• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When are the first Android computers set to come out?

Couldn't I build a desktop computer and then simply install a version if android on it that is tailored to my hardware? I wasn't sure there where plans for an android computer. I mean with my little experience in computing I'm sure I could get the everything rolling pretty nicely!

I think android accepts a keyboard and mouse right off the bat! Shouldn't be that hard :)

Upvote 0
There'll never be an android computer.
The Android operating system is tailored for embedded application, designed to turn a mobile device into a general purpose computer. Android is made to use minimal resources to accomplish the same sort of tasks that Windows does with unlimited CPU and memory.

If you have a full fledged computer with virtually limitless hardware, then you use Windows or Linux

Upvote 0
There'll never be an android computer.
The Android operating system is tailored for embedded application, designed to turn a mobile device into a general purpose computer. Android is made to use minimal resources to accomplish the same sort of tasks that Windows does with unlimited CPU and memory.

If you have a full fledged computer with virtually limitless hardware, then you use Windows or Linux
OK, I don't quite understand, but you sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm always broke as a joke (and cursed with terrible luck) so the few times I've had computers, they have either shat out in fantastic ways or were stolen by #$&@%#&## tweakers... (Bad drug town, sadly...)

Reactions: DevMyAndroid
Upvote 0
Haha yeah, I know the feel.

Think about it like this: a phone is just a miniaturized, cut down version of a desktop.
It has to be able to run on a very small amount of electricity/power while still performing enough math to be a computer. Think of a desktop like a friggin ferari and a phone as a Honda civic.
A Honda civic can go 110 mph, if you know how to MAKE it. Having a Ferrari just makes it easy.

The Android OS is designed to use as little of the computer's physical capacity, while still achieving the desired outcome. Like, you can do the same stuff on Android as you can with Windows, but Windows is more resource intensive, so it requires more from your machine

Upvote 0
Haha yeah, I know the feel.

Think about it like this: a phone is just a miniaturized, cut down version of a desktop.
It has to be able to run on a very small amount of electricity/power while still performing enough math to be a computer. Think of a desktop like a friggin ferari and a phone as a Honda civic.
A Honda civic can go 110 mph, if you know how to MAKE it. Having a Ferrari just makes it easy.

The Android OS is designed to use as little of the computer's physical capacity, while still achieving the desired outcome. Like, you can do the same stuff on Android as you can with Windows, but Windows is more resource intensive, so it requires more from your machine
That makes sense, though my logic says that would make a android computer that much more powerful comparatively lol but I doubt that's how it works..

Upvote 0
Technically, you're right. Lol
The problem is Android is far too undeveloped to be useful in a desktop application. With Windows, the software exists to play Halo 3, or edit video. Compose and produce music or any other intensive task. Android let's you browse the web and play Angry Birds. Lol
There simply isn't enough programs for it. Not only that but Android has a terrible multitask interface compared to Windows. Windows can run programs all day long and open as many of them simultaneously as you want.
Android has task killers that won't allow that sort of multitasking

Upvote 0
While NLE is the Holy Grail of video editing - and I've done it for nearly 15 years - most people who get one are lost without proper training, time and patience.

So for the next tier down, and certainly enough for a whole lot of people, check out "Clesh Video Editor"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.forscene.KestrelTest

As for unlimited windows, I have no idea what you're talking about because no operating system provides that - least of all, Windows.

If you want to make the argument that Android isn't ready for industrial management, as an author of such software, I'll agree. Then again, Windows is only capable of running our entry level suite, the larger set still needs a Unix workstation.

But for a whole lot of computing fun, with the ability to edit office documents, edit video, surf and play around, don't sell Android short.

As a matter of fact, I ran Ubuntu on my Android in a second virtual machine, including editing with Libre and GIMP - on my phone, and also vpn'd over to my laptop screen - while running Android and making phone calls from my phone at the same time.

And that was back in 2011. :)

http://androidforums.com/threads/ubuntu-linux-on-the-3vo.387978/

I think that you've not really delved into what's possible with Android if you roll your sleeves up. ;)

And I don't think that you've imagined the possibilities with more hardware resources.

Will it replace PCs? Not long ago Chromebooks were a silly novelty and now they've replaced laptop use for a whole lot of people.

Cheers. :)

Upvote 0
Am I right or wrong?

Why would you run a proprietary version of Linux with a java sandbox and a phone UI, on a machine with the resources to run Red Hat and the X server?

Why? Why explore all that Android can do?

Because OpenMoko died on the vine, Nokia's was onto a nice start until the Trolltech guys showed up with Qt and that went south, Elop assassinated the new Symbian before it could launch, Windows phone was good but stagnated, iOS sucks, and besides - the Android kernel merged back with the Linux main line at version 3, so it's not closed and the Dalvik is a sophisticated stack engine and not just a Java sandbox lol.

Where most Linux is really properly identified as GNU/Linux, Android as a compact, real-time Linux could be described in the same vein as Apache/Linux.

No idea why you think it's proprietary.

The other reasons are - because I can, because I like to make phone calls, and just because it is there.

The same sort of reasons why I run everything else. :D

Oh - and good point, among the Linux distributions I run daily, Redhat and CentOS are included along with Ubuntu. And Windows 7. And OS X.

As I mentioned, I have the resources to run Ubuntu and the X server on my phone - so I did.

Why try and enjoy Android on a pc?

Because it is there.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. :D

Upvote 0
See everyone has my picture in the quotes :/

Attachments

• 1422697155895.jpg
    1422697155895.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
I would actually like to try to install android on my laptop... I have no idea on how to create programs on android. And correct me if I'm wrong but I would need to make a custom ROM to run on my laptop? I know my way around windows like I know my own hands, but android is not as familiar to me...

If you want to develop for Android, follow the instructions at develop.android.com - for that you set up an environment and use an emulator. Lots of people do it on Windows - any more, probably most.

Android-x86 is basically the custom rom for your laptop. It's limited. It is what it is - fun if you like it.
See everyone has my picture in the quotes :/

Not on mine, something has either glitched on your end or our servers for you. If the latter, we apologize, I'll look into it (tomorrow ok lol).

Upvote 0
EarlyMon --
What kind of phone did you have?
Did you need a mouse and keyboard to use X, or did the touchscreen work OK?

thekingsteven - there are tons of Android x86 images. You just need to find one that has drivers for your laptop. Make take a few trys. I downloaded a jellybean image that worked on my Pentium 4 desktop, but went ape on my AMD lappy

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
EarlyMon --
What kind of phone did you have?
Did you need a mouse and keyboard to use X, or did the touchscreen work OK?
HTC Evo 3D lol. If you're outside the US, you might know it as the Sensation (but with more ram).

As first offered by the guy who ported it, keyboard and mouse stuff was broken so he recommended Bluetooth as I recall. I added whatever I did and the touchscreen worked like a champ. But cut into the available screen space, obviously, so I hit on the idea of projecting the thing to my laptop when I could.

So yes, I obviously could have just built a virtual machine on my laptop and put Linux in that, but it was pretty neat to be able to carry my own Linux in my pocket and open it on my desk without using desk storage resources. I had X on my laptop anyway and didn't need VPN but by the time I started to configure for that I got bored and never changed it. :D

And that way, I had a whole virtual desktop - meanwhile, back on my phone, hit the home key and I was just running Sense so far as anyone could tell.

Mostly used it to edit my phone photos with GIMP.

Been meaning to resurrect it on my latest phone, but so many projects and so little time for things already done. :)

Upvote 0
Why? Why explore all that Android can do?

Because OpenMoko died on the vine, Nokia's was onto a nice start until the Trolltech guys showed up with Qt and that went south, Elop assassinated the new Symbian before it could launch, Windows phone was good but stagnated, iOS sucks, and besides - the Android kernel merged back with the Linux main line at version 3, so it's not closed and the Dalvik is a sophisticated stack engine and not just a Java sandbox lol.

Where most Linux is really properly identified as GNU/Linux, Android as a compact, real-time Linux could be described in the same vein as Apache/Linux.

No idea why you think it's proprietary.

The other reasons are - because I can, because I like to make phone calls, and just because it is there.

The same sort of reasons why I run everything else. :D

Oh - and good point, among the Linux distributions I run daily, Redhat and CentOS are included along with Ubuntu. And Windows 7. And OS X.

As I mentioned, I have the resources to run Ubuntu and the X server on my phone - so I did.

Why try and enjoy Android on a pc?

Because it is there.

Don't knock it until you've tried it. :D
Omg I'm such a layman... I didn't understand a lot of that lol. But I want to learn the work you do with android! Step 1 would be to get my broke ass a Linux box lol I love your reasoning, EarlyMon, very much in line with my own =P

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones