• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats so great about Android 2.x?

So I finally saw an in depth look at Nexus One on Youtube last night and I really dont see the big deal. The live wallpaper thing was kind of cool but other than that, the vanilla 2.1 is pretty boring. The Hero's Sense over 1.5 is much more entertaining to look at and play with. Its also not as fast as I thought with that 1Ghz processor. There was a slight lag at times when he was just swiping between home screens and in the browser as well. The same small lags that make people call the Hero "laggy". Whats the excuse for the Nexus One? Its not even running a custom UI over it, just vanilla 2.1. With that processor, it should be lightning fast and not slow down at all. There were a few cool things on it, but not enough to make me jump ship to T-mobile. Am I missing something?

First off, my T-Mobile G2 (HTC Hero) is running 1.5 and the "stock" Android home is much, much slower than the HTC Sense UI running on top of it, so the lag may have been more to do with that.

Secondly - even if there are no actual 2.x features you want, the update will enable us to start using apps that have been designed for 1.6+ (new Google Maps, Goggles, some third party apps) so it's worth the upgrade just for that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones