• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (VZW) Needing opinions yet again on my 2nd replacement Nexus

beauseph2012

May 21, 2012
Hey guys. Again here I am after my update, unsure of what my next step is with my 2nd replacement Nexus.

After numerous issues with the Bionic, Verizon gave me a replacement Nexus, had issues with that and now on my 2nd Nexus. I like the phone it's self, but don't like the battery life and reception.

First, the battery life is so strange. I have an extended battery. I keep the screen at 20% power, if not lower. I use wi-fi at home, and do have sync enabled, but the battery is just pathetic. Somedays it does really well, and gets a decent life on it, other days, not so much. I feel like with texting, surfing, and facebooking, I should be able to get a decent amount of time. Not just 5 hours or less on some occassions.

Secondly, reception is great in some places, with the exception of the two places I am the most. My job, and my home. At work. I get 3g coverage, no bars, in 90% of the building. In the other 10% I get 1 bar, sometimes it fluxuates to 2 bars, but usually I have no bars, and 3g/1x coverage. At home, it doesn't matter so much as I have wi-fi but it usually is 1 bar or no bars. My wifi meter seems to spike often too. All my past phones I have had great coverage in my house and place of work.

So now I am just plain discouraged. I do love the phone. Like the design, ICS, etc, but its so frustrating having to constantly charge and plug in or fight for a signal. At work I'll admit its the most frustrating as I am a manager at a grocery store and use my phone alot to text and surf the web but its embarassing trying to get texts to send or to load any webpage or video...my co workers ask to see something or watch a video and it takes forever to load or just plain doesn't load.

So what do I do? Go for another replacement Nexus? Ask for something else? I'd like to say that maybe another Nexus will do the trick, but it seems highly unlikely. It's the reception that kills me more than anything, I can probably live with the battery life or buy another one or two batteries to have but the reception is just pathetic.

Are you just unhappy about low signal bars or is it frequently dropping signal, data out? Unless you are having dropped calls, data, it should be fine as ICS just reports signal lower than previous androids. There was an informative thread on this not too long ago.

Also did you update to 4.0.4 through OTA recently? After that mine seems better at holding 4G connection and radio hand offs though increase in dBm is marginal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones