• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why are diallers so boring??

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
phones are getting larger... so there is a lot of room on the screen.

the KeyPad does NOT need to take half the screen.
my Note3.. has so much white boring area.

using the Hangouts dialer.. it looks better... more useful info is there.
dialer is out of the way.. unless I need to enter a number.

when the call is in session...
I see one huge pic of the avatar. and a few buttons at bottom.why
why not more info about that person? last calls or missed calls from this person.. notes?

why don't they put in more useful info.

I don't need anything else, I just want the damn call to stay with me while I am talking.
If I don't blank the screen, the call is terminated when I put the phone to my ear.

and it is not with just one dialer either, I have tried several.
and everything that has to do with motions and gestures has been turned off since the day I got the phone back in April 2014.

the only way I can have a conversation w/o using bluetooth is to say hello, once I hear the caller, I have to thumb the power button to blank the screen.

if I don't and I put the phone to my face, it hangs up.

Upvote 0
sure.. my phone is next to my ear during calls.. most of the time.. and it is off.
there are times that I might want some more info. or interested to see.

sure.. I can go to another screen and get more info.
but it would be nice to have a quick glance and see some info.

if you need a dialer to fit .. half the screen .. so you can see it.
on a 5 inch or larger.
should you be walking making a call? kind of dangerous to yourself and others.

Upvote 0
I don't need anything else, I just want the damn call to stay with me while I am talking.
If I don't blank the screen, the call is terminated when I put the phone to my ear.

and everything that has to do with motions and gestures has been turned off since the day I got the phone back in April 2014.

the only way I can have a conversation w/o using bluetooth is to say hello, once I hear the caller, I have to thumb the power button to blank the screen.

if I don't and I put the phone to my face, it hangs up.

what phone do you have? and have you customized something? Rooted? ROMed?

Reactions: mikedt and Hadron
Upvote 0

No, the dialler won't make any difference as they'll all use the same in-call screen.

So the question is why your proximity sensor, which should disable the screen when you lift the phone to your ear, isn't working? That's why Dan's asking those questions, to help us narrow down the cause.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
No, the dialler won't make any difference as they'll all use the same in-call screen.

So the question is why your proximity sensor, which should disable the screen when you lift the phone to your ear, isn't working? That's why Dan's asking those questions, to help us narrow down the cause.

I had that happen once when using a custom ROM, CM11 on an Oppo F7a, it was a known issue at the time that was quickly fixed.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
as my signature shows, it is a stock S5. does anyone read signatures? that is what they are for.

and I am aware that all of the dialer GUI interfaces use the OEM dialer functionality. It is that very screen that as long as it is on the screen, I bring the phone up to my face and something touches a spot on the screen and poof! call is gone.

I have learned to make all outgoing calls on Bluetooth, a hell of a lot easier for me to do anyway because I usually have a text editor open to record info from the caller.

if taking a call on the fly, and no BT in use, I wait until I can hear the caller's voice and then touch the Power Button so the screen goes black. That ends the problem.
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0
^^^^

FYi post sigs don't show in Tapatalk. I often use Tapa, and only look at the full site when I'm at home using a PC or Mac, and so I frequently can't see things like....
"Mike in China.
...your Guide to Chinese Androids, and other things from the Middle Country."

And you can turn off post sigs in AF user preferences as well.

The old way was better for showing device information and carrier, when it was attached to your avatar. But that went away when we changed to Xenforo

Upvote 0
One reason dialers might not show more info is so they can scale to different sizes for various screens since manufacturers use the same dialer for many phones.

as my signature shows, it is a stock S5. does anyone read signatures? that is what they are for.
Your first post doesn't show your signature, even in a regular browser. Since you're not using an official signature I'm guessing you forgot to copy and paste it ;)

Upvote 0
Oppo's recent upgraded stock dialler. Not boring, lot's of useful info.

dialer.jpg

Upvote 0
in the new dialer....
for those that DO NOT have a pic for the contact...
it puts in an icon. this icon can be: GREEN, YELLOW, OR BLUE.
It looks very Random... or is there a method / meaning to the colors??
Google messenger does that too. I think it's completely random tbh mate

Reactions: dan330
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones