• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Viper4Android Issues, Complains about Busybox but it's correct

hapworth

Feb 19, 2016
Oy, hate to add another thing to this thread. I am at a total loss...

So after my last thread trying to figure out a storage solution (even just to get apps to move to the sd card... and playing with everything from Xposed with XInternal, forcing permissive on SELinux on some ROM, and getting completely lost), I figured I might be screwing things up further, so I started fresh... wiped everything, and thought I'd tackle Viper4Android.

I'm currently on BlissPop but have tried this on Carbon. It keeps telling me to Install the Drivers, and I keep getting the error that make sure busybox is the right version. I had trouble installing it earlier but managed to flash it through the ROM on a flash BlissPop install. Here are things I have tried...

1. Installing via the apk on a completed install.
2. Flashing it right after flashing Gapps on a fresh install of BlissPop.
3. Flashing it alongside files other threads have mentioned (a build.props tweaks and soundfix lib zips).

Nothing. Supplemental Apps installed are...

SuperSU Free v2.65 (seems to be working, Root Checker verifies I'm rooting just fine)
BusyBox v.1.24.1-Stericson

Viper4Android 2.4.0.1 is the file I'm working off of. I attempted it with the previous version which just would keep telling me to try installing it again. This version seems to inform me about busybox not being happy.

I've also installed Busybox on Rails (some post recommended it) and it seems to think my version is just fine. Loading up BusyBox Free still shows that Stericson is what's active.

And according to Settings, my SELinux is already on Permissive.

I don't believe BlissPop even comes with another Audio App that could be in the way, even so, I flashed it right after the install so it would have removed it anyway. And yes, I had tried not flashing it right away too and the same issues pop up.

What am I missing here? I've gone through several dalvik and cache wipes to double check, and have verified the checksums of everything I've downloaded.

Thanks!
-h

Update... Managed to change message but still not working. Went into SuperSU and unchecked "Mount Namespace Separation".

It's no longer complaining about the BusyBox version, just asks if they want to update, I hit yes and reboot, and nothing changes (asks to install again).

Oy, hate to add another thing to this thread. I am at a total loss...

So after my last thread trying to figure out a storage solution (even just to get apps to move to the sd card... and playing with everything from Xposed with XInternal, forcing permissive on SELinux on some ROM, and getting completely lost), I figured I might be screwing things up further, so I started fresh... wiped everything, and thought I'd tackle Viper4Android.

I'm currently on BlissPop but have tried this on Carbon. It keeps telling me to Install the Drivers, and I keep getting the error that make sure busybox is the right version. I had trouble installing it earlier but managed to flash it through the ROM on a flash BlissPop install. Here are things I have tried...

1. Installing via the apk on a completed install.
2. Flashing it right after flashing Gapps on a fresh install of BlissPop.
3. Flashing it alongside files other threads have mentioned (a build.props tweaks and soundfix lib zips).

Nothing. Supplemental Apps installed are...

SuperSU Free v2.65 (seems to be working, Root Checker verifies I'm rooting just fine)
BusyBox v.1.24.1-Stericson

Viper4Android 2.4.0.1 is the file I'm working off of. I attempted it with the previous version which just would keep telling me to try installing it again. This version seems to inform me about busybox not being happy.

I've also installed Busybox on Rails (some post recommended it) and it seems to think my version is just fine. Loading up BusyBox Free still shows that Stericson is what's active.

And according to Settings, my SELinux is already on Permissive.

I don't believe BlissPop even comes with another Audio App that could be in the way, even so, I flashed it right after the install so it would have removed it anyway. And yes, I had tried not flashing it right away too and the same issues pop up.

What am I missing here? I've gone through several dalvik and cache wipes to double check, and have verified the checksums of everything I've downloaded.

Thanks!
-h

Upvote 0
Update... Managed to change message but still not working. Went into SuperSU and unchecked "Mount Namespace Separation".

It's no longer complaining about the BusyBox version, just asks if they want to update, I hit yes and reboot, and nothing changes (asks to install again).
Viper sucks any ways lol I got something u can flash that will make all audio loud on the phone ring tones YouTube every thing gaming

Reactions: hapworth
Upvote 0
Thanks! Looks like that installed fine. But stubborn ol me just wants to know viper won't work. Does anyone know what's actually going on behind the scenes with this?

Also, anyway to remove Viper from the Settings menu and replace it with this?

Lastly, saw something about a Viper+DD and Atmos editions (as well as beats), some of which don't require crazy permissions. Worth trying?

Thanks!
-h

Upvote 0
Thanks! Looks like that installed fine. But stubborn ol me just wants to know viper won't work. Does anyone know what's actually going on behind the scenes with this?

Also, anyway to remove Viper from the Settings menu and replace it with this?

Lastly, saw something about a Viper+DD and Atmos editions (as well as beats), some of which don't require crazy permissions. Worth trying?

Thanks!
-h
Root browser will remove it device/system/priv

Reactions: hapworth
Upvote 0
Root browser will remove it device/system/priv

Sorry, can you go into more detail? I don't quite understand. It seems to be a common issue but a lot of people don't seem to have any problems. I'd chalk it up to different phones but in this case, we're all using an identical setup!

Is there anyway around this? Does priv-app have anything to do with it?

Unless you're referring to removing Viper from the Settings menu. If I delete the right files, will it break the menu option or somehow find Dolby?

Thanks!
-h

Upvote 0
Another update... I switched over to Nameless (BlissPop was draining my battery faster than I would have liked) and installed Viper successfully using this Viper Atmos distro located here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/viperaudio-viperatmos-3-8-sq-driver-t3289075

In case it matters... I setup Nameless by flashing with gapps, the latest SuperSU and Busybox before even starting first.

After noticing that Nameless uses DSP Manager, I flashed Viper Atmos as per the instructions on that link and worked perfectly.

Now to figure out moving apps to sd ...

Thanks to all!
-h

Sorry, can you go into more detail? I don't quite understand. It seems to be a common issue but a lot of people don't seem to have any problems. I'd chalk it up to different phones but in this case, we're all using an identical setup!

Is there anyway around this? Does priv-app have anything to do with it?

Unless you're referring to removing Viper from the Settings menu. If I delete the right files, will it break the menu option or somehow find Dolby?

Thanks!
-h

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones