• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

When I go to get the phone at ATT will they ask...

solidkevin

Android Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2009
When I go to get it at an ATT store off contract, do they need to do anything with the account? As I moved to NY but the account was made and is managed in Ohio, my mother is the one who manages it and everything as we are in a family plan, I live in NY now and decided to keep it that way, will this be a problem? I mean Im buying outright, not like Im doing anything to the account per say.

When I go to get it at an ATT store off contract, do they need to do anything with the account? As I moved to NY but the account was made and is managed in Ohio, my mother is the one who manages it and everything as we are in a family plan, I live in NY now and decided to keep it that way, will this be a problem? I mean Im buying outright, not like Im doing anything to the account per say.

Yes they will. Regardless of being in or out of contract, you will be using the new phone on the account. The person that is "primary" on the account must authorize the addition of the phone since obviously you will be incurring charges.

As long as she is available by phone to speak with them and authorize it you will be fine. If not, it's highly likely they will not help you.

Any time a change of any nature is made the primary account holder must authorize it. Remember it's a legal contract between her and AT&T. Not you and AT&T.

Upvote 0
You don't need to be on the account as an authorized user. They cannot update anything on the account regarding data packages or anything but they should sell you out the phone.

Not true. They will not sell any phone without activating it on an account. The person who's on the account must be with you, or available by phone to authorize the change to the account. Any phone that's added to the account must be authorized by the account holder.

Why guess? Read the terms & conditions. It's all spelled out as I have explained.

Upvote 0
Not true. They will not sell any phone without activating it on an account. The person who's on the account must be with you, or available by phone to authorize the change to the account. Any phone that's added to the account must be authorized by the account holder.

Why guess? Read the terms & conditions. It's all spelled out as I have explained.

This is correct, they did NOT let me buy it outright, they said I had to do an early upgrade, go to Radio Shack if you can.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones