• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why only 1G Memory?

My 8GB Sdcard is pretty filled up :(

(Have the whole Bible on it and thats 5GB alone lol)

I'm hoping I can get a 16 GB card for cheap soon. Either that or I hope my next phone has alot of internal storage where I would place the Bible on.

Not sure why you bother. The Bible is fully accessible on the internet at all times. Tons of sites with search queries and stuff. I guess you may have a unique need but even then, 5GB seems high. You must have a very graphically intense Bible, since I have thousands of pages on my Nook of other books at a much lower storage number.

Upvote 0
... can tell you without a doubt that all HTC applications accept the data from the internal memory and SD card seamlessly.
This is not quite true. I have all my music on the internal memory, and the stock music player will not display the albumnart.jpg album covers from the internal memory. If I put the music on the SD card the art displays correctly.

Upvote 0
This is not quite true. I have all my music on the internal memory, and the stock music player will not display the albumnart.jpg album covers from the internal memory. If I put the music on the SD card the art displays correctly.

I don't want to steal this thread as it should not be about the Inc but I don't get album art from either storage loaction. Could you share your directory info on your card? Mine is sdcard/MP3/My Music. There is a post about this in the Inc. forum but most seem to get an app. to solve.

Upvote 0
I obviously have the Inc. and can tell you without a doubt that all HTC applications accept the data from the internal memory and SD card seamlessly.

Footprints, the HTC geo-blogging app, does not work with the internal memory. If you're going to make a statement, at least verify it first. :rolleyes:

Just wondering why remove something espically since it's a later release than the Incredible. What not make it more incredible

Verizon asked HTC for the internal memory, thinking it would be a "premium" feature. Bzzzt. Fail. Verizon should have asked for 720p recording, or a 1500 mah battery. But they didn't. Fail, again.

Sprint asked for more ROM. It benefits everyone, and its universally available to all apps, widgets and programs. Ding, Ding! Winner!

Upvote 0
Hi new here but have been doing some research on the EVO the internal memory is 16GB with 32GB external.

citation-needed-wikipedia-819731_500_271.jpg

Upvote 0
That's my point though. Why not do both like on the Inc.? Both phones are HTC. My answer is I'd rather have more internal storage than a front facing camera. Not an argument just use as a point to why HTC wouldn't try to satisfy all on both networks.

You know, this made me think a bit. I was sure both phones had all 3 types of memory/storage. So I did some researching and here's what I came up with:

RAM: Evo = 512MB / Incredible = 512MB

ROM (Primary Storage): Evo = 1GB / Incredible = 512MB

Secondary storage (Extended Storage):
EVO = 8GB to 32GB support of removable (extended) storage
Incredible = fixed (internal) 8GB + an expandable 32GB support of removable (extended) storage.

There's basically 3 types memory/storage types we're dealing here.

1. RAM
  2. Primary Storage (ROM)
  3. Secondary Storage (Extended storage)

RAM in computers (not sure about phones) is volatile. Meaning if you turn it off, everything will be wiped clean. In computers it's has faster transfer of data then both storage devices (again I don't know about phones). This is where all your apps, software and OS will go when they are activated.

Primary Storage- Basically somewhere to store everything else you're not using. In computers, it usually move data at a slower rate. Not sure about phones and the brand new SSD cards that came out.

Secondary Storage - Is an extension of your Primary storage. a great place to put all your back-ups, music and photos. since most are usually removable and you can switch from one device to another. Also a great place to store your mirror image of your OS/system and contacts so in an event of a crash, you can always restore the images. Not sure if mirror images works for phones as well.

If you think about it, both phones have all 3. It's just that the Secondary storage of the Evo is removable (upgradable) and the incredible has both removable storage upto 32GB and fixed 8GB

Edit to corrections pointed out by Android 17 and mrk.

Upvote 0
You cannot remove the Incredible 8 gig internal, but it has an additional slot for microSD cards, so it's hardly an issue.

Looks like you're correct. It does have another microSD slot that's expandable to 32GB like the Evo. Hmmm Very interesting. Looks like it has 2 secondary storage while the evo only has one. Let me edit my post above if you don't mind. :)

Upvote 0
Caloy: The Incredible has 8GB internal and is expandable via a microSD slot. Not sure why you'd need to solder or do anything of the sort here. In any case, there are no positives to the Evo's situation regarding internal storage (again, as separate from RAM/ROM).

So I noticed, my apologies. I read the spec sheet wrong. Let me edit the post.

Upvote 0
I don't want to steal this thread as it should not be about the Inc but I don't get album art from either storage loaction. Could you share your directory info on your card? Mine is sdcard/MP3/My Music. There is a post about this in the Inc. forum but most seem to get an app. to solve.
I only tried it with 2 directories, so my test wasn't exhaustive. The file structure I used was /sdcard/mp3/artistname/albumname/.mp3 files + AlbumArt.jpg. I had to unmount the SD card and remount to get it to come up (by plugging into the computer and then unplugging).

I decided the art wasn't as important to me as making use of the internal memory, so I just left the music on the emmc.

Upvote 0
since sprint is including an 8gb mircosd car. i highly doubt it has 8gb internal storage.

That makes no sense. Just because they're providing a card, they won't build the device with any internal storage?

On first release, the Incredible came with the 8GB internal storage (part of the phone) and a 2GB micro sd card (upgradable to 16gb).

Upvote 0
That makes no sense. Just because they're providing a card, they won't build the device with any internal storage?

On first release, the Incredible came with the 8GB internal storage (part of the phone) and a 2GB micro sd card (upgradable to 16gb).

Exactly....

Incredible has 8GB of internal storage, with a micro sd slot that can be upgraded to 16GB (for a total of 24GB)

EVO has only a micro sd slot that can take cards up to 32GB (for a total of 32GB)

Incredible = 24GB
EVO = 32GB

Upvote 0
Exactly....

Incredible has 8GB of internal storage, with a micro sd slot that can be upgraded to 16GB (for a total of 24GB)

EVO has only a micro sd slot that can take cards up to 32GB (for a total of 32GB)

Incredible = 24GB
EVO = 32GB
I think it could just be due to marketing. I haven't seen any 32GB microSD cards available right now, so they could have just been listing the maximum available at the time.

If that's the case, then:

Incredible = 40GB
EVO = 32GB

Upvote 0
Exactly....

Incredible = 24GB
EVO = 32GB

Only 32gb microSD card available is by San Disk and I saw one that's not even released in the US yet, by Kingston. And the retail value of the 32gb card is $200 (same cost as the EVO).

The other thing I'm wondering is, maybe Verizon ONLY put down 16gb microSD as the max, due to the 32gb card not having been released yet. How are we to know that it's only limited to accept the 16gb microSD MAX?

And if you look at it even further, Droid Incredible users already got 10gb of storage out of the box. If they want to get a 16gb microSD, that's $50 more to have 24gb of storage. EVO owners spend the same amount and only have 16gb of storage. So who loses more in the end? ON TOP of that, EVO owners have to pay $10 more per month?

Honestly, I'm going on and on about something that is yet to be determined/confirmed by anyone. I'll be VERY disappointed if the EVO doesn't have at least 8gb of internal storage.

Upvote 0
Verizon customers pay $10 a month more even with the $10 evo charge. If you upgrade your phone every year that's a $120 savings. So if you combine the $120 with the $50 (cost of 16gb card) you only pay $30 for for the $200 32gb card. So all things being equal the evo with 32gb is only $30 more expensive after one year than the incredible iwht only 24gb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones