• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What is better - Nexus Prime or Samsung Galaxy S2

On T-Mobile it for certain be the SS NG assuming it comes there and they keep the right processor in it. For whatever reason T-Mobile has a different crappier processor in the S2 compared to other carriers running the better xyonos(sp? ) processor. So hopefully the don't mess with the new NG phone. It is already better due to it being Vanilla android and is a DEV phone and will get updates quickly to where as regular Samsung phones such as the SG2 wont az they are terribly slow with updates.

Unless something else crazy pops up by February, then the NG will be my next phone.

Heard good things about the new Sony phones coming out though. It's good to have choices.

Honestly still loving my old school MT4G!

Upvote 0
Nexus is better, but unfortunately I think I am going to be getting the GS2. GS2 is by no means a bad phone and is a very close second behind the Galaxy Nexus.

I'm curious hire you came to that conclusion when you don't have either one. Read the specs dude. The S2 from T-mobile use setting the bar too high. It's either as good or better. I know. I have one of them.

Upvote 0
I'm curious hire you came to that conclusion when you don't have either one. Read the specs dude. The S2 from T-mobile use setting the bar too high. It's either as good or better. I know. I have one of them.

I know the nexus is better because the updates come from Google and don't have a OEM adding crap to Android. I watched the entire live stream of the Nexus announcement and I sell phones for a living, I am very familiar with all the variations of the GS2. Like I said the GS2 is a very close second to the best Android phone, I just give the edge to the Nexus because it doesn't have any overlays ontop of pure Android.

Upvote 0
I'm comparing the Sprint Epic 4g Touch and Nexus Prime based on owning the 4g touch and wikipedia stats.

Samsung Epic 4g Touch
-1.2Ghz dual core processor
-2.3.4 Gingerbread
-8mp rear camera. 2mp front camera
-4.5in super amoled screen. WITH Gorilla Glass
-1800? mah battery rated at 10 hours for moderate use
-micro SD card slot up too 32gb
-2gb system storage. 11.5gb phone storage
-1gb ram

Nexus Prime
-1.2 ghz dual core processor
-android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
-5mp rear camera. 1.3mp front camera
-4.65in super AMOLED screen. No mention of Gorilla Glass or the new one (I cant remember the name)
-1750mah battery
-1gb RAM
-16gb or 32gb phone storage

The Epic 4g touch and the Nexus will both have amazing screens. The pixilation on the Nexus is better than the 4g touch however. Both phone have their own positives and negatives. Epic 4g touch has a flat screen with better cameras, but the Nexus will have a faster/better graphics processor. I will say that the Nexus headphone port is on the bottom instead of the top. I hate that decision.

I have the Epic 4g and am definitely not disappointed. The screen is beautiful and the battery time is manageable. The Nexus specs are nice, but I dont like the actual phone design. Ice Cream sandwich isn't a big deal for me since I have no problem with gingerbread and the Epic 4g might get ICS in the future.

If you can wait for the Nexus, get it. But if you do end up getting the Epic 4g, you wont be disappointed.

Upvote 0
The NG will have just as good as battery life as your phone if not better with the smaller battery, mark it. Less BS on the phone to use up resources and what not.

As far as screen, not much difference and IIRC it has been confirmed the NG will have GG as well.

Bigger processor? This phone will be much faster as again your variant from T-Mobile has a shit processor compared to others. The NG is pure vanilla, no BS overlays or bloatware out the wahzoo! Will help with battery in that aspect as well compared to the hog touchwizz is. ....

Also good luck with your update as it will take forever! NG is a Google phone, means updated 1st, not months after, but you seem content with GB, which is fine.

I can tell you are trying to justify your purchase, but the NG will be the flagship ......for a short while, until the next new hotness comes out.

I am far from a salesman like the other fellow, but he seems to know what he is talking about.

Upvote 0
Again, the T-mobile has the 4.52 Super-Amoled Touchwiz 4.0, the larger processor, larger battery, larger camera, Gorilla Glass, same memory/storage...Why do people think the Nexus can beat that? I don't get it.

The T-Mobile version runs with a S3 Snapdragon. There's been some recent news that Snapdragon processors have been getting too hot causing the issues with the circuitry separating leading to overheating to the point that the phone slowly becomes unusable. I'll take an OMAP or Exynos processor over these newer Snapdragons.

Megapixels are useless on a phone if the camera sensor sucks. From what I seen of the Galaxy Nexus, it takes some amazing photos and has near zero shutter speed.

Battery is a bit of a wash. The Galaxy Nexus is a dev phone and thus you'll have access to custom kernels which very often get better battery life than a phone with a larger battery.

Lastly, the screen is reinforced. Samsung stated this on either Facebook or Twitter. I can't remember which, just not with Gorilla Glass. Also, the Galaxy Nexus has a higher resolution of 1280 x 720 vs. 480 x 800.

However, if you compare the GN vs. standard GS2 with the Exynos processor, I think the GS2 comes out ahead there though other factors of the phone may make it a draw. Personally, developer phones get many cool custom features from the community since the code is more readily available.

I'm going with the Galaxy Nexus myself if it makes it to T-Mobile.

Reactions: Droidtothemax
Upvote 0
My preference would be the GNexus.

The GNexus will be on ICS and will receive updates directly from Google (i.e. No waiting on carriers to ensure their bloatware works and no waiting in manufactures to ensure their skins like Sense and TW work).

Camera megapixels is, IMO, a useless comparison. Sensors make all the difference, not MP....

The code for ICS has been written and optimized for the GNexus (something that cannot necessarily be said for other devices).

Pure Google experience vs TW. I don't mind TW but it, like blur and sense) are rather useless for me. I'm plain and simple and don't want/need all the extra bells and whistles.

The construction of the GNexus will have a metal frame IIRC instead of Samsungs normal plastic builds.

Screen size is a wash IMO... Gorilla glass doesn't matter to me...

For MY wants and MY needs, the Galaxy Nexus is the clear winner.

Upvote 0
sleedeane said:
Again, the T-mobile has the 4.52 Super-Amoled Touchwiz 4.0, the larger processor, larger battery, larger camera, Gorilla Glass, same memory/storage...Why do people think the Nexus can beat that? I don't get it.

You just can't make an educated comparison to something that you can't even hold in your hand right now. I want to the the dog-war on pocket.com. But until then, I'de have to beg to differ. IMO.

People can make comparisons all they want on the facts available. Just like your opinion is fire the GS2, others may feel differently. Ultimately, as long as you are happy with the phone you have and Joe down the street is happy with his iPhone and Jane next door is happy with her GNexus, who cares.

The perfect phone varies from user to user. No need to try to put down others for their opinions or POV. :)

Upvote 0
Why do people think the Galaxy Nexus is better?

The only standout features of the phone is the screen which uses pentile and ICS.

It has many more drawbacks than it does positives, no sdcard slot, average camera, poor video quality, bigger and heavier, on screen buttons, no support for NEON instructions for the CPU and slow 3D performance.

I used the Nexus recently, the video recording quality lacks allot of fine detail, not at clear as the HD video on the Galaxy II. Also a quick test I simply enabled a live wallpaper to see if the phone and OS could cope and it couldn't, the homescreen/app draw lagged allot.

This doesnt happen on the Galaxy S II with touchwiz 4.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones