• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help When on WiFi, phone cannot connect to internet

I don't know if this is a phone issue or something with my home WiFi.

My network configuration is AT&T (2Wire 3800HGV-B) broadband router and WiFi --> Ooma Telo --> Internet. My rooted Droid 2 connects to the 3800HGV-B via WiFi without problems, but then cannot get internet. However, the IP given to the phone seems odd. It is given something like 10.200.21.49. The DHCP range for the 3800HGV-B is 192.168.xxx.xxx. The DHCP range for the Telo seems to be 172.27.xxx.xxx. I don't see how the phone is getting 10.200.xx.xx, but the bottom line is how can I fix it and get to the internet when on WiFi.

I am using a password on my router, so I don't believe I'm connecting to someone else's router. Also, I've connected using the WPS button, which again leads me to believe I'm connecting to my own router.

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this issue. I would appreciate some guidance in this matter.

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

Then you're not connected to that device. Also, AFAIK, the DROID does not support the one-touch connection - you need to set it up by searching for the SSD and then connecting to it from the DROID.

At this point I'd disconnect from whatever you're connected to, change the password on your router, and then connect directly to it via the DROID.

Optionally, you can set a static IP for the DROID to always get when it connects to that router, if you would like to always have the same IP on your DROID.

Upvote 0
Oh, my apologies, I thought you were using the one-touch exclusively.

As for the static, I meant on the router - I don't know specifically about your router, but the ones I have used (mostly broadcom and buffalo based) routers usually have something along the lines of a DHCP Reservation List - basically, a place where you add a MAC address and the IP you want your router to always assign to that MAC address.

It makes life a lot easier for me as I have all my regular connecting devices being assigned reserved IP addresses, and I can easily see who is new on the network, allowing me to filter traffic and whatnot. Of course, it also makes it easier b/c I can connect to my DROID through the same IP address when I am at home, whether now, 2 days from now, or 2 months from now.

Static IP is not necessary on the router side. As for on the DROID side, setting up static IP is going to be pretty hard unless you set up a static IP outside of your normal DHCP range, and somehow force the router to accept that configuration. I *think* there is an app called WiFi advanced configuration that can help you do that, see WiFi Advanced Config Editor - Android app on AppBrain

But, you have to figure out why your router seems to be putting your DROID into a completely different net - do you by chance have another device somewhere that is broadcasting IPs via DHCP (such as an errant Wireless Printer)? If not, and you are 100% sure that the DROID is connecting to that router, check and see if you have something like WLAN partitioning enabled - it *shouldn't* be giving out such a different set of octets, it should just make them (theoretically) not see each other, but who knows?

Upvote 0
Ah, interesting thought about the printer. I turned it off, but no luck; I still got the odd IP assigned. However I do have two other routers, but they have separate SSIDs. I will try turning them off and see if that fixes the issue. If that turns out to be the case then I'll jack into them directly and get them reconfigured correctly. But since they have separate SSIDs, I don't think that's going to be the fix.

I can configure the AT&T router to use a fixed IP. But I've never done it by MAC address. I know where the settings are found. I'll have to give it a try.

I'll give these things a shot and report back.

Thank you again,
Andrew

Upvote 0
Doh! :eek:

I just went into the Manage Networks area and went to the Advanced option. The "Use Static IP" was checked and the IP was (drum roll) 10.200.21.49! I had totally forgotten this was the address I set for use at work a month or more ago. I've since used DHCP several times, but at some point I must have accidentally re-checked the box. So I unchecked the box and 'magically' I have internet again!

Wow! Sorry for the bother folks. My apologies.

Sincerely,
Andrew

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones