• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Virgin mobile fails security 101, leaves 6 million accounts vulnerable

yes, big problem.

I change mine once in awhile and have no reason to share it with anyone.

but i DO know of some times where a friend or family member had to see something, maybe if someone called someone else who they were not supposed to, or to get a number they lost when they reset a phone.

its always been between people close enough to know their birthday, and the password in all cases HAS been the birthday.... thats also why i never put my real birthday online and dont tell anyone it either.

anyways, yes, i have seen virgin mobile accounts gone into VERY easily. scarily easily. and I think something needs to be done about it.

Upvote 0
This part is what really stood out to me

A 6-digit pin only results in around 1 million possible combinations, and the system does not freeze the account after a certain number of failed password attempts. Hackers can therefore easily use brute-force hacking methods to access a customer's account, as long as they know the mobile phone number.

IMO this makes the system very easy to hack since just about anyone can with a bit of tech knowledge can do this

Upvote 0
Also being that Virgin Mobile defaults your pin as your birth day, there are way less than 1 million combinations for those right?

digit 1= 0 or 1 for the first number of the month
digit 2= 1-9 and 10 11 12 for the other half of the month (probably have this one wrong)
digit 3= 0-3 for the days in a month
digit 4= 0-9 second half of the days
digit 5= 0-9
digit 6=0-9

So that is 2x12x4x10x10x10=~ 96,000 or possibly less if I calculated wrong.

Upvote 0
Also being that Virgin Mobile defaults your pin as your birth day, there are way less than 1 million combinations for those right?

digit 1= 0 or 1 for the first number of the month
digit 2= 1-9 and 10 11 12 for the other half of the month (probably have this one wrong)
digit 3= 0-3 for the days in a month
digit 4= 0-9 second half of the days
digit 5= 0-9
digit 6=0-9

So that is 2x12x4x10x10x10=~ 96,000 or possibly less if I calculated wrong.

Well if your thinking in terms of Combinations and Permutations the max is literally 1,000,000 and the absolute minimum is 5,005 (assuming all you know is the phone number and not the 6 digit V-Key)

- Its been awhile since i've had math class so im not entirely sure how accurate i am either :p

you can find an explanation of the formulas i used here: Combinations and Permutations

Upvote 0
I don't think that it's an attractive target for a random hacker, not much to be gained monetarily however a pissed off ex could definitely be problematic both knowing your phone number plus possibly able to make a very educated guess on what your pin might be. Just to stir up crap or possibly spy on your communications.

Upvote 0
I don't think that it's an attractive target for a random hacker, not much to be gained monetarily however a pissed off ex could definitely be problematic both knowing your phone number plus possibly able to make a very educated guess on what your pin might be. Just to stir up crap or possibly spy on your communications.

If someone finds out that your number is in virgin, they could brute force your pin, get a cheap optimus v, change the phone on your account and impersonate you through text and listen to your voicemail, and make calls.

This is a huge security threat and I'm not sure virgin would even do anything about it.

Upvote 0
If someone finds out that your number is in virgin, they could brute force your pin, get a cheap optimus v, change the phone on your account and impersonate you through text and listen to your voicemail, and make calls.

This is a huge security threat and I'm not sure virgin would even do anything about it.

That's true but as I posted previously for the majority of black hats I just don't see them getting involved because of the relatively slim pickings. I realize that when it's your/my account it makes it seem drastic but this vulnerability has existed for over 5 years including Sprint itself without any notice of it occurring in the wild let alone it being widespread. Again I really believe that we have more to worry about with this issue from an aquantance seeking revenge rather than a bunch of script kiddies.

Upvote 0
If someone finds out that your number is in virgin...

I think that's a fairly important statement. How exactly would someone know you were a Virgin Mobile customer, and have your phone number? Unless they were a personal friend, or you were silly and posted this information somewhere on the Internet.

I'd have to agree with a previous post, unless the hacker was just interested in screwing with something, I'm struggling to see a serious risk here - it's basically security by obscurity, and the payoff for all that work is so poor.

I see things like Facebook, and the amount of personal information (about you) that they harbor and can use as they please at any point in the future as something that is far more dangerous than the situation mentioned in this post, yet folks turn a blind eye towards it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones