• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why I am going to pass on FROYO

Ugh.. 2.2 in comparison is DEFINITELY slower performance wise in every way. Gizmodo did some tests and found out that 10.1 flash was actually the reason, but it's just unacceptable how the update seems to have totally caused lag for EVERYTHING on my incredible.

Not having the problems you are. Did you install 2.1 over 2.2 without starting fresh? If the browser is your problem, turn Flash to on demand (Dolphin has the option).

As far as interface and apps, 2.2 is faster than 2.1. No comparison.

Seems all the issues that Sprint and VZW have had with 2.2 would not be an issue if the did several things (the last two are practical):

1. Stop bolting on interface layers to Android
2. Force data wipes for major updates (like 2.2)
3. Provide an official back-up utility for user apps. Built-in, that works just like Rom Manager so apps are backed up before updating. Then a simple restore.

Upvote 0
Ugh.. 2.2 in comparison is DEFINITELY slower performance wise in every way. Gizmodo did some tests and found out that 10.1 flash was actually the reason, but it's just unacceptable how the update seems to have totally caused lag for EVERYTHING on my incredible.

It could be part of the reason, but plenty of us don't have it, so it isn't the ONLY reason.

Course, doesn't matter: just get the updated version and it should run a lot better:

http://androidforums.com/incredible...-web-scrolling-fixed-update-flash-player.html

As for the general lag, you probably need to do a factory wipe. You just did a major upgrade ( Yes, I know you don't see all THAT much that changed...but the changelog is some 330 pages long. That's major, and with it mostly being behind the scenes, who knows what all is conflicting right now. A clean wipe has fixed I believe everyones lag so far. )

Upvote 0
all i have to say is that there is so much preloaded crap now on 2.2 and apps just start by themselves hogging up all the RAM, draining the battery, and it gets really annoying.
They don't drain the battery (look at the CPU consumed: they will be zero) and they only consume memory until something else needs it. In other words, they are totally benign, other than cluttering up the app drawer.

Upvote 0
I got my update notification this morning and I decided to say no, for now. A friend of my got the update a couple weeks ago (not on a DINC) and said he hates the way his phone runs and wishes he could go back. He said that he lost photos and contacts, even though they were synced with gmail. Doing a quick search reveals some dissatisfaction. People tend to post when they have issues and not when things are running smoothly so I wanted to hear from the happy and unhappy.

I'm just wondering what other people think of the update, mainly, is it worth the potential hassle? If I did wait, would some of these "issues" get ironed-out by Verizon or is this it?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones