• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Who's used Koush's ROM?

So I've been using it for a day. It's pretty nice. The best thing about it is still the icon docked launcher. Nothin has crashed, no reboots yet, nothing. Running very smoothly. The NexTheme is absolutely beautiful and not too intrusive, just looks classy. I recommend it. Besides the launcher though, it's not really any better than Pete's, Chevy's, Blackdroid's, or any of the other ESE53 ROMs. I like it enough and will keep it for the launcher alone, but overall? Nothing groundbreaking as far as I'm concerned.

Upvote 0
how is everyone flashing this rom because I have tried multple ways and they all result in failed installations for instant FC's

You can do an update.zip install, but you'll probably want to wipe everything first if you're using SPRecovery. The "right" way to do it is to replace SPRecovery with Koush's Clockwork Recovery and install it that way.

Upvote 0
You can do an update.zip install, but you'll probably want to wipe everything first if you're using SPRecovery. The "right" way to do it is to replace SPRecovery with Koush's Clockwork Recovery and install it that way.

is that what you did?

I wanna switch for that launcher as well, how do you set the launch icons at the bottom?

Also how many home screens? I hope it is atleast 5

Upvote 0
ok so I got it working without FC but did anyone have it rediculously laggy when they booted it for the first time? I'm kind of worried if I am the only having these problems I feel like my phone might be slowly failing on me

EDIT: ok I dont get how anyone can use this rom, not only does it lag rediculous amounts but I cant even change the wallpaper off the live one because everytime gallery opens it creates a FC loop and I have to restart the whole phone

EDIT AGAIN: So I reinstalled an it seems to be working well now, I will play around with it today and see how I like it

Upvote 0
But it is running at stock speeds?

Have you gone into SetCPU? Mine cranked right up to 1000 but you have to set SetCPU to autodetect.

Initial impression: S.S. has been more stable and some of my widgets (example: Pure Messenger) are not loading. I am finding the screen transitions are also lagging. I think it might be back to S.S. 2.02 for now.

Upvote 0
For any of you guys who really love his launcher2 and are mostly just keeping his ROM for that alone, or for those of you who want to flash just for his launcher2... you might want to check out the HelixLauncher app that he made. It's basically the normal 2.0.1 launcher with docking capabilities a la his launcher2. I made a thread which contains more info about it (taken from his thread at XDA):

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/52832-app-helixlauncher.html#post431415

Upvote 0
is that what you did?

I wanna switch for that launcher as well, how do you set the launch icons at the bottom?

Also how many home screens? I hope it is atleast 5

Yes, I used Clockwork Recovery.

When you have that launcher, you just pick up an icon and you'll see 4 little green dots on the bottom of the launcher that you can drop the icon on just as you would drop it in the trash.

It has 7 screens by default.

Upvote 0
Just loaded this using SPRecovery and the update.zip method.

My kernel and Mod Version match the proper values.

For those who want to try this and do NOT want to flash Clockwork recovery, just make sure you adb shell into recovery and:

format DATA:
format CACHE:
format SYSTEM:

before you allow and install update.zip

Perfect clean install without any hassle.

I'll follow up on this later once I get all my apps and settings redone.

UPDATE: Well, I had some issues, it reboot twice on my while setting up my settings. I dunno why, but I was charging and doing a lot of downloading, so it got a bit hot.

But...THIS ROM IS FAST AS HELL!!

12.5Mflops @ 1GHz without JIT?! 303ms LONG benchmark in SetCPU?

CAP2010031216361.jpg

More to come.

Upvote 0
so does this have the multi-touch browser and gallery like all the other 2.1 ROMs?

FAB,
couldn't you boot the phone to SPrecovery and wipe those 3 then do the install? without using ADB?

Yes, multitouch everything.

Also, I was a bit vague in my post above. I meant to say exactly what you typed. Not adb shell INTO recovery, but when you're already IN recovery, and then run those commands. Thanks for catching that!

Oh, I guess you don't have to use adb to wipe data and cache (factory reset), but I don't know of any way to wipe SYSTEM: without using adb.

Also, there are 7 homescreens.

Upvote 0
Yes, multitouch everything.

Also, I was a bit vague in my post above. I meant to say exactly what you typed. Not adb shell INTO recovery, but when you're already IN recovery, and then run those commands. Thanks for catching that!

Oh, I guess you don't have to use adb to wipe data and cache (factory reset), but I don't know of any way to wipe SYSTEM: without using adb.

Also, there are 7 homescreens.

So what would happen if I ran it as an update over my Pete's 0.7 ROM without clearing data or Cache.. Hmm

anyway to understand..
you booted into SPRecovery..

Wipe, Cache , Data and system ( sort of like you would for a nandroid install?)

then apply the update?

Upvote 0
So what would happen if I ran it as an update over my Pete's 0.7 ROM without clearing data or Cache.. Hmm

anyway to understand..
you booted into SPRecovery..

Wipe, Cache , Data and system ( sort of like you would for a nandroid install?)

then apply the update?

Yes, exactly.

Also, someone earlier in this thread did update.zip over Pete's ROM, and it seemed to be working, just the kernel and mod version did not match someone who had installed using Clockwork recovery.

My method DOES match, though.

Upvote 0
Only been about an hour and a half, so I can't really tell just yet.

The processor is running pretty cool though ~38-40C when browsing the web. Hopefully the voltage values are a bit conservative.

What are the OC setting Steps? my set up is Pete's 0.7 with medium voltage AdamZ @ 550 so my temps around 27C sitting idle. using AdamZ 5 step (800 MAX) Kernel

I had the Low voltage but not always wake up from sleep.. (required a battery pull) so I switched to medium and so far so good

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones