• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi issues

bitbuster

Lurker
Oct 16, 2009
So coming from the Hero I was hoping this would no longer be an issue but it seems that Samsung and HTC are using a similar stack for their radios as I have been having Wifi issues here on the moment as well. Just wanted to see if anyone else has the same problems:

With wifi enabled, I can browse fine, applications that use the net are working also EXCEPT for the market place. I can search and list apps fine, it just won't download them. It says that it's starting teh download but it never downloads. As soon as I switch off wifi, I get a download/network error, but when I restart the download, it downloads and installs fine. Can anyone try to replicate this? I replicated this about 6 times in a row on my moment - every single time the same result.

Then, wifi enabled, the wifi is turned off by itself. over night, during the day, after a while (difficult to replicate as it seems random). If I would have to guess I would say the wifi stack crashes. When I manually turn wifi on again, sometimes my wifi connection comes back, sometimes it won't connect to my network (can see the network, can say CONNECT but it just won't connect). And no, it's not my network as I tried it on a Starbucks wifi and I got the same results.

Set-up my Wifi and it says its connected but it wont browse, data sync or anything. I turn off Wifi and Sprint data works fine. I double checked my settings against my Hero (Which works perfect on my Wireless)and all is as it should be. I changed the IP to the Hero's IP after I turned it off and tried it again. Connects with no issue but still cannot browse or use any data. MAC has been added to the ACL, DNS, Gateway and subnet are correct. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I am just so happy that people read the Forums and come up with ideas to help each other out...notice the sarcasm in my post. When I had issues with my Crackberry, I always got a reply of some sort on their forum but not on this forum. What gives people?

i think people are still trying to figure out their devices... for a lot of people, i think it's their first smartphone.

as for your wireless issue - can you ping your phone from your computer? have you tried turning off your access list and seeing if it connects that way?

Upvote 0
Got it fixed.....its on another post but I have copied for here. Oh, I know its a new phone and all but the G1 has been out for a while now and I know G1 users have run across this issue or others before. The issue has to do with WEP.

Just to clarify for everyone. The HTC Hero would not connect unless I broadcast the SSID, which I hate. I already have an ACL in place because I was still using WEP and have DHCP disabled so no one could jump on my network unless their MAC was on the ACL, had an IP in my range and the code. When I added the Moments MAC to the ACL and assigned an IP to it, it would log-on but not pass data. When I looked at my router, it would see the MAC and the connection but couldnt display the IP. For whatever reason the Moment wouldnt or couldnt broadcast the IP given, thus no data would pass. Changed the router to WPA2-PSK [AES] and it worked like a champ. I still hate broadcasting my SSID but its needed for the phones.

Upvote 0
Did you know that it's actually more secure to broadcast your SSID?

It's because if you use Windows machines, your windows machine will broadcast the SSID & its own machine name periodically trying to hunt for the network. This is why in Windows 7 there is a big warning that if you choose to connect to hidden networks your privacy could be compromised.

That said I still hide my SSID. One of those days I'll turn it off.

Upvote 0
Hey, my first post!

Anyways, I'm having issues connecting to my router. Here's the story that will make me look like an idiot....

Purchased my Moment at the end of January and it came loaded with the CL14 update. Had no issues connecting to wifi at that time and have been happy with the performance of the phone. Not so long ago I got a notification that there was an update for my phone. To make a long story not quite as long as it could be I proceeded with the update and realized after it was finished that I had just updated my phone to the same firmware I was already running. Chalk that one up to being a noob.

My issue now, I can see my router and quite a few other networks in the area, but it won't connect. Have entered all the necessary information, my phone remembers my connection, but when I try to connect it does nothing. Wifi is turned on, tells me it's disconnected, and I've tried every setting I and trick I can think of. Anyone have any suggestions? Help would be great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones