1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

When I go to get the phone at ATT will they ask...

1. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member

When I go to get it at an ATT store off contract, do they need to do anything with the account? As I moved to NY but the account was made and is managed in Ohio, my mother is the one who manages it and everything as we are in a family plan, I live in NY now and decided to keep it that way, will this be a problem? I mean Im buying outright, not like Im doing anything to the account per say.

Advertisement
  2. blazeplacid

blazeplacid Well-Known Member

I dont think they will ask anything, if they do it will be for warranty type stuff

It would be like buying a phone from some one on ebay/craigslist and putting you SIM in it
  3. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Well-Known Member

Yes they will. Regardless of being in or out of contract, you will be using the new phone on the account. The person that is "primary" on the account must authorize the addition of the phone since obviously you will be incurring charges.

As long as she is available by phone to speak with them and authorize it you will be fine. If not, it's highly likely they will not help you.

Any time a change of any nature is made the primary account holder must authorize it. Remember it's a legal contract between her and AT&T. Not you and AT&T.
  4. checkride

checkride Member

Make sure you're on the account as an authorized user. They'll need the primary number and the primary person's last 4 numbers of their social security number.
  5. Yaken

Yaken Well-Known Member

You don't need to be on the account as an authorized user. They cannot update anything on the account regarding data packages or anything but they should sell you out the phone.
  6. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Well-Known Member

Not true. They will not sell any phone without activating it on an account. The person who's on the account must be with you, or available by phone to authorize the change to the account. Any phone that's added to the account must be authorized by the account holder.

Why guess? Read the terms & conditions. It's all spelled out as I have explained.
  7. slipmagt

slipmagt Well-Known Member

I work at Walmart, in the wireless dept. We sell phones outright no questions asked just like you are buying a pack of gum. In this situation I would love if you hung out a bit and played with this phone while I watched.
  8. antioch216

antioch216 Well-Known Member

so if we go to renew the contract and get the phone at the upgrade price, even though we are listed as authorized users, we still need the account holder's verbal permission?
  9. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member

This is correct, they did NOT let me buy it outright, they said I had to do an early upgrade, go to Radio Shack if you can.