• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

why do people treat steve jobs like a god?

Sento

Jan 19, 2011
reading his life story and how the things he has said he seems like a douche to me, but people go out and make motivational posters and shirts talking about how he was brilliant...

imo bill gates is much better person...steve jobs never did much for charity in his life and even said "charity is a waste of time" - where as bill gates donates and does so much and his daily driver is a ford focus or something i last heard, though he has a porsche for fun, which is still very modest for his status consdiering all the vanity addicted middle class americans overextending themselves to drive the same car. and jobs how took a 1$ salary to tax evade... though many ceos do that...

The man was a greedy asshole and truly good and significant people don’t ever get as much attention as this. But what do you expect? America has whored itself out to consumer culture and the people will idolize whoever makes the newest and most popular piece of shit.

just look at this article smh http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-jerk-2011-10?op=1

pisses me off cus even the creators of southpark who think they have all the answers on how things should be, praise him. i used to be a southpark fan as a kid, but as i grew up i can see they are douches, making fun of christopher reeves the way they did, and steve irwin like the week after he died, as if he doesn't have a family thats grieveing. yet they go on to tell people "you should live like xyz" - and all these fake people wanna be jerks and hide behind free speech :/

but it does comfort me to know that my heartbeat is a timer and every beat is one less second i have to be alive in this world, and they are getting older too. i hate this world and i hate how fake people are i wish i could just die today.

Last edited:
Bill Gates is alive - Steve Jobs isn't. False info or anything Gates doesn't like, he can hire a lawyer or decide for himself what is or is not needing a lawsuit. Jobs executors have to do the same -- but unless explicit instructions, how do they know exactly what the preference would be were Jobs alive? Old age changes people. Some it improves, some it makes worse.

His brilliance was marketing. He sold the whole graphic arts business that only a Mac would work in desktop publishing.
Once Adobe and Quark put out programs for the PC, that was no longer true, although still widely believed. Businesses that did their publishing inhouse could just buy a Windows version. Some professionals now use a distro of Linux and Gimp. If you have never used DOS or Unix, an Apple product is easy to use. Some like it that way. If it works here, it works there.

I used DOS at first. I found that using a Mac to run Photoshop was no different than my PC (I cross platformed in school)
but finding a file was the pits. I needed my file formats from DOS to find anything. I took to using obscenities to name cross-platformed files. This made me believe the OS is there to run the apps I choose only. No other reason.

Any inventor who finally gets to the place where he is convinced that only his invention can save the world is an idiot.

To restore your faith - One inventor - John Dobson. He invented the Dobsonian telescope. He had been a Buddhist monk who kept going "over the wall" to bring astronomy to the masses. He gave the plans away. You can still build his telescope using odds and ends like recycled pieces of glass to grind for a mirror and old vinyl records to move the scope with. He's as revered in the astronomy community as Steve Jobs is in tech. There are others who have done the same.

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
i hate this world and i hate how fake people are i wish i could just die today.

If you want to die, the power is in your hands. But if you don't want to die, I suggest you find someone to talk to who can help you get through your issues. Because it sounds like you have a lot of pent up anger that needs to be controlled. Venting on Internet forums will not help you. Seek help now.

Upvote 0
Bill Gates is alive - Steve Jobs isn't. False info or anything Gates doesn't like, he can hire a lawyer or decide for himself what is or is not needing a lawsuit. Jobs executors have to do the same -- but unless explicit instructions, how do they know exactly what the preference would be were Jobs alive? Old age changes people. Some it improves, some it makes worse.

His brilliance was marketing. He sold the whole graphic arts business that only a Mac would work in desktop publishing.
Once Adobe and Quark put out programs for the PC, that was no longer true, although still widely believed. Businesses that did their publishing inhouse could just buy a Windows version. Some professionals now use a distro of Linux and Gimp. If you have never used DOS or Unix, an Apple product is easy to use. Some like it that way. If it works here, it works there.

I used DOS at first. I found that using a Mac to run Photoshop was no different than my PC (I cross platformed in school)
but finding a file was the pits. I needed my file formats from DOS to find anything. I took to using obscenities to name cross-platformed files. This made me believe the OS is there to run the apps I choose only. No other reason.

Any inventor who finally gets to the place where he is convinced that only his invention can save the world is an idiot.

To restore your faith - One inventor - John Dobson. He invented the Dobsonian telescope. He had been a Buddhist monk who kept going "over the wall" to bring astronomy to the masses. He gave the plans away. You can still build his telescope using odds and ends like recycled pieces of glass to grind for a mirror and old vinyl records to move the scope with. He's as revered in the astronomy community as Steve Jobs is in tech. There are others who have done the same.

Yeah, but the reality of the situation is that he was not a creative or a free thinker, he was basically just a business man. The ones who really should be getting credit for all his "technological marvels" are the engineers he insulted and belittled on a daily basis.

The way he would talk about wanting to change the world as if we are all just a bunch of iPads sitting on a shelf, which makes considering the way he abandoned his daughter, then "made up for it" years later to help his image.

And I am not afraid to kill myself, I'm trying to stick around as long as I can but the only thing I'm worried about is failing and being paralyzed for life, but as everyday passes my garage and my car are basically singing my name to come.

Upvote 0
Steve Jobs may have been an ass.. and had an ego the size of texas.
still.. I have to give the man his dues.. he was a genius! at marketing.
he was also a visionary... and knew how to get it .. make things happen.

several times in his lifetime... he affected people's daily life around the world.
built and rebuilt an empire.
changed technologies

but .. I still hate his business ethics.

Upvote 0
it's more like Apple rather than Jobs. as in every decision they make, no matter how bad, is justified, be it a decision from Jobs, Forstall, or currently, Cook and Ive.

A similar anomaly happens on Android. Any decision Google makes is defended vehemently by the Android community as if every decision Google makes is automatically OK, such as not declaring Google Apps as bloatware (they can't be removed any more than Samsung apps yet everyone complains only about the Samsung apps), or defending Google's stance against the menu key.

Upvote 0
Befitting cult status....

Steve Jobs's childhood garage is being prepped for latest biopic

Steve Jobs' childhood home in Los Altos, California — which became a historic site in 2013 — is opening up for cameras once again. Film crews began setting up shop there today to begin dressing the location in anticipation of shooting the latest film about Apple's co-founder, reports CNET. The house and its garage served as Apple's early and rather humble beginnings, and were depicted briefly in 2013's film Jobs. In this case, it's for the second, unrelated film, penned by Aaron Sorkin and based off Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of the late technology pioneer. Some of the early adornments spotted in the garage include things like a Bob Dylan poster and an ad for a Braun coffeemaker.

Upvote 0
A similar anomaly happens on Android. Any decision Google makes is defended vehemently by the Android community as if every decision Google makes is automatically OK, such as not declaring Google Apps as bloatware (they can't be removed any more than Samsung apps yet everyone complains only about the Samsung apps), or defending Google's stance against the menu key.
Not universal. I remove almost all Google apps (Play Store and Maps are the only ones on my phone, apart from back-end stuff like Play Services) and use custom software to restore the menu key (overloaded home key in my case). Isn't the complaint with Samsung apps that many of them are duplicates of Google apps which are also installed?

Back to the original post, I have no doubt that Jobs could be a dick, but actually his wife revealed a few years after his death that he had given significant sums to charity, just that he did it without publicity.

Last edited:
Reactions: zuben el genub
Upvote 0
In my case the Samsung apps can be disabled but i prefer them over Google's. they respect the menu button (i hate action overflow) and seem to be more customizable (messages has more tweaks built in than Hangouts, music app offers voice controls etc) and more stable than Google's. Google's when active uses up far more battery and even if you disable sync, it re-enables itself when you open an app such as Play Books.

My point though was that this fanboyism isn't confined to Apple. it's equally as viatrolic on Android. aka Nexus fans vs. TouchWiz, defending every Google decision no matter how bad (the hatred of the menu key is across the board and only because Google said so)

Basically there are those on Apple and Google who worship them no matter how many bad decisions or business practices are made. like with religious folks, the mantra is 'they must have had a good reason/we can't understand the plan'

Reactions: huh
Upvote 0
Basically there are those on Apple and Google who worship them no matter how many bad decisions or business practices are made. like with religious folks, the mantra is 'they must have had a good reason/we can't understand the plan'

Ever consider the fact that it's YOU who's out of step and not the rest of the world Nick? Lots of people like Marmite while I loathe the stuff. I don't waste my time and energy questioning their taste though, I just get on with enjoying my life. ;)

Opinions are like a certain bodily orifice... everyone has one and they're all full of something unpleasant. Who honestly cares what anyone else thinks. if it doesn't affect them directly?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones