• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What rare cars have you seen in person?

It says one piece billet aluminium block, denoting the block is one piece, then there's a '/' before the word heads. Doesn't that suggest to you that there are at least three pieces?
Nope. The Grammar Nazi says that "1 PIECE BILLET... BLOCK/CYLINDER..." means what it says; no more, no less. If they wanted to say the heads were separate, they should at least have said "BILLETS" (plural).

Think about it this way, how crazy is it to make automotive engine blocks or heads out of billet, which can't have any cast-in passages for coolant, oil, intake or exhaust? Frankly I think if the way-too-wealthy person whose plaything this is can make one bad choice, he can make a whole bunch of bad choices.

Upvote 0
Whoa. Planetary gears. Easy to get the hang of it?

It took practice. You have levers below the steering wheel, one for throttle, one for spark advance, both with vertical blades at the end. You hook each with a pinky and ring finger, and that was a reach, and hook your thumb and remaining fingers (if your hands are big enough) around the wheel while making adjustments. The hard part is doing that through turns where you want to slow down, get into the turn and accelerate.

The brake is a terribly inefficient axel clamp. (I've read of transmission brake bands, the one I drove wasn't equipped that way.) You have a floor lever for a clutch, and you want to mind that while finding neutral with your left foot, the brake with your right and controlling both levers to keep her running smoothly into a stop. Doing it in a curve keeps you very busy.

I've been through reassembly of the planetary gears from a 1928 model (basically the exact same as memory serves) and that gives you a real respect for design.

There was a coil for each cylinder and an option for a vaporizer for the fuel feed. Ever see those cheap, ultra-thin throwaway ashtrays? Imagine that, smaller, smooth edged, with crimps for the fuel line in and out and two holes on opposing sides. It screwed to side of the block, clamping down the opened line. The gas vaporized by contact with the hot block.

There isn't a thing about the T that wasn't a well thought-out pleasure, from tinkering to driving.

Not fast but mighty stylish. :)

Not hard to learn to drive. But you had to understand it, respect it, and you really better be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Upvote 0
My '32 roadster had a Cusso sidevalve V8 with a Mercury crank in it and a late model (Aussie) Falcon four speed manual gearbox. The front end was '39 ford with '39 hydraulic brakes, the rear was Falcon to match the gearbox. The body was channelled nine inches and the windscreen chopped two and a half inches. Cool ride but uncomfortable to drive until you were used to it. Pic is posted in the muscle car thread.

Upvote 0
Think about it this way, how crazy is it to make automotive engine blocks or heads out of billet, which can't have any cast-in passages for coolant, oil, intake or exhaust? Frankly I think if the way-too-wealthy person whose plaything this is can make one bad choice, he can make a whole bunch of bad choices.

Billet blocks have a number of advantages over cast aluminum blocks. One is strength. Billet blocks are much stronger than cast blocks. The tensile strength of a billet block is about a third higher than that of a 356 aluminum block. This improves rigidity, reduces block distortion and improves cylinder sealing under load.
Another advantage of billet blocks is weight. The thickness of a billet block can be machined down in areas where strength isn

Upvote 0
Followed one of these today

AC-Cobra_34e75.jpg

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones