app you can find and if you need any help, hit us up.

Upvote 0
Just a couple points.
Yes, unfortunately you'll have to repurchase all your apps, no way around that :(
All your apps are backed up through your Google account so you don't have to worry about them. Data for the apps, on the other hand, requires root to backup.

I know the Play Store is much smaller than Apples' but there's usually a substitute app you can find and if you need any help, hit us up.

hmm I see an article from June 27 2012 that says Play had 600k apps.

And an article from April 6, 2012 claimed 600k for the Apple store. It's probably not the big difference that it once was.

Anyway, the one app I really care about is Softmaker Office, since I want to save and edit docx files on my phone and it should be up on Play any time soon.

Upvote 0
I jumped ship last week. I have had an iPhone since day one in 2007. I also have an iPad 3. After Apple's iPhone 5 announcement I ran to the AT&T store to get a Galaxy S3. I have no regrets. I am amazed how much more flexible the Android OS is.

One of the coolest apps I discovered was ES File Explorer. I can easily navigate my Windows network shares and NAS drives now. I can play MKV and other formats with ease. I was shocked to see how easy it was to play Blu-ray rips on Android.

One of the best features of Android IMHO is no iTunes. I hate that application. It's so easy to copy data to and from the Android with any app on Windows. I happen to use Total Commander which is also available on Android. It's one of the most flexible file managers out there. I love being able to drop music on my phone and get photos off my phone without any iTunes non-sense. And then there are the micro SD cards that Apple refuses to support. It's so cheap to upgrade your own memory on these Androids.

I also love the ability to swap the battery. Granted not all Androids have this but you have choices now, it's not one size fits all with Android.

I also love the message indicator. Boy did I miss that feature when I bought my iPhone. I got a free 3rd party app to fine tune the indicator light. It's also a multi-colored LED so you have lots of choices. I also found there are so many free apps on Google's play store you probably won't be spending as much money as on iTunes.

The other cool thing I noticed was integration with 3rd party apps. Many of features of the phone get integrated in when you install an app. For example the camera option includes Dropbox, Familiar, Flipboard, Skype and many others when you want to copy photo somewhere. I also found the email application pops open ES File Explorer when I pick attachments, so I can easily attach files from my network shares! Apple never had such flexibility.

About the only negative I see on Android is something as good as Facetime. I tried Skype, Google Talk, ooVoo but none of them touch Facetime sound and picture quality.

My iPad will be the next to go. When I am ready to upgrade my iPad it's going to be Android.

Upvote 0
I did it. I went S3.

Feel relieved - even though I'll miss the integration with my other devices (in particular iPad and Apple TV) I'm so disappointed with Apple right now that I'm sure I've made the right decision.

The best part is that the total cost of my contract (100 minutes, unlimited texts and 1.5GB data) came to

Upvote 0
I did it. I went S3.

Feel relieved - even though I'll miss the integration with my other devices (in particular iPad and Apple TV) I'm so disappointed with Apple right now that I'm sure I've made the right decision.

The best part is that the total cost of my contract (100 minutes, unlimited texts and 1.5GB data) came to

Upvote 0
I did it. I went S3.

Upvote 0
just stayyyyyy far far away from Asus. I've gone through 6 defective tablets in a row, im on my 7th and their support line keeps disconnecting me while im on hold waiting to find out if this one is defective or not as well.

I managed to get hold of them last monday and they put me through to a 'manager' which rang for 5 minutes before sending me to an answering machine that told me to leave my phone number.... its been 4 days and still no callback

Waiting to get hold of them again just results in their automated system telling me all agents are busy... and after about 10 minutes on hold it hangs up on me

Upvote 0
I did it. I went S3.

Upvote 0
just stayyyyyy far far away from Asus. I've gone through 6 defective tablets in a row, im on my 7th and their support line keeps disconnecting me while im on hold waiting to find out if this one is defective or not as well.

I managed to get hold of them last monday and they put me through to a 'manager' which rang for 5 minutes before sending me to an answering machine that told me to leave my phone number.... its been 4 days and still no callback

Waiting to get hold of them again just results in their automated system telling me all agents are busy... and after about 10 minutes on hold it hangs up on me

That unfair to say. I have a transformer prime and have not had one issue with it.

I love my ASUS product. Now lets not hijack this thread with a personal rant. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones