• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why I am going to pass on FROYO

29o0uc9jpg.gif

Okay, so first I will say that people picking on the OP is just wrong. His concerns ARE valid. And that is what forums are for. He posts his concern, we post our responces, he decides if that advise is enough to make him change his mind.

But... I have to say that is the funniest "Cool Story Bro" animation I have ever seen! :D

Upvote 0
As everyone waits to install the OTA or thinks about putting on the leak, I have decided not to install it when it comes to my phone for the following reasons

1) No new bluetooth drivers
2) Battery life doesn't seem to be improved
3) Several reports of the phone lagging and just not working after installing it resulting in the need for a factory reset. Ill pass on a reset thank you.
4) Reports of HTC sense issues still with FROYO

Hopefully there will be a second release that fixes the bugs, then ill install it, or wait for 3.0, which is due out in January.

Check out this link, is this what you are talking about as far as Bluetooth?

http://androidforums.com/1488053-post1564.html

If so, you can check that one off!! ;)

Upvote 0
Agreed...I've noticed a VAST improvement in my phone (including battery life) - still on 2.1 - since deleting the task killer that the dude at the VZW store automatically installed on my phone when I got it. I very infrequently have any force close issues, lag or random reboots. I don't plan to do anything different once I get the update.

The people at the Verizon store always try to install task killers on Android phones. They have convienced a few people I know to install them on there DroidX and Incredible and I'm sorry they are just not necessary

Upvote 0
Would you hard-reset BEFORE or AFTER the update? JW

After. If you do it before you are just resetting back to a clean 2.1 and then putting 2.2 on top of it (which is what you are trying to avoid).

So you do your OTA to 2.2 and THEN factory reset it. It's still not quite the same as flashing the leaked OTA, but it's as close as you are going to get.

I have seen several reports of people installing the OTA and having to factory reset anyway because of a bug (which in my opinion is likely caused by installing a major OS update on top of existing crap). So moral of that story is... no matter which route you decide to take, back up your app's and contacts and pictures and etc...

Reactions: TheLurg1687
Upvote 0
Okay, so first I will say that people picking on the OP is just wrong. His concerns ARE valid. And that is what forums are for. He posts his concern, we post our responces, he decides if that advise is enough to make him change his mind.

But... I have to say that is the funniest "Cool Story Bro" animation I have ever seen! :D

He's not posting his concerns he is flaming the 2.2 update to get a rise out of people.

If you read his post again he is making a statement and not asking for advice.

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
I personally think the ONLY way this phone is getting "Official" 3.0 will be through a Dev porting it. Just like the Eris Will NEVER see Official 2.2. same deal. Won't happen.

agreed

to be honest I was really surprised the org. driod got 2.2 Although it is running pretty stock Android and has decent hardware so upgrading it prolly need to many resources.

Although I love the Sense UI, it does increase the difficulty of upgrading the phone.

Upvote 0
Hopefully there will be a second release that fixes the bugs, then ill install it, or wait for 3.0, which is due out in January.
Gingerbread may come out in January, but it could take a while to hit the incredible, I mean hasn't 2.2 been out for months? It'll hit the Nexus one, then you'll still have to wait for the VZW OTA, unless you install a leak, but if you install a leak you'll have many of the same problems your worried about now.

If you're scared of something because SOME people are having problems then maybe you should stay away from technology because that's just how it is.

Update your phone and enjoy.

Upvote 0
He's not posting his concerns he is flaming the 2.2 update to get a rise out of people.

If you read his post again he is making a statement and not asking for advice.

Yes a statement that's by far one of the dumbest and most unnecessary if the update was so bad like he says it wouldn't be getting rolled out in the first place have fun canceling the update every 30 minutes

Upvote 0
I got 2.2 this morning and it's working perfectly. No complaints. I had no issues with bluetooth prior so I can't comment. It synced with my cars bluetooth perfectly and does so each time I start the car. No lag whatsoever. Battery life is just fine. Bars seem to be more accurate for antenna. I'm happy. Got the LED flashlight widget with 3 settings of brightness. It's incredible. Just like this phone!

Upvote 0
So you do your OTA to 2.2 and THEN factory reset it. It's still not quite the same as flashing the leaked OTA, but it's as close as you are going to get.

It's the same, just as you said in a previous post, an extra step. Basically, when you accept the OTA, it's doing two things.

1. It's replacing the "recovery partition" of the ROM with a clean 2.2 The user cannot normally access this, but when you do a factory reset, this is the area it pulls from.

2. It upgrades the install from 2.1 to 2.2, leaving behind a load of garbage that can (and does) slow the system down, but leaves your settings and apps in place.

Doing a factory reset after the OTA will force a recovery from part 1 to do a clean install of part 2 without the garbage. So in the end, it has the same effect as the RUU, with the advantage of preserving your settings if you want, and the disadvantage of an extra step for those who want a clean install.

I'm with you though. If it's your intent to do a factory reset anyway, might as well use the RUU rather than wait on the official.

Upvote 0
I hate double posting.

For those expressing concern over the Gingerbread update, here's some dates to consider.

-The droid Eris hit end of life in June, roughly 2 weeks after Froyo went open-source. The Droid 2 hit EOL on August 6th, about 10 weeks after. Huge difference when you're looking at a 1-3 month dev cycle. That's partly why the Droid got 2.2.

-2.2 went open source on May 20th, hit the Incredible on August 27th, roughly 3 month gap.

-Gingerbread is slated for "Q4 2010" according to Google, which means October-December. If we give HTC/Verizon a 4-month lead time, that means Gingerbread could in theory hit the Incredible between February-April.

-Incredible has a slated end of life for March 31st, 2011, meaning a Gingerbread release seems more likely based on the above timelines.

-Lastly, the timeline could be affected by the rumor of a baked in UI for 3.0. This could cause HTC to simply go with Widgets rather than a full UI overhaul (speeding up development cycle), or having to do more work to get Sense incorporated how we know it (slowing down the dev cycle). If the latter, Gingerbread becomes less likely.

If I had to guess, I would say that Gingerbread is coming to the Incredible, and that it will be the last OS update for our device. Of course, that is pure speculation on my part, so take it with a barrel of salt.

Reactions: turbozombie
Upvote 0
Hey, this thread has a topic. I know this because the OP conveniently placed said topic in the first post, which is how it normally works. If you do not have something to say related to this topic then please move on to another thread leaving all grilled cheese and cool story bro discussions to their appropriate threads.

Upvote 0
I have heard of some bugs in the OTA but have read most of the forums and haven't heard of any problems with the RUU updating mainly because the RUU update wipes your phone clean before it starts , eliminating possible bugs .
Over the years most smartphone upgrades always suggested doing a hard reset when changing roms or os's. Always start with a clean slate an you don't have the bugs you can get installing an upgrade over an older system. People could have apps that haven't been upgraded for 2.2 and they could cause problems.
The OTA doesn't wipe your phone clean before it starts the upgrade , thus the chance for bugs.
I flashed the RUU and have no problems with scrolling or anything else. Everything works fine like it is supposed to.

Upvote 0
I hate double posting.

For those expressing concern over the Gingerbread update, here's some dates to consider.

-The droid Eris hit end of life in June, roughly 2 weeks after Froyo went open-source. The Droid 2 hit EOL on August 6th, about 10 weeks after. Huge difference when you're looking at a 1-3 month dev cycle. That's partly why the Droid got 2.2.

-2.2 went open source on May 20th, hit the Incredible on August 27th, roughly 3 month gap.

-Gingerbread is slated for "Q4 2010" according to Google, which means October-December. If we give HTC/Verizon a 4-month lead time, that means Gingerbread could in theory hit the Incredible between February-April.

-Incredible has a slated end of life for March 31st, 2011, meaning a Gingerbread release seems more likely based on the above timelines.

-Lastly, the timeline could be affected by the rumor of a baked in UI for 3.0. This could cause HTC to simply go with Widgets rather than a full UI overhaul (speeding up development cycle), or having to do more work to get Sense incorporated how we know it (slowing down the dev cycle). If the latter, Gingerbread becomes less likely.

If I had to guess, I would say that Gingerbread is coming to the Incredible, and that it will be the last OS update for our device. Of course, that is pure speculation on my part, so take it with a barrel of salt.

We'll I gotta say, this is good info. thanks man!, maybe we will get it!

Upvote 0
I don't use bluetooth, so this isn't really a deal-breaker for me.

I actually have noticed the battery life to be better, even without using an app killer....especially without using an app killer. It's SO much better at managing background tasks.

My phone works fine...I've never been app-heavy so I didn't run into a lot of force closes. I think honestly, if you have something other than stock it's going to be expected upon a new release that those applications aren't going to work as they previously did. You might not need a reset, just uninstall what doesn't work.

What sense issues? I personally love sense ui - I've never had problems with it and still don't.

Overall it was a VERY smooth update for me and I have nothing bad to say about verizon, HTC, or the way they handled this update. An expected update time might've been nice, but really we should just be thankful we're getting an update.

Keep in mind I did have the official OTA. I didn't use any roms/root/ruu or anything of that sort. That could very well mean all the difference on the reports you're seeing.

Afterthought: Another note about the battery. A big issue is that people expect the battery to last forever when this is in fact a performance device. That's like getting a performance car and expecting it to get the same gas mileage as a compact car. If you want good battery life don't use a phone that rivals low-end computers.

Very well put and totally agree

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones