• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is Verizon NOt Marketing their best phone? The Incredible.

It's damn near impossible to get the phone where I am (Long Island, NY) and I think I really lucked out (VZW store ordered one for me after I put a deposit on it). I'd imagine—like others said—they'd much rather wait until they have ample stock before advertising this beauty.

I've seen a lot of ads for the Motorola Droid, so I'm guessing they're trying to dump that and get more Incredibles in. Not too many people I've talked to know what this phone is—but everyone knows what the Droid is.

Upvote 0
How was that relevant to the discussion I'm referring to, that you quoted?

Because they don't spend much money at all on phone advertisements plain and simple. Put it this way. If they spent $100 million on the Droid (flagship phone at the time) - that would be 2.7% of their domestic $3.7 billion budget.

I wonder where the other $3.6 goes?

:thinking::eek::cool::rolleyes:;)

Upvote 0
Why would Motorola pay VZW when VZW depends on their products to get contracts? Where did you see this? I'm pretty sure most, if not all, advertising is through VZW's budget.
It's called "co-op advertising". Most larger manufacturers have co-op dollars available for their retailers. When you see an ad for your local car dealer, pushing a certain Ford model, Ford most likely kicked in some co-op dollars. Same with Nike and your local shoe store.

Upvote 0
Good info, just wanted to know for sure. Its funny when people ask me what the **** is that? when they see i have a new verizon phone.

Then they have it in their hands... "What is this????? sick!!!!!! whats it called when did it come out" lol...

Mine is in a silicone case and it really looks like an iPhone if you just glance at it. I've had people think it was an iPhone (because they've never heard of the Incredible) or the mythical Verizon iPhone because of the VZW logo on the phone.

I've crushed a few dreams in the 8 days I've had the phone...

Upvote 0
Because they don't spend much money at all on phone advertisements plain and simple. Put it this way. If they spent $100 million on the Droid (flagship phone at the time) - that would be 2.7% of their domestic $3.7 billion budget.

I wonder where the other $3.6 goes?

:thinking::eek::cool::rolleyes:;)
Umm, you aren't even comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. We are talking about advertising dollars and you are tossing out TOWER expenses. Of course it won't seem like alot. Towers are their entire infrastructure, whereas that $100 million was for one phone.

Upvote 0
Hey guys Droid owner here and I think u guys r right about the incredible being the best phone out. That being said I think the reason so much advertising was done for the Droid was because it was the phone that they felt would pave the way for androids onslaught to take market share from apple. I think they wanted to hit hard with the droid and follow up with great devices like the incredible to keep the pressure on. I don't think its any disrespect to HTC or the incredible. But this is just my opinion.I played with the incredible and its a beast of a phone and can't wait to see it rooted. Can't wait to see what phones will be out when I can upgrade. Seeing the incredible lets me know android is on the right track

Upvote 0
Hey guys Droid owner here and I think u guys r right about the incredible being the best phone out. That being said I think the reason so much advertising was done for the Droid was because it was the phone that they felt would pave the way for androids onslaught to take market share from apple. I think they wanted to hit hard with the droid and follow up with great devices like the incredible to keep the pressure on. I don't think its any disrespect to HTC or the incredible. But this is just my opinion.I played with the incredible and its a beast of a phone and can't wait to see it rooted. Can't wait to see what phones will be out when I can upgrade. Seeing the incredible lets me know android is on the right track

I agree with this. and also. like has been said before. why do they need to advertise at all? I walked into a VZW corp store today for some accessories and they can't even keep those on the shelf, let alone the incredible. lady told me to check back friday, they get shipments then, but to not wait till saturday they most likely won't have anything left.

this is about as bad as trying to find ammo... and because of our wonderful left winged media, u can't advertise firearms and ammo on tv... if people know it's there, why do you need to advertise?

Upvote 0
They will market the phone more after they have inventory, the phone is being sold out since it came out without marketing so just imagine if they were marketing the phone they would be spending money with a phone that is not in inventory and until they have no incredible in stores they make some money on moto droid and palm pre, I think they are doing it right about not marketing right now

Upvote 0
Umm, you aren't even comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. We are talking about advertising dollars and you are tossing out TOWER expenses. Of course it won't seem like alot. Towers are their entire infrastructure, whereas that $100 million was for one phone.

No, I am talking about advertisement $$.

They spent 3.7 billion dollars in advertisement $$ for 2009.

That means 100 millions is 2.7% of their total advertisements as their flagship phone.

I.E. Very little spent.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
No, I am talking about advertisement $$.

They spent 3.7 billion dollars in advertisement $$ for 2009.

That means 100 millions is 2.7% of their total advertisements as their flagship phone.

I.E. Very little spent.
You're original post was:
Pocket change.

They spent $55 billion dollars nationally since 2009 on 3g towers.

Now they want to switch to 4g already?

Ouch.

Which is what you quoted mines on, and which is what I'm running with. Advertising budgets do NOT ONLY include phones itself. If you have seen some of the recent VZW commercials, they are boasting about their network coverage. You must keep that in mind (the last few sentences are referring to your latter post of 3 billion). If you can find another PHONE (yes, ONLY phone) that received that amount of budget, then I would be more than happy to admit I stand corrected on my original statement.

Upvote 0
This thread is funny. So many people typing like they know what the heck they are talking about with respect to advertising...:D I've seen tv ads, web ads, and the VZW stores have ads. Two people at work want an Incredible but were told they won't be shipping more until the end of this month. Why anyone thinks they are not advertising, or need to do so more - is beyond me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones