• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Virgin emails not configurable

D

Deleted User

I have an @ntlworld.com email address and I have been trying to configure my virgin mails to work on my SGS2 it wont even get past the incoming settings. It just fails to connect to the server and cannot finish the setup...

I was wondering if anyone else is facing the same issues.

There is an issue with most ntlworld accounts (including mine) that means you cannot send emails through any device other than your VM modem. In practice this means that at home on Wifi you can send emails from your phone, but out and about away from your home network you can't.

However, never had a problem setting up email details for incoming. Are you using the latest settings as described here? They changed them a year or so ago.

Upvote 0
There is an issue with most ntlworld accounts (including mine) that means you cannot send emails through any device other than your VM modem. In practice this means that at home on Wifi you can send emails from your phone, but out and about away from your home network you can't.

However, never had a problem setting up email details for incoming. Are you using the latest settings as described here? They changed them a year or so ago.

This is all very true. Ive been unable to send mail via my Ntlworld account for years from anywhere but home. I have to log into the VM site itself and use the browser client. Outlook is a no go.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem setting up my ntlworld e-mail. Despite calls to both virgin and orange they could not solve the problem. However a mate did. he informed me that you have to register with the " Social hub" first. This sounded rubbish but in the end i did. And it worked straight off mate. The social hub is the orange coloured widget!!

Give it a try mate. . worked for me.

Gareth

Upvote 0
I had this problem initially until I read on a forum somewhere to use the virgin SMTP server rather than ntlworld one, now works fine. My settings are

outgoing
smtp.virgin.net SSL (accept all certs) Port 465 require sign in ticked with full ntlworld email address as username

incoming
user name - user name (without @ntlworld.com)
POP3 - pop.ntlworld.com (note no 3)
sec type - none
port - 110

Hope this helps you.

Upvote 0
Ok update, got this working on mine...My friends gf has an HTC Desire HD, now she has virgin email as well but when I put her creds in it fails every time.

I have since learnt she receives email to her own email address BUT her dads account is the main account so my question is...

If she has her own address why will this not authenticate? Does she enter her email address along with her dads password? She enters her email and her own password to look at mail on the web page....

For the purpose of sending/receiving mail does she go via her dads (Main) account.. Very confusing!! lol

Upvote 0
You need to set it up manualy use these settings :

Type of information Settings to enter

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name smtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP SSL Enabled
SMTP port 465
SMTP authentication Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
SMTP username Full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

=================

Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name pop3.virginmedia.com
POP3 SSL Enabled
POP3 port 995
POP3 authentication Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
POP3 username Full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com
POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication) Disabled
=================

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

IMAP4 server name imap.virginmedia.com
IMAP4 SSL Enabled
IMAP4 port 993
IMAP4 authentication Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
IMAP4 username Full e-mail address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com
IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication) Disabled

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones