• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are you currently reading?

Finished Elizabeth Moon's The Speed of Dark.

This one was a slight bit of a departure for Moon from her usual sci fi/fan works, but it is my favorite book by her.

This book was a bit difficult for me to read, because the main character (Lou) is a high-functioning Autistic person, and I know quite a few Autists, as well as people with other mental conditions (including myself), and so I identify well with Lou and feel his pain when encountering people who refuse to accept him as a person, or who assume that he is incapable of reading or thinking.

Upvote 0
What are everyone's thoughts about this 10 a month for any books, etc from Amazon?

Sounds like a possible great deal...

(maybe needs own thread?)

If one looks at this thread, it can be determined exactly how much I read. Let's estimate roughly a book a week.

At that rate, I'd read four books a month. If, (and it's a big if) Amazon carried every one of those books in inventory, and considering I trade off between fiction and non-fiction, then theoretically out would be a good deal for me.

However, not all the books I read are available at Amazon. Particularly the non-fiction fare.

Additionally, there are several authors and books I reread on an annual basis, so I would rather own a copy (not to mention that I seriously doubt the writers will be given much, if any, money for this rental scheme).

And on the third hand, I prefer certain books in paper form.

These lead me to conclude that it is not a good deal for myself.

Upvote 0
They say it is the same concept as Netflix, but really it isn't. You can watch a movie without seeing the need to own it, but if you want to own it, you can. With books, people have authors they like to follow and collect their works. Why pay $10 a month when you can get books from the library for free?

Availability.

We do both paper books (when we can) but mostly ebook loans from our library. And if they have one copy of an ebook, it's just like paper - you get on the list and wait.

Ten smackers a month to surf and read whatever, if the catalog is decent, sounds like a pretty fair deal for us, so, going to check into this some more.

Upvote 0
Availability.

We do both paper books (when we can) but mostly ebook loans from our library. And if they have one copy of an ebook, it's just like paper - you get on the list and wait.

Ten smackers a month to surf and read whatever, if the catalog is decent, sounds like a pretty fair deal for us, so, going to check into this some more.

Completely agree.

I read way to much to wait for library ebook. I keep telling myself one day I will buy ever book I've ever read, just to lol pretty in my pimpin library, lol. And when authors are doing signings etc I will buy hard copies.

But my average is a book a week, and while I 'own' them it is only the digital copy. I will go back and re read books all the time, but under a subscription model I would just re check it out...

I think it sounds sweet

Upvote 0
Wait - you're not going on to Anvil of Stars??

I might... got the book as part of a humble bundle; wasn't terribly aware that there was a sequel (though I guessed there probably was), and low on funds at the moment, so I planned on hitting one of the other books in the bundle or picking up the aforementioned Stephenson book since I recently acquired it.

I did like the book, it was very emotional (destruction of the Earth and all).

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I'm still chugging away at the Jack Reacher books. Think I'm on book 7 or 8. Current one is Enemy and it's a prequel of sorts. Reacher is still a major in army (MP) and love the extra military element of the book. Next book is the one movie was based off of...

New books from brent weeks, Robin hobbit, Jim butcher, Patrick Rothfuss.... I need to button up this reacher series soon!

Upvote 0
So i just started 'The Sword of Truth' by Terry Goodkind.
Intriguing, books seem short, killed almost the hole first one in a few hours. Anyone read them?

Nah. I'm still working my way through the sword of truth series. I'll read like half a book and then leave it for a few months.

i dont know how you could do that, i read all 13 in like 6 weeks. I just couldnt help myself. I wish i could of drawn it out longer, i really do...

Almost ready to re-read them. Which book you on?

Four years later, book 11 is down. :p

Only two more (at the moment) to go! :D

Upvote 0
I'm still chugging away at the Jack Reacher books. Think I'm on book 7 or 8. Current one is Enemy and it's a prequel of sorts. Reacher is still a major in army (MP) and love the extra military element of the book. Next book is the one movie was based off of...

New books from brent weeks, Robin hobbit, Jim butcher, Patrick Rothfuss.... I need to button up this reacher series soon!

It is a prequel, and actually a good one to start the series with. If you are looking to end the series, read Bad Luck and Trouble, which is the best one in the series. The very next book after that, Nothing To Lose, was a hack job, IMO, and that is where I stopped. Then a couple years ago, in an interview, he said he did not like Vince Flynn, Brad Thor or David Baldacci.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones