• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What happened to Kies (post 4.4 update)?

Hello,

My S4 was recently updated to 4.4.2 from 4.2.2. I'm on ATT. It's not rooted. I never used Kies but I noticed the other day it was gone. IF I were to do a factory reset, which is something I am hesitant to do, I'd want to back up everything obviously. I DID download Samsung Smart Switch from the Play store, but Kies seems to be gone from my phone. When I plug it into my computer via USB I don't really see the ability to do anything but view photos.

How do I get Kies back?

Second question, and this is probably stupid, but from the download link: Kies | SUPPORT | SAMSUNG

Do I get Kies or Kies 3? I ask because Kies says it's for the S4 but Kies 3 says it's for 4.3+

So....what do I do?

Pre 4.4 you'd use kies. 4.4 and after you'd use kies 3. So in your case, kies 3.

I dont believe kies is something the installs on your phone. I've used kies many times and have never had any sort of app installed on the phone. It's all on the PC. If you run kies 3 and then plug your phone in and nothing shows up, it's more than likely a driver issue on your pc. If it doesn't prompt you to download a driver, reinstall the driver by following this
1. closing kies completely (close it in the far right of your task bar if still there)
2. unplug your phone
3. uninstalling the current driver in the windows software uninstall window. It should be labelled as Samsung device driver or similar.
4. reopen kies 3 and plug phone in via USB. Use a USB port at the rear of the computer instead of the front(if in desktop. On laptop any port is fine)

Post how it goes.

Upvote 0
Yeeeuup. Kies 3 is correct.

Thinking a bit more, just a theory, but kies in the accounts menu may have meant that sync over wifi was turned on. After following the previous steps, in the kies software look for the option to sync over with, enable it and see if it's added to the account menu again.

If I've helped you to your satisfaction, please like or thank or whatever this site uses. That would be awesome.

Reactions: Dustin DeWinn
Upvote 0
I'll THANKS! you because I'm a nice guy, but I don't quite yet know if everything is to my satisfaction. :p

gusfring.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones