• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

wanting to buy a smart phone

Just found this forum and it looks to be the best that i have been lurking at! I am currently on verizon family plan, have been for years an all 3 of my lines are ready for upgrade. I want to get a smart phone for myself and 2 regular non data phones for my wife and daughter. I am looking at the samsung fascinate and really seem to like it and i also looked at the droid x. I liked the feel of the fascinate better but both were nice. ok on to my questions, i see walmart has the fascinate for $48 and verizon has it for $199. Can i upgrade my phone at walmart and use my same plan? i dont want to pay an extra $150 just to get it from verizon. I have a $50 off for my upgrade from verizon but its still more.

1 more question, i see the droid x can be used as a hotspot, can the fascinate do it also?

thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome to Android Forums. Nice of you to mention how good the place is. :D

Your two favorite choices are the same as mine were last year going from an Eris to the Fascinate; the X was the one I went to the store intending to purchase.

Perhaps you'll do what I did, which was to spend a lot of time in the store playing with both. I found myself looking forward to getting back to the Fascinate, as it turns out, mainly because the screen is just better for my ancient eyes. :D No matter how bright I set the X screen, it was not as clear and nice as the Fascinate.

But many choose the X for various other reasons.

About Walmart's policies, I do not know and am hoping somebody who does know will chime in.

Good luck, have fun. :)

Upvote 0
We were Nextel customers, and wanted to upgrade to a data plan so we had to move to Sprint, nothing changed as Sprint owns Nextel.

I would suggest finding what fits. I wanted a QWERTY keyboard, liked the slideout of the Intercept, wanted Android because I am a gmail user, that setup was as easy as loading my user and password. The phone is capable of turn by turn GPS.

Sprint was offering it for $50.00 after rebate upgrade, and $10.00 more a month. Momma sez I want one too. So far I am very happy. I bought mine for specific use and it is doing the job.

Take your time, test drive them, read reviews, you will make a good choice.

John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones