• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What are you currently reading?

Four years later, book 11 is down. :p

Only two more (at the moment) to go! :D
Holy Crap!! Talk about an over do update! :D

Of course, you know there are 3 more after the original series. Plus a couple prequels as well. :)

I tried to re-read it and couldn't get past book 6. Still need to read the Magnus book, and the new series....

It is a prequel, and actually a good one to start the series with. If you are looking to end the series, read Bad Luck and Trouble, which is the best one in the series. The very next book after that, Nothing To Lose, was a hack job, IMO, and that is where I stopped. Then a couple years ago, in an interview, he said he did not like Vince Flynn, Brad Thor or David Baldacci.

Juts finished it last night, I rather enjoyed it. I'm hoping to not run into any REAL bad sub-par ones. But with a series this long it's hard not to have a dud or 2....

I'll go as long as I can. I will definitely take a break when Book 3 of Lightbringer comes out, and when new Robin Hobb comes out, and again when Slow Regard of Silent Things comes out :)

Until then I'm cool with Reacher

Upvote 0
That's fine about Reacher. I don't really discourage people from reading them, but if you are a big fan of any of those authors, you probably would like to know that Child dissed them. Read Nothing To Lose next and get it out of the way. :)

Even though I don't read those authors, if I saw the quote I would probably still write Lee child off. Think I'll wait till I finish series to read onto that. They certainly aren't very involved. They are, for the most part, fun. Books all follow kinda same pattern.

Almost half way done with the one movie is based off of.

Upvote 0
Here is his quote, for what it is worth.

PLAYBOY: What writers in your genre do you dislike?

CHILD: Vince Flynn and Brad Thor. They are essentially contributors to a kind of right-wing bubble. They play to the enthusiasms of the pro-torture audience. Glenn Beck has featured them on his shows. I also don

Upvote 0
I'm currently reading three books: Daniel Silva's 'The Marching Season,' Terry Hayes' 'I am Pilgrim,' and Dalton Fury's 'Tier One Wild.' Since all three are spy/thriller novels I'm getting some of the plotlines mixed up. :D Silva is probably my favorite author still writing now that Vince Flynn has passed.

Big Gabriel Allon fan here. Thanks for mentioning Dalton Fury. I didn't know he had a new one out in May, Full Assault Mode. Did you like Terry Hayes? I am unfamiliar with him.

Upvote 0
This is off topic, I'll remove it if anyone is offended, I just thought that this would be of peripheral interest here -

Why This Bestselling Author Decided To Start Self-Publishing

http://io9.com/why-this-bestselling-author-decided-to-start-self-publi-1628241029
The problem I have with this (and I believe it was brought up in the discussion over there), is that she has already learned to do the various things that the publisher does to produce and distribute a book.

It also helps that she is an established author; genre change notwithstanding.

Those of us who think we might be able to write a novel or three are still going to have to go to a publisher of we want more than seven or eight people buying our books.

Reactions: davoid
Upvote 0
This is off topic, I'll remove it if anyone is offended, I just thought that this would be of peripheral interest here -

Why This Bestselling Author Decided To Start Self-Publishing

http://io9.com/why-this-bestselling-author-decided-to-start-self-publi-1628241029
The problem I have with this (and I believe it was brought up in the discussion over there), is that she has already learned to do the various things that the publisher does to produce and distribute a book.

Those of us who think we might be able to write a novel or three are still going to have to go to a publisher of we want more than seven or eight people buying our books.

Upvote 0

I read several indie authors. Check out Robert Bidinotto. He is an indie author that writes spy thrillers, but that is not why you should check him out. There are quite a few indie authors out there making a go of it.:)

Upvote 0
Finished the Darwath trilogy plus one follow up (Mother Winter) and now reading an illustrated history of railroads.

I may read Gone Girl if only because I read an article about the movie and it sounded somewhat interesting.

Eagerly awaiting delivery of Ancillary Sword this month.

I read Gone Girl, and if I was a writer it would have made me mad that somebody got rich from writing that crap lol. Actually, it kind of made my mad anyway. Still, I have to admit it was entertaining in a way, but just horrible writing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones