• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who here is having GREAT signal strength and call quality?

I've had mine since 4/28. Call quality has been excellent! I'm coming from a Treo 750, and the call quality and reception is way better with the DI. I could not get any signal with the Treo in the basement, and I make crystal clear calls in the basement with my DI. Like others have said, the signal bars just are not very accurate. You can have great reception and crystal clear phone calls with 0-1 bars. I routinely make phone calls with the signal in the -100+ dbm range. I haven't had any drop calls with this phone.

The only negative thing about this phone is that the battery could be better. If I don't use the phone much, I do not have any problem making it through the day. But any moderate amount of web surfing, texting, or phone calls makes me have to use the usb to charge the phone.

Upvote 0
I switched to my Incredible from a BB curve on Tmobile. I can't really compare from Verizon phone to Verizon phone but the fact that I'm able to get any kind of reception at my house is nothing short of a miracle, and my call quality is always clear. Reception is going to depend on where you live but I have no complaints so far as the hardware is concerned.

Upvote 0
With all the doom and gloom threads around here it makes one feel that the phone is a complete dud and no one is getting good signal strength. "If you hold the phone wrong your dBm signal strength drops by 20!" "The battery doesn't last through the day!" etc. etc.

I know usually it's a "vocal minority" thing but the sheer volume of complaints on this forum is worrying me.
Is anyone here having a more or less flawless experience with the Incredible as far as phone calls are concerned? I.e. are you getting good 3G reception as compared with prior phones you've had on VZW and so forth?

I am really REALLY on the fence between the Incredible and the Motorola Droid and I don't want to regret getting the Inc if these problems are blown out of proportion... :/

My call quality is great. The earpiece can seem a little tinny if I've got it up too high, but it sounds very good. I've almost always got good reception, a good number or bars and haven't yet missed a call, had a call dropped or had any kind of issues. Knock on wood. My battery life blows, though. My phone is either idle or in my hand doing something. I text, I browse the web, I check Facebook stuff if I'm bored and away from home, I play games, I really am not kind to the battery, so I understand why it is so poor for me.

If you are trying to decide between Droid and Incredible, stop. The Incredible is far and away the better phone. This isn't opinion, it's fact. I waited for this phone, I followed it, I drooled over it. I have it and it obviously can't live up to all of my expectations, but compared to my girlfriend's Droid... it is WAY better. It's small, light, sleek and it's fast.

Upvote 0
If you live in an area with good to great coverage- of course reception will be good. People having the issues are in the more fringe coverage areas compared to other phones (Droid mainly). Inc has an average radio and not a defective one.

Stay way from the bars though, since sometimes they will show low or high bars and have dBm levels that contradict. I have seen 2 bars in -64db and 4 bars in -89dB. The bars are on another reality plain and not a sane one.

Upvote 0
have 3 incredibles and all 3 have the same signal problem(1 bar most of the time, -95 to -104), but every call is crystal clear and no issues at all on call quiality or dropped calls.. i did call verizon tech support and they have an open ticket to check the local towers in my area for any problems(used to be alltel)

So why even bother Verizon if you have no problem then.

Don't pay attention to the bars. Every call i have made since the 27th has been flawless. And the speaker is loud!

Upvote 0
today i just figured out how to maintain call clarity...

got a phone call with dirty hands so i just grabbed the phone edges with the tip of my fingers. The call was surprisingly clear. So in mid conversation i inadvertently grabbed the phone like i normally do with my whole hand and instantly the call became choppy. I went back to grabbing just the edges and instantly the call became clear again. From what i saw in the owners booklet the antenna is located at the bottom of the phone near the mic. If you "palm" the phone you cover up the antenna.

i tried making two other calls and to my amaze each time i held the edges of the phone the call was nice and clear...

I guess they need to amp up the gain on the antenna or relocate it to the top of the phone to help it out...

Upvote 0
today i just figured out how to maintain call clarity...

got a phone call with dirty hands so i just grabbed the phone edges with the tip of my fingers. The call was surprisingly clear. So in mid conversation i inadvertently grabbed the phone like i normally do with my whole hand and instantly the call became choppy. I went back to grabbing just the edges and instantly the call became clear again. From what i saw in the owners booklet the antenna is located at the bottom of the phone near the mic. If you "palm" the phone you cover up the antenna.

i tried making two other calls and to my amaze each time i held the edges of the phone the call was nice and clear...

I guess they need to amp up the gain on the antenna or relocate it to the top of the phone to help it out...
My Incredible has overall good call quality, even with no bars; but sometimes with 2-3 bars, call drops off. Antenna must definitely be on the bottom, my signal goes down 10-20 dbm (lower numbers better!) when I am holding it upside down! Good thing I usually use a headset.

I just switched over from a HTC mogul 6800. The 6800 was released exactly two years ago. The incredible makes that phone seem like its from the stone age.....
technology is advancing fast.

Upvote 0
Had Verizon in this town since 1996 - previous phone LG Chocolate

With the INC - easliy the best call "quality" that I have experienced to date. - calls are clear, well rounded.. full sounding, speaker volume is outstanding - no dropouts walking around the house, like my Chocolate

This is my first 3g experience, but it has never falied me - and is quite fast

Battery....well, I am lucky enough to be able to charge whenever I want...never had a smartphone, so not sure what normal battery is

No regrets here - would do it again, even if I had to pay more

Reactions: rabernet
Upvote 0
Reception I do not have any problem, however I notice that I had better reception on my moto droid, I drove from chicago to miami in the last few days and never had a reception problem.

Call quality on the incredible is better then on moto droid and nexus, I tried all of them and so far the incredible has the best call quality of any other android device I've used.

Upvote 0
I live in a very rual mining town 70 miles away from anything! My company cell is a blackberry tour 9630 and my droid incredible surpasses the signal level of my tour by usually 15-20dbm in all locations, this includes my wife's phone as well. Supurb Call quality and signal strength!!

Stock battery life is poor right now cause I cannot quit playing with it! On days that I dont it easily lasts all day! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones