• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

We need YOUR help to root the HTC Droid Eris

As for my reply, (I got the same response as the one posted above), I will be stating that the HTC Hero is NOT the same device as the HTC Desire/Droid Eris, and does not run on the same kernel (obviously, otherwise we probably would have found working exploits already). HTC has legal obligations to provide the kernel source for the actual device, not a similar one. It says so on the phone! Its probably going to be a bit more formal and much longer because I am truly pissed. LET THE EMAILS RAGE ON!

Upvote 0
I don't know about you guys, but part of the reason I have an HTC Android phone, and not a Blackberry, is because it is, or are supposed to be, OPEN-SOURCE and DEVELOPER/HACKER friendly. VZW and HTC are marketing their Android devices this way, and so far its been just a bunch of crap spoonfed to keep the average end-user happy.

Upvote 0
RESPONSE

Hello Brett,

We do understand your concern and frustration in this matter and currently the HTC Hero kernel offered on developer.HTC.com is still capable of meeting your developmental needs for applications that can operate on the Droid Eris. We thank you for your concern in the matter and will relay the information to the proper department for further review. Please visit HTC.com and follow developer.HTC.com for any additional information and updates as they become available.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact us again. You can find additional support at our user forum HTC Smartphone Wiki - HTC. There is also a customer satisfaction survey for you to take if you are interested.

Philip
HTC Technical Support
HTC - Mobile Phones, Smartphones, Cell Phones, PDAs
HTC (htc) on Twitter

Upvote 0
FYI...I got the standard response yesterday as well....I replied with: "Unacceptable answer", they replied with:

I do understand how important it is to be able to use your device to the best of its capabilities. We are not withholding the source code; we are currently working through the legal channels that we must go through to make the source code available to you. When it is available, you will be able to find it on developer.htc.com. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced, and thank you for your patience in this matter.

Philip
HTC Technical Support

Upvote 0
FYI...I got the standard response yesterday as well....I replied with: "Unacceptable answer", they replied with:

I do understand how important it is to be able to use your device to the best of its capabilities. We are not withholding the source code; we are currently working through the legal channels that we must go through to make the source code available to you. When it is available, you will be able to find it on developer.htc.com. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced, and thank you for your patience in this matter.

Philip
HTC Technical Support
I received the exact same response this morning. Although they are now saying they are working through legal channels to release the source code and not referencing the Hero source code anymore. So this may be some progress.

Upvote 0

Philip
HTC Technical Support

same email i got today, Philip is a busy guy :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones