• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Weird issues with Note 10+

dorlow

Android Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2014
So a few weeks ago, I got this Note 10+.  I've been having a lot of weird problems with this phone.  

I can't download any apps over wifi.  (My wife's new pixel 4 works just fine on wifi.)  Downloading apps over 4G works but is super slow.  When I'm on wifi and run speed test, I get over 100 Mb/s.  Can do everything else, browse the web etc.  Just can't download apps.

When using Google maps for navigation, when I first launch it and start navigating, it just shows a dot, not an arrow, and the screen just randomly moves until i drive about a half a mile.  Then it starts working.

Trivia Crack app, when its showing a question, it just shows a blank screen and in the middle, there's icons quickly cycling between all the categories and it never shows me a question.  Then after a minute or so it says I didn't answer in time and I lose my turn.

We have a ring Doorbell and in the ring app, I can't view live video.  It just shows a blue circle and black screen.  But I can view recordings.... just not live video.

All of these issues (except the first issue I listed), I have the problem if I'm on wifi or 4g.

So I figured I was getting close to my 2 week window to return the phone.  I went to Verizon today and exchanged the phone for another exactly same Note 10+.  I'm having all the same issues on the new phone.  (They wouldn't allow me to get a different phone.) What is up with all of these issues?  I've had android phones for over 15 years now and never had all of these issues.

Those are some strange symptoms for a Verizon device. Since I ordered the unlocked version, my Note 10+ settings and features will differ from yours, but let's see what we can do:

I can't download any apps over wifi. (My wife's new pixel 4 works just fine on wifi.) Downloading apps over 4G works but is super slow. When I'm on wifi and run speed test, I get over 100 Mb/s. Can do everything else, browse the web etc. Just can't download apps.

This is really weird. I suggest you go to Settings -- Connections -- Wi-Fi -- (upper right menu) Advanced and go through everything to make sure a switch isn't thrown that shouldn't be. Likewise, Go to Mobile Networks in the Connections settings and ensure Network mode is set to LTE/CDMA. If the problem persists, you'll want to call Verizon and have them help you. Better yet, go to a corporate store and demonstrate the issue.

When using Google maps for navigation, when I first launch it and start navigating, it just shows a dot, not an arrow, and the screen just randomly moves until i drive about a half a mile.  Then it starts working.

The dot is a dead-reckoning locator, based on triangulation of signal strength between various Verizon towers. By determining the distance between your phone and three towers, the phone can locate you within a hundred meters or so. If you see a big blue circle around the dot, that's the area you COULD be in (margin of error). Once you see the arrow, your location is determined with GPS and is accurate to within 3 meters or so.

Trivia Crack app, when its showing a question, it just shows a blank screen and in the middle, there's icons quickly cycling between all the categories and it never shows me a question. Then after a minute or so it says I didn't answer in time and I lose my turn.

I can't help you on this one, as I don't play games.

We have a ring Doorbell and in the ring app, I can't view live video. It just shows a blue circle and black screen. But I can view recordings.... just not live video.

Probably an issue related to your Wi-Fi network not wanting to play nice with your phone. What sort of Wi-Fi network/router do you use?

I'm not sure what you were trying to write than resulted in all the &#160 codes, but I took the liberty of cleaning those up.

Upvote 0
We have Charter cable internet with a Motorola modem/router all in one unit.

I went to a verizon store yesterday and he hooked it to his wifi and was able to download apps. So, I'm puzzled why I can't on my wifi network.

Usually when I try to download an app on my wifi, it downloads half or more, then stalls and never finishes.

Upvote 0
It's particularly bizarre because the Note 10+ is compatible with every Wi-Fi protocol from 802.11a all the way to the latest & greatest, on dual band. The next thought is to call Charter (ewwwwww) and ask tech support what could possibly be blocking your connection. But that doesn't address the slow connection on Verizon data. That might need a call to Samsung tech support... who will probably tell you to call Verizon

:p

Upvote 0
It's particularly bizarre because the Note 10+ is compatible with every Wi-Fi protocol from 802.11a all the way to the latest & greatest, on dual band. The next thought is to call Charter (ewwwwww) and ask tech support what could possibly be blocking your connection. But that doesn't address the slow connection on Verizon data. That might need a call to Samsung tech support... who will probably tell you to call Verizon

stickouttongue.png

Ok, I dont know what changed, but today I'm able to download apps over wifi. Although when downloading apps, it sits at 'waiting for download' for a minute or so. Over 4g, I dont have that problem. I think the slow 4g is just because we dont have that great 4g signal at the house. When I'm downtown, 4g is fast.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I don't know what Wi-Fi protocol you're using, or how many connected devices are fighting over the bandwidth. I use a Linksys Velop 802.11ac mesh network with 3 nodes around the house: so anywhere I go, I have great Wi-Fi signal strength, But I can also assign three devices as having priority over everything else, our phones being two of them. If your router allows you to set priority devices, you might want to try that.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I don't know what Wi-Fi protocol you're using, or how many connected devices are fighting over the bandwidth. I use a Linksys Velop 802.11ac mesh network with 3 nodes around the house: so anywhere I go, I have great Wi-Fi signal strength, But I can also assign three devices as having priority over everything else, our phones being two of them. If your router allows you to set priority devices, you might want to try that.

I think mine is AC also. We also have a netgear range extender that I use to plug our magic Jack phone into... I just tried to connect to that SSID and I had the same issues. Trivia Crack wont show me questions when connected to wifi, but works just fine using 4G.

Here's a screenshot what it looks like in trivia crack when trying to view a question. I just tried to uninstall it and reinstall it and same issue.

Well I just ordered a Netgear R7000 router. Well see if changing to this router fixes the issue. Our existing modem is modem and router combo. I'll have to turn the wifi off on the Motorola modem.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200125-125711_Trivia Crack.jpg
    Screenshot_20200125-125711_Trivia Crack.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Well I just ordered a Netgear R7000 router. Well see if changing to this router fixes the issue. Our existing modem is modem and router combo. I'll have to turn the wifi off on the Motorola modem.
good call. I never liked those modem/router combos. was just going to suggest that you might have a router issue. keep us posted.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
Ok, so just got the new router delivered. Just hooked it up. The new router was able to use all the same ssid and keys. I turned off the wifi on my modem router combo. So far, all the issues I've had went away. I can now download apps, see facebook posts and use my ring app to view live video. Dont know why this phone just wasn't compatible with our old router but worked just fine for my wife's phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones