• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Voicemail message

Pretty sure thats set at the carrier end and not on your phone... so the only way to do it would be the old school way of playing the mp3 down the phone whilst the network is recording your voicemail method... you might need a second device to do this... but have a go and see what it sounds like

Thank you for replying. I was afraid that was the only way to do it but I thought I would ask in case there was a way I did not know about.

JL

Upvote 0
I think Google Voicemail might allow you to do this, but I am unsure.

However, carrier's definitely don't do this yet.

It sorta does. You can record voicemail messages straight from your PC so they could play the MP3 back to the recorder using Stereo Mix on the PC, and it would be much better quality.

OP may want to consider getting Google Voice anyway. I guarantee its better than the carrier voicemail and you get visual voicemail for free. You have the option to get a new phone number as well, but the voicemail features don't require it. Just enter the code your carrier uses to change the number they forward voicemail calls to.

Upvote 0
It sorta does. You can record voicemail messages straight from your PC so they could play the MP3 back to the recorder using Stereo Mix on the PC, and it would be much better quality.

OP may want to consider getting Google Voice anyway. I guarantee its better than the carrier voicemail and you get visual voicemail for free. You have the option to get a new phone number as well, but the voicemail features don't require it. Just enter the code your carrier uses to change the number they forward voicemail calls to.

Yeah and unless you're stuck with Verizon it should be compatible with your carrier.

Verizon by default won't allow you to directly forward messages. They just tend to build up in 2 different inboxes, it's kind of buggy at the moment, but I kind of got it to work.

Upvote 0
Yeah and unless you're stuck with Verizon it should be compatible with your carrier.

Verizon by default won't allow you to directly forward messages. They just tend to build up in 2 different inboxes, it's kind of buggy at the moment, but I kind of got it to work.

That's bizarre, I've had a Google Voice voicemail with Verizon for 3 years now with no issue. Just *71+voicemail_number. Then set the Voicemail provider on the phone to Google voice.

To be fair, it took 7 months for Verizon to actually allow connections to my number if you were physically in the same state.

Upvote 0
I have VZW and use GV for voicemails without a issue...

That's bizarre, I've had a Google Voice voicemail with Verizon for 3 years now with no issue. Just *71+voicemail_number. Then set the Voicemail provider on the phone to Google voice.

To be fair, it took 7 months for Verizon to actually allow connections to my number if you were physically in the same state.

I'm not saying it's not compatible at all, should of been more clear. It isn't completely compatible. I.E. when you go to your voicemail settings you can just choose Google Voice there.

At least I can't every time I choose.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure thats set at the carrier end and not on your phone... so the only way to do it would be the old school way of playing the mp3 down the phone whilst the network is recording your voicemail method... you might need a second device to do this... but have a go and see what it sounds like
No. You have to record your own voicemail. Android cannot feed music in a loop to the sound card to play into the voicemail without decompiling the kernel, flipping it backwards and upside the wall and etcetera... then recompiling the script. You need to be on a PC and change the mic input to sound card then record on GV.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones