• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What features do you want on the Evo 2?

I've seen a lot of people mention that they want a "lighter" phone? Personally, I don't have any problems having a phone that has some weight to it.

Just wondering what the reasoning is behind wanting a "lighter" phone? For me, I've always felt more uncomfortable having technology that's "lighter" in weight or I've felt like the product is more flimsy and prone to break.

Upvote 0
I prefer the weight of the Epic over the Evo (owned both). I'm over the perception of heavier weight equals better quality. I've had an Epic since the week after launch, no case, no screen protector. It's taken its share of bumps and drops and has come through with flying colors. My Evo took a lesser drop than the Epic has taken and had a much bigger chip taken out of the bezel. I'll take a little magnesium over aluminum if they want to go the metal route. Otherwise, good plastic can do the job just fine.

Upvote 0
I prefer the weight of the Epic over the Evo (owned both). I'm over the perception of heavier weight equals better quality. I've had an Epic since the week after launch, no case, no screen protector. It's taken its share of bumps and drops and has come through with flying colors. My Evo took a lesser drop than the Epic has taken and had a much bigger chip taken out of the bezel. I'll take a little magnesium over aluminum if they want to go the metal route. Otherwise, good plastic can do the job just fine.

Okay, but I'm still confused why it's a "must" for some people to have a "lighter" phone.

Either way, a phone the weight of the EVO isn't exactly a 10 pound weight, so just wondering what the reasoning would be.

And I do agree, it is possible to have good quality (despite less weight), but still can't grasp the concept of a phone having some weight as being an "issue."

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
Eh, there's no real mystery, in my opinion.

People want what they want - if we all thought the same and wanted the same, we'd be boring.

Why do some people like slim, ultra-light watches? Because they do. :)

Thanks, EarlyMon. I guess I was just trying to find the reasoning from a "practical" perspective, but I guess that "must-have" for some people isn't based on practicality and primarily based on "want" without reason.

Upvote 0
Thanks, EarlyMon. I guess I was just trying to find the reasoning from a "practical" perspective, but I guess that "must-have" for some people isn't based on practicality and primarily based on "want" without reason.

And want without reason isn't a bad thing.

We can't always put things into words - and sometimes even trying steals the magic.

I have reasons now for liking the big screen - but when I was planning to get my Evo, it was a want without a reason.

Now I have reasons for needed the big screen - but I'll give equal time to the truth, at least in my case, on this one. ;) :)

Besides - maybe there are plenty of practical reasons for lighter. Ever see someone try to carry a heavy phone in the pocket of an unbuttoned shirt?

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0
And want without reason isn't a bad thing.

We can't always put things into words - and sometimes even trying steals the magic.

I have reasons now for liking the big screen - but when I was planning to get my Evo, it was a want without a reason.

Now I have reasons for needed the big screen - but I'll give equal time to the truth, at least in my case, on this one. ;) :)

Besides - maybe there are plenty of practical reasons for lighter. Ever see someone try to carry a heavy phone in the pocket of an unbuttoned shirt?

Thanks, EarlyMon.

I do see the practicality of a lighter phone being beneficial in the case of carrying it in a shirt pocket. That's the type of thing I was looking for and completely makes sense to me.

I'm similar to you, in that, I didn't necessarily see a "huge" need for the 4.3 inch screen, but I realized after having it how much easier it is to see. I still have good vision, but the less strain I can put on my eyes, the longer my "good" vision will last.

Upvote 0
Why lighter phones....

For smaller females... and weaker men... they can hold the phone to their ear longer.

Momentum... heavier phones have more momentum and kenetic energy as it falls to the ground. This force must be absorbed some how.
So lighter phones might have a better chance at survival with the same drop.

That said.. my evo feels fine to me

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
There are a few out there that actually use their phone as a phone (and yes, the sarcasm is intended, because I sure know I RARELY use the phone as a phone). Holding that dang thing to your head can get cumbersome. I know that talking for great lengths of time on my EVO isn't very comfortable, neither in size nor weight. Luckily, 90% of my use comes from browsing the web.

Conversely, maybe a bunch of people are rally car drivers where every ounce saved counts? ;)

Upvote 0
same reason why I carry my coach slim credit card case as a wallet instead of some bulky folding thing and toss the change in my ashtray every time I get in the car. Same reason I liked my Samsung i500 over any Treo or the Palm Pixi over the Pre. Some other reasons in there, but I just don't like heavy crap in my pockets if I can help it. Not like my arm is going to get tired holding it. And while some will say they associate that substantial feeling with quality, I take the opposite approach. The ability to make something light and quality has its own merit as well.

I couldn't understand why the Evo Shift was just as heavy as the Epic and just as thick but not as much of a phone overall. Half the reason why I quickly passed it on to another rep. The D2G set the standard there. Even the HTC Arrive was nicer. But that's just me.
Okay, but I'm still confused why it's a "must" for some people to have a "lighter" phone.

Either way, a phone the weight of the EVO isn't exactly a 10 pound weight, so just wondering what the reasoning would be.

And I do agree, it is possible to have good quality (despite less weight), but still can't grasp the concept of a phone having some weight as being an "issue."

Upvote 0
Weight = Mass x the Acceleration of Gravity
Force = Weight when an object is in free fall with no other force against it but gravity. So the more something weighs the more force it will have upon impact.

I am extremely rusty on my physics, but I thought weight had no bearing how fast an item falls.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Close enough. Proof - drop a playing card on your foot - now, a bowling ball. :)

The momentum - mass * velocity - is what hits at the end, and it has to be transferred somewhere - usually into the device, case, or cover.

Sometimes a lighter device has less momentum, but less protection from momentum transferred back - but in general, if light enough, it's not an issue.

I think the new Casio G'z One Commando is pretty cool btw - except for being on Verizon and having Bing slathered on it - for a ruggedized phone it shows a lot of features to my eye, especially for outdoor use. I like the as-built G'z Gear configurations for it (G'z is pronounced Jeez, as in Jeez, what a dopey name for their stuff.)

http://www.casiogzone.com/commando/

Discussions for it here - http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zone-commando/278977-casio-c771-gzone-commando.html

I don't care about weight because I almost exclusively use a wired headset.

I can't stand holding anything in one position for too long. I know, I'll do it for you, dan - EarlyMon - The GirlieMon! lma0

Reactions: dbpaddler
Upvote 0
Why lighter phones....

For smaller females... and weaker men... they can hold the phone to their ear longer.

Momentum... heavier phones have more momentum and kenetic energy as it falls to the ground. This force must be absorbed some how.
So lighter phones might have a better chance at survival with the same drop.

That said.. my evo feels fine to me

There are a few out there that actually use their phone as a phone (and yes, the sarcasm is intended, because I sure know I RARELY use the phone as a phone). Holding that dang thing to your head can get cumbersome. I know that talking for great lengths of time on my EVO isn't very comfortable, neither in size nor weight. Luckily, 90% of my use comes from browsing the web.

Conversely, maybe a bunch of people are rally car drivers where every ounce saved counts? ;)

same reason why I carry my coach slim credit card case as a wallet instead of some bulky folding thing and toss the change in my ashtray every time I get in the car. Same reason I liked my Samsung i500 over any Treo or the Palm Pixi over the Pre. Some other reasons in there, but I just don't like heavy crap in my pockets if I can help it. Not like my arm is going to get tired holding it. And while some will say they associate that substantial feeling with quality, I take the opposite approach. The ability to make something light and quality has its own merit as well.

I couldn't understand why the Evo Shift was just as heavy as the Epic and just as thick but not as much of a phone overall. Half the reason why I quickly passed it on to another rep. The D2G set the standard there. Even the HTC Arrive was nicer. But that's just me.

Close enough. Proof - drop a playing card on your foot - now, a bowling ball. :)

The momentum - mass * velocity - is what hits at the end, and it has to be transferred somewhere - usually into the device, case, or cover.

Sometimes a lighter device has less momentum, but less protection from momentum transferred back - but in general, if light enough, it's not an issue.

I think the new Casio G'z One Commando is pretty cool btw - except for being on Verizon and having Bing slathered on it - for a ruggedized phone it shows a lot of features to my eye, especially for outdoor use. I like the as-built G'z Gear configurations for it (G'z is pronounced Jeez, as in Jeez, what a dopey name for their stuff.)

http://www.casiogzone.com/commando/

Discussions for it here - http://androidforums.com/casio-g-zone-commando/278977-casio-c771-gzone-commando.html

I don't care about weight because I almost exclusively use a wired headset.

I can't stand holding anything in one position for too long. I know, I'll do it for you, dan - EarlyMon - The GirlieMon! lma0

LOL...Thank you guys. You guys gave both informative AND creative/funny answers. And I do see more reason for people wanting a "lighter" phone now.

Strangely enough, I talk on my phone a lot, but that's never really been an issue for me because all my conversations have been and are relatively brief and when I'm in my car, I'm required, by state law, to be hands free.

Upvote 0
Maybe those that feel the need to carry a big heavy phone are just compensating for a lack of something elsewhere. While those of us with the lighter phones are just a bit more confident in our masculinity. Just sayin' ;)

Maybe we need big heavy phone in our pocket to counter balance.. the other big heavy package

Upvote 0
You may need to cancel that flight... the news broke today (yesterday) that the phone will be completely locked down at the (encrypted) bootloader level.

Really serves to put actions where you mouth is, "BlueScreen". Now I'm wondering if anything else you've said has any weight to it at all. Moral: take company promises with a bucket of salt.

(Moral 2: complain. Wake Up HTC -- at least sign the petition).
Longtime lurker -- it pains me to have to finally register just to speak up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones