• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Video format for Galaxy s 2

Today I found a article"Video Format for Sumsung Galaxy S 2 Play Test" from the blog: Video Format for Sumsung Galaxy S 2 Play Test - Tablet & Smartphone FAQ

I think it's useful for us, so I share it here.

Samsung has produced some good Android smartphones ever, and Galaxy S II is not a exception. It has a brilliant screen, a fast processor and a great camera, and also offers blazing performance. After playing with Galaxy S II for over two weeks, I did some sample test for playing movies on it.

From user manual of Sumsung Galaxy S 2, we know its supported formats.
Audio Formats: MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WMA, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY, FLAC, XMF
Video Formats: MPEG4, H.264, H.263, WMV, DivX, Xvid, VC-1, Recording & Playback
1080@30fps

When I import video file into the smartphone, it prompts that

Yesterday when I tried to play a .avi format file on the phone, it said format not supported cannot play.
But when I transfered a different video file, same .avi format, the phone was able to play it.
I do not know why it was able to play one, but reject the other, when they have same formats ? Any suggestions....?
AVI is a container format, which could include several codings, but only limited codings can be supported by Galaxy S 2, like MPEG4, H.264, Xvid. So in the first place, you need to ensure that the video coding is correct. I suggest you install Mediainfo and drag your video file into it to check the detail of video coding. If the video coding is not mentioned above, you need to convert your video coding to correct one.

Reactions: Unam
Upvote 0
Updating this topic on my experience over the year, whilst the right video app can play any video format, it plays some in 'software encode' mode which can cause the phone to crash completely.

9 times out of 10 soft encode mode leads to my SG2 locking up completely, resulting in me having to take the battery out to restart it (thankfully i have a phone that has a removable battery).

I moved from Moboplayer to MX player because i incorrectly believed it was the app, but MX player makes it more apparent which encode it uses with the start of each video, thus i noticed that only the software encode videos cause the crash, not hardware mode (which i'm assuming is the codecs the phone hardware is programmed to play).

So yeah, unfortunately whilst the SG2 can play a lot of video formats, some that play are forced into software encode mode and can cause the phone to crash / freeze complete so be warned.

I shall be converting the videos that my phone currently plays in software encode mode to a format the hardware supports, such as H264 / Xvid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones