• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why is Windows Mobile considered bad?

Let me rephrase that to be more specific, then. All WinMo devices I know of have a shorter battery life than similar devices used in similar conditions but running different operating systems. This is my experience, that of the people I know, and what I read on all forums, reviews etc.

My Motorola MPX200 used to last less than 20 hours in standby. I mean, in standby, no call, no data connections at all! Too old a mobile? Then let's consider the Treo 750v. It used to last less than 24 hours in standby, with only a data connection on. If I turned it on on a Saturday morning and left it on a table without ever using it, and without receiving a single text call or email, it would be dead Sunday morning, lunchtime max. By contrast, my Nokia E61 with Blackberry functionality would last 2-3 days with heavy email usage and moderate phone usage. My Nokia E71 lasts about 1.5 days with moderate email usage and moderate web browsing.

Now, unless someone can explain to me that the two WinMo phones I had had very poor hardware and that short battery life was due to hardware and not WinMo, and that WinMo made sooooo much progress since I last used it, I'm still inclined to think it is a very poor operating system.

I appreciate that, for example, the Motorola Droid/Milestone, with a much larger screen that my Nokia E71, will tend to have a short battery life. But the Treo 750v and the E61 had similar functionalities and screen size, yet the difference in the battery life was just incredible.

I hope I made my point clearer now. I was not comparing apples to oranges.

Sigh. Your not getting it. Winmo has more power and functionality, which require more power. And most people don't need more than a days worth of power. Really. Still apples to oranges. I just think your just one of the many tech-challenged out there who the phone os was too complicated for, and just needed something simple. That doesn't change the fact its still an etremely powerful mobile os.

Upvote 0
Sigh. Your not getting it. Winmo has more power and functionality, which require more power. And most people don't need more than a days worth of power. Really. Still apples to oranges. I just think your just one of the many tech-challenged out there who the phone os was too complicated for, and just needed something simple. That doesn't change the fact its still an etremely powerful mobile os.

Yet another questionable opinion not substantiated by facts.

WHAT are these extra functionalities, if I may enquire? :thinking: What could the Treo 750v do which the Nokis E61 and E71 can't, and which would justify the shorter battery life? :thinking: When I left the Treo 750v on a table, didn't use it for the whole weekend, nor received any sms call or email, why did the battery die in about 24 hours anyway? What super-powerful functionalities were being used which drained the battery? Why did my Nokia, with heavier usage and more advanced functionalities (email via imap idle, skype, wifi connection, web browsing etc) last much longer? :thinking:

Upvote 0

Windows Mobile 6.5 Review: There's No Excuse For This - Windows mobile 6.5 review - Gizmodo

HTC Touch HD2 Review: A Tragedy - Htc touch hd2 review - Gizmodo

In order to get a decent handset with WinMobile on it, HTC had to drastically change the OS. As the author points out, handset manufacturers have been doing more on WinMo than Microsoft itself!

Of course, these are just opinions, and other people may feel differently. But at least the author substantiated what he said, unlike you.

Upvote 0
Windows Mobile 6.5 Review: There's No Excuse For This - Windows mobile 6.5 review - Gizmodo

HTC Touch HD2 Review: A Tragedy - Htc touch hd2 review - Gizmodo

In order to get a decent handset with WinMobile on it, HTC had to drastically change the OS. As the author points out, handset manufacturers have been doing more on WinMo than Microsoft itself!

Of course, these are just opinions, and other people may feel differently. But at least the author substantiated what he said, unlike you.

Ok one, your wrong again kiddo. HTC didnt change shit. Ok? They built a UI. It's a PROGRAM. Jesus. And those media tech outlets are unfairly biased against Microsoft as an entity, and pro-Apple. That is a commonly known fact. Second, the "author" didn't "substantiate" anything. You are just being silly now, and grasping for straws. It is clear I have won this debate, as you have now resorted to quoting websites that give bad reviews to anything that isn't Apple.

That's like trying to get an accurate approval rating of Mr. Obama, at a Klan rally. I'm done here, I have answered the OP, and other people need my help.

Good Day to you Sir.

Upvote 0
Ok one, your wrong again kiddo. HTC didnt change shit. Ok? They built a UI. It's a PROGRAM. Jesus. And those media tech outlets are unfairly biased against Microsoft as an entity, and pro-Apple. That is a commonly known fact. Second, the "author" didn't "substantiate" anything. You are just being silly now, and grasping for straws. It is clear I have won this debate, as you have now resorted to quoting websites that give bad reviews to anything that isn't Apple.

That's like trying to get an accurate approval rating of Mr. Obama, at a Klan rally. I'm done here, I have answered the OP, and other people need my help.

Good Day to you Sir.

You mentioned that WinMo supposedly has more and extra functionalities. When I asked you what these super-duper functionalities actually are, your silence was defeaning.

I pointed out that Nokias with moderate usage last longer than the Treo 750v, a WinMo device, on standby, but again your silence was defeaning.

As for HTC, it so happens that UI has a huge impact on usability. Not only that, HTC added multitouch, a feature (not just a set of icons) not present in the standard WinMo.

You're either a troll or are clearly delusional.

Upvote 0
You mentioned that WinMo supposedly has more and extra functionalities. When I asked you what these super-duper functionalities actually are, your silence was defeaning.

I pointed out that Nokias with moderate usage last longer than the Treo 750v, a WinMo device, on standby, but again your silence was defeaning.

As for HTC, it so happens that UI has a huge impact on usability. Not only that, HTC added multitouch, a feature (not just a set of icons) not present in the standard WinMo.

You're either a troll or are clearly delusional.

Perhaps you should scroll up a few posts and maybe read something I posted, Twice already in this very thread. You're clearly BLIND.

/Owned

Upvote 0
Perhaps you should scroll up a few posts and maybe read something I posted, Twice already in this very thread. You're clearly BLIND.

/Owned

Then spell it out for me. Fill in the blanks:

The super duder functionalities are....
With Windows Mobile you can do ........ which you cannot do with Symbian or Android.
A Windows Mobile device (Treo 750v) in standby lasts much less than Nokias (E61 and E71) with medium usage (imap idle, wifi, skype, web browsing, etc) because ...

Are you sure you're not Bill Gates in disguise? :thinking:

Upvote 0
WinMo is a better business phone OS, hands down. If you are looking for a fun phone then go with the Android.

The final decision to get my Hero was the fact that it is the ONLY Android phone that is supposed to sync with Outlook. After getting the phone I find out that it is extremely difficult to get HTC Sync to load and work. Even if you do, it is not a true two-way sync, it will only download your contacts and will not upload if you change the contacts in your phone.

The Touch Pro 2 is a little too steep for me to switch for right now thanks to the economy, so I will ride the next year out with the Hero. If someone comes up with a true sync application for Outlook then I will stay with Android, otherwise I will be going back to WinMo when 7 comes out.

Upvote 0
WinMo is a better business phone OS, hands down. If you are looking for a fun phone then go with the Android.

The final decision to get my Hero was the fact that it is the ONLY Android phone that is supposed to sync with Outlook. After getting the phone I find out that it is extremely difficult to get HTC Sync to load and work. Even if you do, it is not a true two-way sync, it will only download your contacts and will not upload if you change the contacts in your phone.

The Touch Pro 2 is a little too steep for me to switch for right now thanks to the economy, so I will ride the next year out with the Hero. If someone comes up with a true sync application for Outlook then I will stay with Android, otherwise I will be going back to WinMo when 7 comes out.

I'm curious, have you tried TouchDown or Roadsync to sync with Outlook/Exchange?

I use an imap mailbox, so an imap idle client (the free k-9 on Android or the not-freeware-but-worth-the-money Profimail on WinMo and Symbians) works great for me. But I'm curious about syncing contacts, calendars and tasks with Exchange servers.

Also, what's your take on the stability and usability of WinMo?

Upvote 0
I never had any problems with stability or usability. I would have to reboot three or four times a week, but I have to do that with my Hero also.

I used it as a phone, organizer, e-mail, for entering my contacts in the field, web browsing, showing job pic's to potential customers and texting. The only aftermarket software I ran was SPB Mobile Shell, I did not use my phone for games or any other applications since WinMo already had the ones I needed, Word and Excel.

I sync directly to Outlook, I do not use an exchange server. Do either of those programs offer that capability? For e-mail I utilize my pop3 accounts to check my mail in the field.

Upvote 0
I sync directly to Outlook, I do not use an exchange server. Do either of those programs offer that capability? quote]

Not sure, probably not. I never looked into that because I am more interested in synchronizing mobile and server than mobile and Outlook.

I always found it surprising how imap idle is almost never integrated into these systems, it seems you always have to resort to third party programs... I guess business users all use exchange servers, and for non-business users it's not that important...

Upvote 0
I do not need to spell it out for you, all that can be done now is someone next you giving you a hands on tour, as it seems even though you owned a winmo device,(I never liked palm winmo stuff), you could not find these said features, or did not care to try. You need to explore these options yourself, as it seems your only interested in bashing the platform, and not interested in being a consumer at all. That being said, it is a waste of my time to prove a point that has been proven a few times already, by other individuals and myself, for someone who will not use it as a positive result.

Upvote 0
I do not need to spell it out for you, all that can be done now is someone next you giving you a hands on tour, as it seems even though you owned a winmo device,(I never liked palm winmo stuff), you could not find these said features, or did not care to try. You need to explore these options yourself, as it seems your only interested in bashing the platform, and not interested in being a consumer at all. That being said, it is a waste of my time to prove a point that has been proven a few times already, by other individuals and myself, for someone who will not use it as a positive result.

You never replied to specific questions!
You're either delusional or a troll. It was a mistake to spend my time replying to you, a mistake I will not repeat.

Upvote 0
Exchange is not cost effective for small businesses like mine, which is why I set mine up pop3. I download the e-mails direct to my phone and leave a copy on the server so I can download them to my office computer as well.

I'm curious, why don't you use imap? With imap you get full synchronization, even for the read/unread status, so that emails deleted from the mobile are deleted from the server, and those sent from the mobile are uploaded to the server, so that you can keep track of it. Also, if your mail server supports imap idle, you can get push email without an expensive blackberry plan. Not sure if WinMo supports imap idle by default, but Profimail does.

Upvote 0
i think it's wrong to assume that people think that winmo is "bad" so to speak.
it's more than useable and delivers most if not all of the things you might like to have in a mobile device. the only reason i think a lot of people opt in favour of other avenues is that there are other mobile OSes that deliver a less complicated but equally as functional user experience. in some cases a much ore refined experience too.

Upvote 0
I'm curious, why don't you use imap? With imap you get full synchronization, even for the read/unread status, so that emails deleted from the mobile are deleted from the server, and those sent from the mobile are uploaded to the server, so that you can keep track of it. Also, if your mail server supports imap idle, you can get push email without an expensive blackberry plan. Not sure if WinMo supports imap idle by default, but Profimail does.

My email server is set up pop3, I prefer to have my e-mails on my computer and it is not the e-mails I am concerned with syncing, it is my calendar and contacts. I don't send critical e-mails I need to keep track of from my phone. I can receive and send a note that I will get on it when I get back to my office, and all received e-mails stay on the server till I download them from my office computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones