• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Who's fed up with VZW?

GalaxyNexus

Android Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2011
Bikini Bottom
I'm tired of this supposedly "Pure Google" experience and thinking about getting an unlocked Nexus and going to T-Mobile to get the $30 prepaid plan. Who's with me? This Nexus device is false advertising and shouldn't be allowed. If any of you guys are at least considering this then check out this great thread from xda developers : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1455014

Ah yes, IMO this is a common rant amongst us VZW GNex owners. Don't you wish you made the move to GSM before getting the phone?

I'm happy that this device was even made available on VZW since I can experience the ease of customizing a Nexus device. My past phone was a Droid X, and while I did customize it, there were still some limitations due to the locked bootloader.

I'm most likely going to go the T-mobile route on the next device, not because of updates, but because of cost and the fact that I highly doubt VZW will get another Nexus device.

I'm crossing fingers that T-mobile merges with MetroPCS and retains the pre-paid deal next year when my contract is up (I'm not trying to deal with ETFs).

Upvote 0
What stops Google from selling the Verizon phone from the Play Store? Verizon allows you to bring phones to the network and since Google has already made the device I wish they would just put it up for direct sale. Hopefully Google will do this with the next model. I know this is typically reserved for pure GSM phones, but it seems it could be done with a Verizon LTE/CDMA phone too.

I would absolutely pay full price for a phone that is not hindered by a carrier. Unfortunately Verizon LTE network is too good for me to give up or I would just jump back to AT & T.

Upvote 0
What stops Google from selling the Verizon phone from the Play Store? Verizon allows you to bring phones to the network and since Google has already made the device I wish they would just put it up for direct sale. Hopefully Google will do this with the next model. I know this is typically reserved for pure GSM phones, but it seems it could be done with a Verizon LTE/CDMA phone too.

I would absolutely pay full price for a phone that is not hindered by a carrier. Unfortunately Verizon LTE network is too good for me to give up or I would just jump back to AT & T.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think VZW allows you to bring phones on their network that aren't vetted and certified by them. This is not stopping Google from selling the current G-Nex on the Play Store, but I'm sure there is some caveat that would have to take place that includes a VZW contract or a higher price tag than the GSM model. Also I'm not sure if VZW provides a sim only plan for their LTE network. Additionally the type of testing VZW performs on their devices does not allow for ad-hoc updates from another source (i.e. Google).

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
Yep I've been contemplating this for awhile now. Straight Talk uses towers from other carriers for less money as I understand it. So why keep paying in to a company like vzw? My money built those towers and now they're wanting to yank unlimited data to conserve bandwidth while other people are using said towers from alternative networks. It doesn't add up to me. Unlimited data was the last thing keeping me interested.

The whole month to month thing certainly does sound inviting. I just wonder how the infrastructure will continue to grow and be maintained if a mass bail from the bigs occurs. Because it seems to me...and I may be dead wrong here...that the only way some of these smaller fish are able to operate is off of equipment bought and paid for by the loyal customers of the bigs all these years? So isn't a market adjustment eminent in the future when the loyalty has eroded? Or am I just not understanding the system as a whole?

Upvote 0
Aside from delayed updates on one phone, I have to say that in terms of reliability, call quality, and customer service.... plus the size of their 4G network.... Verizon is a great carrier. I wouldn't think about leaving for a lesser carrier simply because my phone wasn't updated fast enough. I'd either return it or root it. Its not as if Verizon is forcing people to keep a phone that doesn't work for them... from all reports they've been very willing to try multiple replacements or change phones altogether.

As for a Verizon phone direct from google... it would face the same delays. Cdma phones all require carrier provided keys to operate on the network (ie the updated radios in each release).

Upvote 0
Yep I've been contemplating this for awhile now. Straight Talk uses towers from other carriers for less money as I understand it. So why keep paying in to a company like vzw? My money built those towers and now they're wanting to yank unlimited data to conserve bandwidth while other people are using said towers from alternative networks. It doesn't add up to me. Unlimited data was the last thing keeping me interested.

The whole month to month thing certainly does sound inviting. I just wonder how the infrastructure will continue to grow and be maintained if a mass bail from the bigs occurs. Because it seems to me...and I may be dead wrong here...that the only way some of these smaller fish are able to operate is off of equipment bought and paid for by the loyal customers of the bigs all these years? So isn't a market adjustment eminent in the future when the loyalty has eroded? Or am I just not understanding the system as a whole?

I'm pretty sure Verizon doesn't lease out its coverage to 3rd party carriers. I think sprint is the one they all rely on. So if you want Sprint's network then go for it.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure Verizon doesn't lease out its coverage to 3rd party carriers. I think sprint is the one they all rely on. So if you want Sprint's network then go for it.

Well, I'm not willing to go into this all guns blazing because I'm not exactly sure how it all works yet but every single path I have traveled in trying to accumulate info about ST says the Verizon towers are indeed used along with ATT, Tmob, Sprint. The way I understand it, the particular phone dictates which towers will be used. Idk though, I'm still investigating. Seems its hard to get clear answers on all this. Which begs the question why is it all so convoluted? I almost get the feeling there's a desire for a certain amount of secrecy around the whole thing.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm not willing to go into this all guns blazing because I'm not exactly sure how it all works yet but every single path I have traveled in trying to accumulate info about ST says the Verizon towers are indeed used along with ATT, Tmob, Sprint. The way I understand it, the particular phone dictates which towers will be used. Idk though, I'm still investigating. Seems its hard to get clear answers on all this. Which begs the question why is it all so convoluted? I almost get the feeling there's a desire for a certain amount of secrecy around the whole thing.

I'm looking into straight talk option too. Not sure if VZW tower is shared by other carriers, a bit doubtful. ST seems to offer GSM service through at&t, Tmo mainly and some CDMA phone through Sprint, but no Verizon network at all.

Upvote 0
Careful guys. I'm not sure if this is old or what, but check out "Non-Android coverage" vs. "Android Coverage" maps. Support - Service Area . From what I am able to dig up, straighttalk uses both Verizon and AT&T towers.

Anyway, I would not leave VZW (even though they are higher in price). The coverage here in SoCal (at least where I work and at home), is by far the best. Add to that VZW has always been good to me regarding customer service, I'll stick with them.

Slow roll outs on updates (or phone releases) are not enough for me to give up the quality of signal I get from Verizon. Of course this is likely different in other areas, but for me VZW is by far the best (phone signal, 3g, 4g).

Upvote 0
I have been running my GSM version on T-Mobile which is actually on-par with Verizon in my area.
I still have a Verizon device mainly because I want to really test this idea first.

I see that T-Mobile is really building out their network and their spectrum refarm and upgrades of tens of thousands of cell sites is in process now with all of the money they got from AT&T.

What I am really hoping is that they pull out of this free fall that AT&T put them into because more competition in the market is what gets us better pricing.

T-Mobile and Sprint are putting pressure on data caps and that's why I opt to support them in some small way.
As soon as I am comfortable with dumping Verizon consider them dumped.

I see a lot of people say that they get no service on T-Mobile and I have had service everywhere I have been on the east coast from NY to SC.
YMMV...

I have asked myself this...
Would I rather have T-Mobile's throttled @ 5GB data vs Verizon's throttled data @ 5GB?
(And yes, they do cap because I have hit it after using 6GB in a month - just no overage on the unlimited plan - currently throttled now as we speak)
Is the coverage worth $50 a month MORE to me?

Last but not least... being free of a contract and being able to swap my sim into any phone I want at any time?
Getting the next Nexus device which will be out in GSM versions first?

I really am torn here and that's why I am going to give this a few months to see if this is a change I am willing to make.
I suggest that others really consider what your doing here as well.
Try it first because you may not like what you get after jumping in with both feet and not looking.

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
The G Nex situation is unfortunate for some. I've not had great luck with the device in certain areas but i can honestly say that VZW has more than been willing to work with me on the issues. I'm on my 3rd G Nex , I've sent back one RAZR, and yesterday i got my free network extender from them. (274$ value). So they really have went out of their way to help me. I'm staying in place. :)

Upvote 0
I'm tired of this supposedly "Pure Google" experience and thinking about getting an unlocked Nexus and going to T-Mobile to get the $30 prepaid plan. Who's with me? This Nexus device is false advertising and shouldn't be allowed.

It pretty much is a pure Google experience because there is no skinned UI. You run stock Android straight out of the box. As far as updates go, I understand your pain.

Upvote 0

Well, I don't think you are going to find any phones from a discount carrier that have all the radios to connect to all the networks (GSM and CDMA) plus be able to transition from tower to tower. If its a GSM phone its probably on Tmo or ATT and if its CDMA its almost certainly on Sprint. The story linked above appears to be the first time VZW has ever contracted out its service that I'm aware of.

Upvote 0
The G Nex situation is unfortunate for some. I've not had great luck with the device in certain areas but i can honestly say that VZW has more than been willing to work with me on the issues. I'm on my 3rd G Nex , I've sent back one RAZR, and yesterday i got my free network extender from them. (274$ value). So they really have went out of their way to help me. I'm staying in place. :)

How's the network extender working out for ya with the Nexus? Hopefully it helped you quite a bit :)

Upvote 0
Careful guys. I'm not sure if this is old or what, but check out "Non-Android coverage" vs. "Android Coverage" maps. Support - Service Area . From what I am able to dig up, straighttalk uses both Verizon and AT&T towers.

Anyway, I would not leave VZW (even though they are higher in price). The coverage here in SoCal (at least where I work and at home), is by far the best. Add to that VZW has always been good to me regarding customer service, I'll stick with them.

Slow roll outs on updates (or phone releases) are not enough for me to give up the quality of signal I get from Verizon. Of course this is likely different in other areas, but for me VZW is by far the best (phone signal, 3g, 4g).

That's using a straight talk phone. Bringing an unlocked phone and putting the carrier specific sim will give you their coverage.

If you put a T-Mobile sim in you will get T-Mobile coverage. :)

Upvote 0
I have been running my GSM version on T-Mobile which is actually on-par with Verizon in my area.
I still have a Verizon device mainly because I want to really test this idea first.

I see that T-Mobile is really building out their network and their spectrum refarm and upgrades of tens of thousands of cell sites is in process now with all of the money they got from AT&T.

What I am really hoping is that they pull out of this free fall that AT&T put them into because more competition in the market is what gets us better pricing.

T-Mobile and Sprint are putting pressure on data caps and that's why I opt to support them in some small way.
As soon as I am comfortable with dumping Verizon consider them dumped.

I see a lot of people say that they get no service on T-Mobile and I have had service everywhere I have been on the east coast from NY to SC.
YMMV...

I have asked myself this...
Would I rather have T-Mobile's throttled @ 5GB data vs Verizon's throttled data @ 5GB?
(And yes, they do cap because I have hit it after using 6GB in a month - just no overage on the unlimited plan - currently throttled now as we speak)
Is the coverage worth $50 a month MORE to me?

Last but not least... being free of a contract and being able to swap my sim into any phone I want at any time?
Getting the next Nexus device which will be out in GSM versions first?

I really am torn here and that's why I am going to give this a few months to see if this is a change I am willing to make.
I suggest that others really consider what your doing here as well.
Try it first because you may not like what you get after jumping in with both feet and not looking.

Actually, out of curiosity, how do you know if your being throttled? I go over 5 GB legitimately quite frequently.

Upvote 0
Aside from delayed updates on one phone, I have to say that in terms of reliability, call quality, and customer service.... plus the size of their 4G network.... Verizon is a great carrier. I wouldn't think about leaving for a lesser carrier simply because my phone wasn't updated fast enough. I'd either return it or root it. Its not as if Verizon is forcing people to keep a phone that doesn't work for them... from all reports they've been very willing to try multiple replacements or change phones altogether.

As for a Verizon phone direct from google... it would face the same delays. Cdma phones all require carrier provided keys to operate on the network (ie the updated radios in each release).

I wouldn't necessarily say that VZW has reliable customer service. I have had HORRIBLE service with VZW. Every month they seem to have an excuse for why I was charged extra. They say I asked for something an charge me for it, but they can "never find" the recording. Has anyone had a good customer service experience with Verizon?

Upvote 0
I wouldn't necessarily say that VZW has reliable customer service. I have had HORRIBLE service with VZW. Every month they seem to have an excuse for why I was charged extra. They say I asked for something an charge me for it, but they can "never find" the recording. Has anyone had a good customer service experience with Verizon?

Verizon regularly finishes at the top of the big 4 in customer service. They certainly aren't perfect but for a huge company they do pretty well. I've never had a problem with them at all. Sure, I've had billing mistakes and miscellaneous charges but they weren't customer service's fault and they always corrected them. That's all I ask for.... answer the phone, be polite and helpful, and resolve my issue.

Upvote 0
Verizon regularly finishes at the top of the big 4 in customer service. They certainly aren't perfect but for a huge company they do pretty well. I've never had a problem with them at all. Sure, I've had billing mistakes and miscellaneous charges but they weren't customer service's fault and they always corrected them. That's all I ask for.... answer the phone, be polite and helpful, and resolve my issue.

Me and wife have both been with VZW for 9 years now. Never had one CS issue. Pretty remarkable :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Well I have had a pretty bad month with VZW. I have always had good experiences with them in the past. Not so much lately. Of course, I didn't get my way with a recent issue so it would be easy to say I am disgruntled. But in reality I was genuinely treated poorly twice and insulted once.

I'm no longer feeling the love from Verizon. If I lose unlimited someday I can see looking for an alternative. But I hardly think they'd care.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones