• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What is required for wifi tethering?

Carimerr

Dec 12, 2010
I wanted wifi tethering on my Motorola Droid, so after I rooted I downloaded wifi tether from the market, but couldn't get it to work. So I then installed CM6, after which I could get wifi tether to work perfectly. My question is, do you need a custom ROM to get wifi tethering?

To use Wifi tether you have to have a custom kernel as the stock kernel doesn't support that app. You get a custom kernel when you install a custom ROM (not trying to patronize but putting that in there for future readers)

Barnacle wifi will work with the stock kernel. I have used both of those apps and they are both good in my experience.

Upvote 0
Yeah I tried it out, and now prefer it over Wifi tether. But you can get Netflix to stream over a 3G connection?

Yes. As long as you have a decent signal it works fine. The data required is less than when you use a computer since it is a smaller screen. I am guessing if you used it for about 4-5 hours is would consume a gig (That is an approximation). I don't use it all of the time only when I am stuck some place for a bit (I don't like to tether a large amount of data if I can avoid it). If you have a poor signal then the picture can be a bit off but it still works pretty well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones