• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What app will control my Wifi ?

If you're geeky, you should look into Tasker. It can do this easily and a LOT of other stuff. But it has a steep learning curve and it's pricier than most apps in the Market. But well worth the cost if you know how to take advantage of it.

If you're NOT geeky, you can try Setting Profiles. I actually used this to turn my wifi on/off (based on rules). There's a lite version and a Pro version. I actually got the Pro version as I needed more than 1 rule active at a time...and didn't know about Tasker when I bought it.

I used Wifi Toggle for a while, that might be all you need. It did a good job of turning my wifi on/off as needed. Very simple, no brainer kind of app.

Then there's also Juice Defender, but you would need Ultimate Juice (paid key for JD) to automate the wifi on/off.

Upvote 0
Is there anything that will switch wifi on & off automatically to known networks?

So for example when I get home it will connect to my home network automatically & switch off when I leave the house?

The following app will do exactly what you asked!

Y5 - Battery Saver - Android app on AppBrain

Despite the unusual name, it will automatically switch to wifi when in range of "known" networks (any wifi network you've successfully connected to), and switches wifi off when no longer in range. I use this daily - when I leave for work wifi automatically shuts off, then turns back on and connects to my home network when I get back home. I also use it for auto-connecting to wifi networks in stores I frequent (Bob Evans, Barnes & Noble, etc.). Best of all it's free! :)

You can download it from either Appbrain using the link above or find it in the market - just search on "Y5" and it should come right up.

Reactions: ianb11 and Copleo
Upvote 0
The following app will do exactly what you asked!

Y5 - Battery Saver - Android app on AppBrain

Despite the unusual name, it will automatically switch to wifi when in range of "known" networks (any wifi network you've successfully connected to), and switches wifi off when no longer in range. I use this daily - when I leave for work wifi automatically shuts off, then turns back on and connects to my home network when I get back home. I also use it for auto-connecting to wifi networks in stores I frequent (Bob Evans, Barnes & Noble, etc.). Best of all it's free! :)

You can download it from either Appbrain using the link above or find it in the market - just search on "Y5" and it should come right up.

Just what I am looking for.

Top stuff!

EDIT: I use Extended Controls to toggle wifi on/off so I guess the switch won't be accurate as to whether it's on or off?

Upvote 0
Just what I am looking for.

Top stuff!

EDIT: I use Extended Controls to toggle wifi on/off so I guess the switch won't be accurate as to whether it's on or off?

Not sure - I guess it just depends on if/how often the control polls the current settings. I use the SwitchPro widget to toggle settings, but I've never checked to see if it updates immediately upon wifi turning on/off. I know it does update eventually, just never bothered to check right away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones