• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi problems - two wildfires on same network

I bought 2 wildfires - one for me and one for the wife.

When at home, both devices connect and authenticate onto our wireless LAN, but only one of them will have a functioning internet connection. The other will show as connected, but will not be able to access any WAN content via browser, weather updates, marketplace, email, etc. Sometimes mine works and hers doesn't, and sometimes it's the other way around.

Looking at the router, both devices have the same (default) device name on the network which is something like AndroidDevice_2468.

I've experimented with using fixed IP adresses, and supporting this by reserving the IPs on the router by associating them, with the (unique) MAC addresses of the two phones, but it doesn't work.

I have a Netgear FR114P wired router with a Belkin 54G wireless router attached to it running in access point mode. I have a netbook, a net-top PC and a PS3 all connecting perfectly through this setup, but only one of the phones will work at a time. I can only assume it's because of this duplicate device name, but I can't see any way of changing it.

Help!

Just an idea to try no idea if it would work... Can your access point be configured to run two separate SSIDs? (like this... Configure Multiple SSIDs with One Router)

Then conect each wildfire to a differend SSID on the same router?

I don't think that will fix the problem, as they will still have to both connect to my wired router/internet gateway, and will still be duplicate device names on the same LAN.

At least I'm not alone and someone else has the same problem!

There must be a way of setting the device name in the android OS?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones