• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi connection problem after Froyo update

After upgrading to Froyo on my Samsung Vibrant, my Wifi always got stuck on "Obtaining IP Address".

After restarting my router, my Samsung Galaxy tab also had the same thing happen.

The problem has to do with Android remembering the IP address used to connect to the router. If the router no longer has that IP address available when connecting, Android goes into a loop.

I found that deleting the following file fixed my problem on both devices. I used "Terminal Emulator" and my devices are rooted.

>su
>rm /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

Tried that. Even tried to remove "dhcpcd-eth0.lease file, but same story. Obtaining Ip....obtaining Ip....network disabled..
I also went into /data/wifi/ and removed the "bcm_supp.conf" file. No luck with that either i think. A new file was writen as soon as i started my wifi...

Then i tried opening Allshare as it have brought up the wifi before, but it wouldnt now. So i copy the two dhcp fils back to folder and restarted my phone. Went into advanced wifi settings and set a static IP to 192.168.2.15, Went in to router settings and changed channel from 11 to 7, (as i have done before with no results, switching channel on my router that is) Fired up wifi again and it connected. Then i switched off static ip, and tried again and it would still connect. So i looks like i

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I had the same problem with my Samsung Captivate running a leak version of Froyo 2.2 and tried all the previous fixes with no luck either. I knew it had to be something that was different with Froyo 2.2 cuz it worked before I updated and it worked at some of my other WiFi connections, but not my work connection which quit after the update. Same problem where it connects then trys "Obtaining IP Address" and doesn't then cycles back through that a few times then shows "disabled, ???". While trouble shooting the problem I noticed there was at the same time another WiFi device with a poor signal in my list that was showing up for available connection. I decided to try and connect to it and of course didn't have the password and I got it to show Disabled, Secured with WPA/WPA2 PSK and then my work connection imediately connected and has been working great ever since! ;) So, some how that other WiFi device in the available scan list was somehow interferring with my work WiFi. So any of you having this problem on any Froyo 2.2 device should check to see if there are others on your list in that area with an available signal that you will need to some how disable.

I hope this helps others with this problem

Thanks,
Robert

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones