• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [ROM] AdvancedStock7 11/17/2014 OVERCLOCKED+STABLE+BATTERY_LIFE!

For the rooted stock version ROM, when selecting the 'mic' button in a text field from the keyboard, a dialog box is displayed that allows the toggling between the keyboard and the mic and when recording the message to be placed in the text field, the recording app allows pauses in speech without timing out.

When performing the same function/process in AdvancedStock7 ROM, the dialog box that allows toggling is absent and the recording process doesn't allow for any pauses. If the recording process does not detect any speech for more than a half second or so, the recording app times out and a list of possible 'phrases' is displayed.

I'm guessing that in the process of making additional space for this ROM, the system app handling the speech recording in a text field may have been removed . Just need to know what that system app is so I can pull it from the Supplemental flash file.

Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

------------

Upvote 0
Yes, it was removed from the system to reserve space for other things. Unfortunately it can not be restored with a simple flash at this time. You might want to try installing Google Voice search if you haven't already, if that does not work let me know, there is a file in /system/etc that needs to be put back on the system to get TTS/STT to work properly.

I wish I was still working on this ROM for you guys, but I cannot continue the work any longer. Something you can also try is flashing the Google voice app found in the supplemental pack in the OP.

Upvote 0
You might want to try installing Google Voice search if you haven't already, if that does not work let me know, there is a file in /system/etc that needs to be put back on the system to get TTS/STT to work properly.

I wish I was still working on this ROM for you guys, but I cannot continue the work any longer. Something you can also try is flashing the Google voice app found in the supplemental pack in the OP.

Yes, I have already installed Google Voice Search, however, there must be another component to the voice to text dictation. I tried performing a Google search on the same issue I'm having but didn't find anything.

Would appreciate any help on the file name referenced for the TTS/STT to work as it does in the stock ROM.

------------

Upvote 0
Try installing from the LG SUP. Pack:
Velvet.apk - Stock google voice search app that came with the stock rom
GoogleTTS.apk - Google Text to Speech (It might do Speech to Text also? I never tested it as i never needed this feature)
talkback.apk - Google Text to Speech Accessibility engine.
VoiceSearchStub.apk - The name gives this one away, it is a lib file installer for voice search most likely.

I am still unsure on which would help, but these three apps are in the Stock ROM but not AS7. I hope this helps you in the search for fixing Voice search and Speech to Text.

Upvote 0
Try installing from the LG SUP. Pack:
Velvet.apk - Stock google voice search app that came with the stock rom
GoogleTTS.apk - Google Text to Speech (It might do Speech to Text also? I never tested it as i never needed this feature)
talkback.apk - Google Text to Speech Accessibility engine.
VoiceSearchStub.apk - The name gives this one away, it is a lib file installer for voice search most likely.
I've never worked with this supplemental zip before. Can specific apps be chosen from this zip or do I need to pull all the apk's mentioned and drop them in a folder? If I need to drop in a folder, which folder do these apk's go into?

------------

Upvote 0
Are we going to be blessed with a "V8" edition of this ROM? It really has features I like, but I'm wondering if a "V8" based version would have better reception, etc..due to the updated firmware?
This ROM is STILL the best rom for this phone!
V8's are better at better at everything, cars, updates in firmware... Hahaha

As for an update to V8, as the op does not have an F3 anymore, there might not be much work done to this ROM anymore :(

Reactions: nannycrick
Upvote 0
Then I wish Sandix the very best with his next project, thanks for all the hard work! Currently I'm running PureStockv8, but I've kept my CWMT backup of ASv20, just in case I change my mind! (Yes, I'm a girl! We do that! :D ) I'm still hoping the team over at the CyanogenMod ROM will be successful! Thanks again everyone for making a little, ordinary, boring phone, and turning it into enjoyment!

Reactions: sandix and harold95
Upvote 0
Then I wish Sandix the very best with his next project, thanks for all the hard work! Currently I'm running PureStockv8, but I've kept my CWMT backup of ASv20, just in case I change my mind! (Yes, I'm a girl! We do that! :D ) I'm still hoping the team over at the CyanogenMod ROM will be successful! Thanks again everyone for making a little, ordinary, boring phone, and turning it into enjoyment!
Thank you for the kind words, I might push out one more update for old times sake. ;) It will take a week or two to do, but watch out for update 22 final (skipping 21 because well, I can, and 22 sounds real nice)

Reactions: nannycrick
Upvote 0
That's what I did belonging erything . seems to work as it does on stock ROM. Not sure what file out of the three or four actually fixed the problem. If I get brave, I may disable one at a time and find out for my OCD tendencies :)

------------
I had a similar problem with an HTC Evo V 3D rom. (a "hacked" phone of my old man's) He needed Google Voice to Text to work because he was running a "hands free" app. He was a truck driver at the time. The dev of his rom must have left out some support files. I fixed it by flashing a signed version of GAPPS for android 4.0.4, his rom. It worked! Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Sandix....I said in my previous post that I might go back to AS7, and I did! Once you run the best, the rest are just "mediocre"! I had issues with WiFi tethering working (or rather not) in PureStockv8. I GOTTA have tether for the occasional PC hookup. Glad I kept my last backup! Can't wait for v22!
No pressure buddy! Enjoy your holidays

Reactions: sandix
Upvote 0
Sandix....I said in my previous post that I might go back to AS7, and I did! Once you run the best, the rest are just "mediocre"! I had issues with WiFi tethering working (or rather not) in PureStockv8. I GOTTA have tether for the occasional PC hookup. Glad I kept my last backup! Can't wait for v22!
No pressure buddy! Enjoy your holidays
I am glad that everyone is enjoying this ROM.

I am also honored to have it called "The best" for the Optimus F3 from a lot of the community.
Thank you all for the support!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones