• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Which screen protector should I get?

ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | HTC Droid Incredible Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield

I have this one and you can't even tell it is there. you can also get them at best buy and for an additional 7 dollars they will put it on for you. WORTH the money because it is a little tedious to get it on, but once it is on it is ON and it rocks. I never got one on my eris and the screen got surprisingly scratched, but there is not one little mark. I got it the day i got my phone and i am certainly glad i did!!! I LOVE it.
May be a little more money than others, but it is definitely worth it!

Upvote 0
I purchased an invisible shield for my incredible within 2 days of getting the phone. I warranty replaced my phone yesterday and I really prefer the screen without the protector on it. It is much more responsive. Best buy wouldn't give me a refund because it is a consumable and neither will Zagg since I didn't buy it from them. So now I can either pay to have it replaced or just leave it off. Either way it was an expensive mistake.

Upvote 0
You've got three types of screen protectors to consider.

Wet Application: (Invisible Shield, BodyGuardz, etc.)

These are the type that require a liquid to apply, and time to set in (usually 2-3 days). They come in screen and full body coverings. There is a slight texture to them, but they are near impervious to scratches. Peeling at corners is a known issue, but otherwise, they rarely need to be replaced.

Dry Film with little to no adhesive: (Martin Fields, Seidio, Steinheil, Clarivue, etc.)

These types can be tricky to apply, but are supposedly washable and reusable (I've had poor luck with trying to reuse). They typically offer the best feel and clarity of the 3 protector types, but they scratch easily (it's basically a plastic overlay over your glass screen), meaning they need to be replaced based on your usage pattern. These are the types I use, and I typically get 9-12 months out of them.

Thin adhesive film:

This is the garbage you'd find in 10-packs for $1, or at mall kiosks. It's literally a paper thin film that is very malleable offering minimal protection. Since it's not rigid like the above type, it's harder to get rid of air bubbles. These are only useful as a temportary protector until one of the better types from above arrives.

There's always going to be a debate between the wet and dry application types. There are fan(boy)s of each types. I prefer using the dry application and a good case. Some prefer the wet application so they don't need to use a case. I see almost no point in using the wet application for screen only.

As for brand loyalty, here's where it gets worse. Within each sub category, they're all practically the same. You have to look for the minor differences. For example, Martin Fields includes a screen protector AND a camera lens protector in each pack, but they charge about 3 times what the other companies do. Also, MF and Seidio are the only ones still using the ancient peel and apply method with no tabs. SGP uses a method with 3 layers and two tabs, making installation much less frustrating. So if you go with the dry application, I recommend either SGP (Steinheil), or MF if you really want the camera lens protector. No idea on Clarivue as I haven't used them yet, but I'd avoid the Seidio.

Upvote 0
I had a zagg put on at best buy, it was great in terms of protection as it was thick and never scratched in my use. However, it felt very "tacky"/"grippy" in trying to move my finger around on it. Additionally, the one I got had a couple horizontal lines that couldn't be seen in the film by itself but could be seen as color distortion whenever something light colored was on the screen. I also had a smudge in one corner that never went away. I kept it on for about 6 months, but recently ordered the steinheil crystal clear. This doesn't feel as "grippy" in moving my finger across, but isn't as thick as the zagg. I feel like it slides better than the naked screen. Their site says they had a high hardness that should resist scratches, and I haven't seen anyone say they've gotten scratches on theirs, so hopefully it stays scratch-free. It's a little over $10 from the sgpstore (I think if you google that you should be able to find it) for 2, which is good because I (along with lots of others) messed up putting on the first one. If you get it right the first time, you've got a spare. The zagg involves applying a solution to get the protector to stick, so it's possible to get moisture stuck under the screen, which is what I think caused my smudge. The steinheil can get air bubbles, and they can sorta be removed fairly easily, though I've got one in one corner that just won't go away.
Sheesh, that was longer than I intended.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones