• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help where are the android robot smileys?

I was kind of wondering about this, even with 2.1 when texting, I see the smiley on the keyboard, and if I long press it gives me 2 pages to select from. But they are not the "translated" smileys, they are all what you had to type to create a smiley. I see this - : ) , : P, ; ), ect. NOT :), :p, ;), ect. , I understand how to create some but not all of them, not sure what some are. Its like before BB had 5.xx, ver 5 added visual smileys. I don't understand why this newer phone doesn't have it, or at least mine, when my 2 year old Storm 1 does.

Thanks in advance, this is in SMS Messaging. Running 2.2, non-rooted.

Upvote 0
I'm going to assume everyone knows this, but will mention it because I know of at least one person who didn't know it.

The smiley's that you see are just the way that "your" phone interprets the characters :) or :-( etc. The person you are sending to will see them the way that their phone interprets them. The actual message only contains the text characters.

I remember someone way back with the Droid who could not understand why their friend on a BB did not get the Bot Smileys they were sending them. You don't send the actual icons, you only send text which is then translated to the specific set of icons your phone uses.

Reactions: labeledbass
Upvote 0
I'm going to assume everyone knows this, but will mention it because I know of at least one person who didn't know it.

The smiley's that you see are just the way that "your" phone interprets the characters :) or :-( etc. The person you are sending to will see them the way that their phone interprets them. The actual message only contains the text characters.

I remember someone way back with the Droid who could not understand why their friend on a BB did not get the Bot Smileys they were sending them. You don't send the actual icons, you only send text which is then translated to the specific set of icons your phone uses.

Thanks, yeah I get that - the others phone may translate : ) as :), but when my girl sends me a smiley its only displayed as : ), not :). Half of the smiles I don't understand, which was nice about my storm because instead of having : ), : p, ; ) it really displayed the "icons" for which they rep'ed. I just read on here that some people can visably see the icon, not the txt equivilant. Basically, I have yet to see any smileys in my sms - I haven't checked gmail, or any related apps that people mention above but I would just assume that the keyboard would display the smiley icon, just for reference so you don't have to look it up on the net just to send a smiley of someone cring.... I mean, I could be wrong, there could be a reason that MY phone isn't displaying them and something needs to be changed, added - but I have yet to see any thing since I bought it, 7/15.

2.2 non-rooted, using stock SMS, swype input, (was the same way with 2.1)

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones