• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wait for Note 2 or get Galaxy S3?

The multi-view looks like Samsung did some in-house modifications to allow it. And seeing this explains why 2GB would be more beneficial in this particular case and the multi-core CPU to be beneficial. Only provided if it's been coded properly to utilize it.

I'm curious if a user uses a 3rd party Launcher and removes TouchWiz; will they negate certain features on the Note II?

Upvote 0
I'm curious if a user uses a 3rd party Launcher and removes TouchWiz; will they negate certain features on the Note II?

I'm curious about this also. I always use 3rd party launchers because certain oem functions weren't important for me, but there are some functions on the note 2 that I wouldn't want to lose. I was about to download holo launcher cuz it was developed from xda peeps. I'm hoping the way they developed that launcher, maintains certain oem functions.

Upvote 0
I think those features in Note 2 would work with other launchers too. Using Nova or Apex in GS3 doesn't disable all its S-apps at all and it still has touchwiz style menus, settings everywhere. Launcher is only one part of Touchwiz, so replacing that with other launcher wouldn't affect other features.

Best news hearing this. It's too bad I can't test either launcher out right now, since I'm stuck on gingerbread.

Anybody using holo notice any limitations?

Upvote 0
Okay, so I had to go to best buy to check on something, and decided to check out the note size when trying to hold the phone. So glad the note 2 is slightly smaller, cuz I couldn't hold the note 1 comfortably.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348966749838.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348966749838.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 87
  • uploadfromtaptalk1348966763621.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348966763621.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 0
I think those features in Note 2 would work with other launchers too. Using Nova or Apex in GS3 doesn't disable all its S-apps at all and it still has touchwiz style menus, settings everywhere. Launcher is only one part of Touchwiz, so replacing that with other launcher wouldn't affect other features.
I have teh Nova launcher on both my Note 5.3 and 10.1 and I can concur that the S-Pen apps still work fine.

Okay, so I had to go to best buy to check on something, and decided to check out the note size when trying to hold the phone. So glad the note 2 is slightly smaller, cuz I couldn't hold the note 1 comfortably.
If you hold it like that then yeah it will feel a bit uncomfortable, but one gets used to holding it differently after a while.
Once can even get that Flygrip that allows you to really hold it without fearing it will fall from your hands and still reach the top right corner with one hand.

TS

Upvote 0
I have teh Nova launcher on both my Note 5.3 and 10.1 and I can concur that the S-Pen apps still work fine.

If you hold it like that then yeah it will feel a bit uncomfortable, but one gets used to holding it differently after a while.
Once can even get that Flygrip that allows you to really hold it without fearing it will fall from your hands and still reach the top right corner with one hand.

TS

Yeah, I always hold the phone like that when getting out of the car or when waiting on and expecting a call.

We'll see. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to feel comfortable.

Upvote 0
Masta819, you're JUST like me in every aspect you described there, so I can really relate.

If it weren't for iPhone 5 release I wouldn't have had this craving to switch to a new phone. iP5 disappointed me so I'm not getting it but the craving stayed. Note 2 seemed like the best alternative as I wanted something that will outperform an iP5. S3 would be perfect sized but it's still rather old and I can't wait for S4 release, even though it's not that many months.

Smartphones have really changed my computing from sitting on a desktop computer to laying on the sofa or the bed tapping away with my phone, so that kinda justifies the Note 2's size, at least I hope so. Haven't seen one live yet but I briefly tried Note 1 and it was rather bulky. The store clerk was busy and the phone was screwed in the wall with a short cord so I couldn't fit it in my

Upvote 0
Smartphones have really changed my computing from sitting on a desktop computer to laying on the sofa or the bed tapping away with my phone, so that kinda justifies the Note 2's size, at least I hope so.

I'm the same way. I still find myself on work computers and my laptop a lot, but I definitely lay around the house on the couch or in bed fiddling with my Note LTE. I like that it's big enough that I don't need another device, such as a tablet. I read comics on it, do all of my mobile music listening with it and hundreds of other things lol.

Upvote 0

TS

I took my Flygrips and attached them to the back of the phone case so I could switch out my cases. Originally the flygrip was on the actual phone and removing it is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I was afraid I was going to damage my phone from having to use a butter knife to pry the thing off.

Upvote 0

TS
twospirits,

As you have the Note 10.1, can you confirm that the multi-window feature still works using another launcher as well as any other feature the Note 10.1 and 2 have in common that the original Note doesn't?

It would be interesting to know for those who plan on upgrading or getting the device.

TIA.

Upvote 0
I thought I mentioned it before, guess I didn't. But yeah the multiview mode works in Nova launcher which is what I have currently on the Note 10.1.
In fact everything works so far with Nova. I haven't tried it with other launchers but I believe it will work.

TS

I can double confirm :) I happen to be using Chameleon atm though. Changing the launcher will do absolutely nothing but change the way the homescreen looks. It isnt tied into the OS so it will not remove features.

Reactions: NeoGrandizer
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones