• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile/Sprint] [ROM] AdvancedStock7 11/17/2014 OVERCLOCKED+STABLE+BATTERY_LIFE!

Hi all, just found this thread while searching for low space solutions for my LG F3 (VM). My phone is android 4.1.2, kernel 3.4.0, build JZO54K, software LS720ZV6. I know it has been discussed a few times but I am a noob so I still have a few questions:
1. Can I use this ROM to replace existing VM stock right away? Do I need to root first, or just follow the instructions (from downloading USB driver)?
2. Does this ROM provide back up also? Or do I need to back up separately?
3. Any recommendation of back up or root method? (If needed)
I saw links for Saferoot but not sure if it overlaps with this ROM or not. I don't want to root it if I don't need to.
As for back up, I saw CWM recovery method, but again, not sure if it will interfere with this or not.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Upvote 0
I recommend migrating as much as you can to your SD card using a file manager. I use File Manager by Cheetah Mobile from Google Play. It's free & small download size is good.
This rom is based on deodex v7. I doesn't include a recovery. You'll have to install that separately. (second step after rooting). The guide for rooting is posted at the beginning of this forum. (The All Things Root Guide).
Also, you'll want to make a new folder in your computer just for your phone files, SD card backups, rom downloads, root utilities, etc.
AdvancedStock is a Rooted rom so you HAVE to be rooted FIRST to run it. Do your research ahead of time,and ALWAYS backup everything you can

Last edited:
Reactions: sandix
Upvote 0
I recommend migrating as much as you can to your SD card using a file manager. I use File Manager by Cheetah Mobile from Google Play. It's free & small download size is good.
This rom is based on deodex v7. I doesn't include a recovery. You'll have to install that separately. (second step after rooting). The guide for rooting is posted at the beginning of this forum. (The All Things Root Guide).
Also, you'll want to make a new folder in your computer just for your phone files, SD card backups, rom downloads, root utilities, etc.
AdvancedStock is a Rooted rom so you HAVE to be rooted FIRST to run it. Do your research ahead of time,and ALWAYS backup everything you can
Thanks, nannycrick. I thought it needs to be rooted too. So I will try rooting first.

Upvote 0
Thanks, nannycrick. I thought it needs to be rooted too. So I will try rooting first.

Steps to install if the phone was either just bought from the store, or you have never rooted before:

1. Root phone using towelroot.com (From the phone)
  2. After rooting, follow the isntructions to install CWM Touch or TWRP (Recommend TWRP: Click Here )
  3. Activate the phone using the Activate phone function in settings.
  4. Download and copy AdvancedStock7 - Version 20 from the OP.
  5. Reboot into recovery (USE ONLY THE BUTTON COMBO TO DO THIS OR THE BOOTLOADER WILL ERASE EVERYTHING (VOL DOWN + POWER WHEN BOOTING UP))
  6. Install the AdvancedStock7 ROM, And be sure to follow the OP instructions!!!
  7. Profit.

Upvote 0
Steps to install if the phone was either just bought from the store, or you have never rooted before:

2. After rooting, follow the isntructions to install CWM Touch or TWRP (Recommend TWRP: Click Here )
  5. Reboot into recovery (USE ONLY THE BUTTON COMBO TO DO THIS OR THE BOOTLOADER WILL ERASE EVERYTHING (VOL DOWN + POWER WHEN BOOTING UP))
  7. Profit.
Dear Sandix,
I noticed that you created this ROM. You're the man!
Anyhow, thanks for the detailed instructions, few questions:
1. Can I really root using towelroot.com directly from my LG F3 phone?
I tried going to the website from the phone and download the APK and install them but there seems to be nothing happening to my phone, is it rooted yet?
Excuse my ignorance, I am a noob, so I can't tell.
2. I tried TWRP but it looks like it is a bit complicated since I need a USB links etc, so I tried downloading flashify as per instructions for CWM Touch and it is successful but it says that No Root, No Root/Super User.
What did I do wrong?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Dear Sandix,
I noticed that you created this ROM. You're the man!
Anyhow, thanks for the detailed instructions, few questions:
1. Can I really root using towelroot.com directly from my LG F3 phone?
I tried going to the website from the phone and download the APK and install them but there seems to be nothing happening to my phone, is it rooted yet?
Excuse my ignorance, I am a noob, so I can't tell.
2. I tried TWRP but it looks like it is a bit complicated since I need a USB links etc, so I tried downloading flashify as per instructions for CWM Touch and it is successful but it says that No Root, No Root/Super User.
What did I do wrong?

Thanks again
Sorry, I spoke (wrote) too soon. I forgot to open the towelroot app. Sorry, my bad.
Now, it says I have root access, and flashify also confirms that.
Will go through your next steps and update you.

Thanks Sandix

Upvote 0

7. Profit.
Hi Sandix,
I think I managed to install your custom ROM, few more questions:
1. Why does the screen always show SECURE BOOT ERROR when LG logo shows up?
Is it normal?
2. Why does the storage only show 801MB after installing your custom ROM, not 1.00GB as the stock before all the unnecessary updates, obviously.
3. I also got update device errors, oh well, I can live with it I guess.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Hi Sandix,
I think I managed to install your custom ROM, few more questions:
1. Why does the screen always show SECURE BOOT ERROR when LG logo shows up?
Is it normal?
2. Why does the storage only show 801MB after installing your custom ROM, not 1.00GB as the stock before all the unnecessary updates, obviously.
3. I also got update device errors, oh well, I can live with it I guess.

Thanks,
I will answer your questions in order:
1. Yes the secure boot error is normal as This rom installs a custom kernel.
2. Did you setup any accounts like google, facebook, etc? It could be possible the play store was updated which would cause that space to be taken up, you can review my screenshots from the OP to see that it does in fact leave ~1.00GB
3. Update errors are normal on boot. The Update Device error will pop up ONCE per boot. This is related to LG OTA updates, of which I removed from the ROM.

I am glad you got the ROM working on your phone, if you have any issues, please let me know!

Upvote 0
I will answer your questions in order:
1. Yes the secure boot error is normal as This rom installs a custom kernel.
2. Did you setup any accounts like google, facebook, etc? It could be possible the play store was updated which would cause that space to be taken up, you can review my screenshots from the OP to see that it does in fact leave ~1.00GB
3. Update errors are normal on boot. The Update Device error will pop up ONCE per boot. This is related to LG OTA updates, of which I removed from the ROM.

I am glad you got the ROM working on your phone, if you have any issues, please let me know!
Hi Sandix,
Thanks for your response.
I think I found out why the storage only shows 801MB, I saw 274MB in Download folder, including the zipped files of your ROM (which I downloaded before installing the ROM), towel root apk and CWM Touch image.

1. Is it safe to delete any of these? I am not planning to remove the zipped ROM and CWM Touch image but I plan to remove the towelroot apk if it is no longer needed. Not sure if it will affect the root status of the phone or not. Should I leave them?

2. I also found that the phone is making some pinging or ringing sounds sometimes, not sure why, it is not a phone ringtone, but it went off when I swiped away the new email notifications. Is it for the incoming email or something else?

3. Also, another comment, I found that the F-Droid cannot install the original LG Email apk from your Repo. I could download it fine in F-Droid but cannot install it. Tried a few times to no avail. It went through the installation process but somehow cannot complete it. I have to get another Mail app from the Play Store and install it instead. No big deal, just letting you know.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
For the lg email app use the lg supplemental pack from my OP its a zip download that you flash. You will see what I mean when you flash it.

As for the ROM zip, now that the ROM is running, it should be safe to remove. I would backup through recovery first, just to make sure you have a good backup. As for the random "notification sound" I have not heard of, or experienced it before. Maybe a little more detail on that could help me out

Upvote 0
I just installed the ROM and love it. Thank you so much for your hard work, sandix.
I input the specified mms settings into chompSMS and pictures would not send and receive with 4g enabled. I enabled just cdma and it worked. Is there anything that can be done? I know this has been discussed a bit already so hopefully I'm not doing anything stupid.

Upvote 0
Rom Review Update-
I'm still loving this rom! Great work everyone! I just had a couple of issues, and thought I would share how I fixed them.
Keyboard: didn't like Hackers, so I install Perfect Keyboard Free from Google Play. Convert it to system app using Links2SD. Works without a hitch. Even gives you word suggestions.
Developed a problem with my old sd card. (SanDisk class 4 8gb. It was losing & corrupting my photos and video. (perhaps it couldn't handle SD Swap anymore!? ) Bought a SanDisk class 10 16gb card. Gallery was still having issue. I uninstalled, then reinstalled it using the Deodex v7 copy via Titanium Backup! (Those stray backups really do come in handy!)
Reinstalled my fav stock lge alarmclock.apk and the stock video player from the same backup. Everything works as it should. My pics, videos are working correctly just in time for Christmas!
I still couldn't get F-Droid to load anything but the standard repo. Oh well. A handy tip.. open a file in your computer named Titanium Backups with dates so you can save those "stray" apk backups. They can be a butt saver!

Reactions: DevoutDev
Upvote 0
Sandix- got a tech question for ya..
I seem to be having a random double post/download issue. I don't know what's causing it. I get the dble posts on my Facebook page, but when I close it, then reopen, it's only shows one. Google Play sometimes downloads an app TWICE before install. That eats the sh*# out of my "unlimited" data from VM! Might it be a GAPPS issue? Am I infected? I've cleared cache & dalvik. I run SD Maid Pro which is the best cleaner for rooted phones! I've done everything I know to do. Got any ideas?

Upvote 0
I seem to be having a random double post/download issue. I don't know what's causing it. I get the dble posts on my Facebook page, but when I close it, then reopen, it's only shows one. Google Play sometimes downloads an app TWICE before install. That eats the sh*# out of my "unlimited" data from VM! Might it be a GAPPS issue? Am I infected? I've cleared cache & dalvik. I run SD Maid Pro which is the best cleaner for rooted phones! I've done everything I know to do. Got any ideas?

This might be an internet connectivity issue, try connecting to a different network and doing the same thing again.

Reactions: nannycrick
Upvote 0
Something I've noticed with the Quiet Mode: I can set the times for Quiet Mode and everything works as expected - until I reboot phone. Quiet mode quits working until I go into settings and redefine the times. Not a big deal but a little annoying.

------------
Something I noticed, is that it does the same thing on the Stock ROM. I am assuming that the quiet mode does this by default? I do not use this feature so I do not know. I also do not have this phone anymore so I cannot say for sure what might cause it.

Upvote 0

Thanks! I'll try that. I thought it may have had something to do with my last nandroid backup. It was on my old sd card which I flashed to try to fix the issue, then found out the card had bad sectors. I bought the new card & flashed v20 from the zip, but my apk backups were made by TI on my "old flash". Maybe corrupt too? I keep Facebook as a user app not a system. If it needs updating, I uninstall, then install the new one. The FB app is SO big! I save memory space this way, I think?!? The " new flash" seems to be settling down now. It's just weird!

And a note. I run Google Keyboard as a default. Their new version works flawlessly with this ROM & has personalized options and themes. Beautiful, smooth & nice! Just an FYI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the instructions for activation of the LG Optimus F3 in the OP, there is a statement:

'Make sure the ESN AND IMEI number are on your Virgin Mobile Account'.

To me, this does not make sense as that is what I thought the activation process did - that is, add the phone information to a Virgin Mobile Account.

------------
That instruction was just added in there for completion. You know, noobs and stuff. ;)

Upvote 0
Is anyone else seeing random rebooting since Apex Launcher updated? I know it no longer works with android 4.0.4 as my Hubby's rooted Kyocera Event started "Launcher FC looping" after updating. I was able to fix it, but..
Can we change launchers without affecting the ROM as it IS the default w/ lock screen? I have the build.prop mod "grey area" fix running. Should I return it back to default settings before installing a different launcher?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones