• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Will flashing a factory image cause my phone to unroot?

Check your device when you try to get an adb connection. Make sure the display is on and see if you have to allow the connection. I think they added that in lollipop as an extra security measure.

If it doesn't work with the toolkit try using adb yourself and typing adb devices. Also, that is an annoying thing about marshmallow. It's charge only by default and you have to swipe down the notification bar and switch to mtp. There's no way to make it default. There's an option in developer options but it won't stick.

I love marshmallow and that's probably my biggest annoyance with it, is no mtp by default.

Upvote 0
It finally went through after multiple tries, but supersu says this: There is no supersu binary installed, and supersu cannot install it. This is a problem! If you just upgraded to android 5.0 you need to manually re-root - consult the relevant forums for your device!

eta: it said this before as well, which is why I re-rooted. I don't know how to do it manually.

Upvote 0
Grrr. I've never seen it not work before. I'm not sure what would cause that??

Can you open the supersu app now? If so can you grant root to TiBu from within the app?

I can't seem to grant root from within the TiBu app. I can open supersu and it shows no permissions. The reason I'm trying to install busybox again is because TiBu couldn't seem to access it. now, however, it says this in busybox: An error occurred while trying to install busybox. Try restarting the application (did this twice now) and try again or you can email me".

every time, I have to force stop the app because it won't open after the failed install attempts.

Upvote 0
You might have to. I still don't see why that would cause issues with SuperSU though....
The only thing I could think is that there were some differences between kk and mm in the partitions and maybe you need to reflash the data partition. I've honestly never had problems with any of my Nexus devices so I'm not sure what the issue is.

You can't install busy box probably because it needs root.

Go to the play store and see if supersu has an update available for the app. I vaguely remember awhile back on lollipop having an issue and it was suggested to get the supersu pro key. So I did and haven't had issues again but I don't know for sure if that would solve any of your issues.

If you decide to do a full wipe, make sure you backup everything to your PC. Especially your titanium backup app backups so that you don't lose them.

Also, this might be worth a look too: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-fix-unfortunately-supersu-has-stopped-error-android-devices-1490978

Upvote 0
I just did a search and in another forum, wug said if you're coming from kitkat to not use the no-wipe. So I bet that's my problem even though it now does not have kitkat. It did before and maybe some saved data is messing things up. I already transferred all my backups to my pc other than 2 texts that I just now got from my sister. Before I do it I'll check that article.

eta:
https://disqus.com/home/discussion/wugfresh/nrt/#comment-1691464877

Upvote 0
Well, if wug specifically said that you need to wipe if upgrading from kk I think you're gonna have to bite the bullet.

There must be some changes that require it. I know that you don't have kk anymore now, but your data partition remained untouched from the upgrade because you didn't flash the data.img

I'm not 100% sure but after a little more looking around, that fix I linked to might only apply to Samsung devices with knox.

I'd probably just reflash with a full wipe and see if it fixes the issues because it sounds like there's no way around it.

Upvote 0
Still the same. I sideloaded supersu and installed it from the apk. Also installed supersu pro for the extra features, rebooted my phone, and still it says the same error message. I wonder if I will just have to live with an unrooted phone for now. That means no restoring my backups and no backing up anything from here on out.

Upvote 0
apparently I did but maybe I can fix it. I tried to copy my TiBu folder back onto my phone and it says it can't do it. I have mtp selected. The thing is nothing has ever been backed up on the phone as it is now, and the TiBu folder is not a folder, but a file. But it seems to read as a folder so I can't make a new one, and I can't copy anything into the non folder. I'm scared to death to remove that folder/file thing so I think I will back up a single app and maybe that will turn the file into a folder.

eta: the backups are on the sd card which I can't seem to access via my pc so I'm hoping to put them in a new folder, then copy/paste them into the TiBu folder.

eta: that worked-I was able to move the files, then when I refreshed the apps list in TiBu it showed all the old apps. I'm restoring now and crossing all fingers and toes that it works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
everything seems fine now. The battery life is horrible so far. I can literally watch my battery die. So I need to figure that out. I have most notifications turned off and I just reset greenify. So now that I'm on stock marshmallow and rooted I could technically flash DU more easily, right? Or am I inviting trouble? I like the extra features on DU.

Upvote 0
I'd give it a couple days to settle before judging battery life. I have found battery to be amazing on MM.

You should be able to install dirty unicorns. Make sure you get the latest from HERE.

If you flash, make a backup first in TWRP. Backup system, data, boot.

If for any reason you have problems with the dirty unicorns installation, you can easily revert back to your current setup!

Reactions: gale65
Upvote 0
On my N6 I haven't had any issues with notifications. Well, I have with the Inbox app, but I think I know what's causing that and it's a different issue.

FYI, be aware that this is DU's first Marshmallow release... So you may not see everything you are looking for. But that's the great thing about TWRP, it's easy to restore back if you don't like something.

Upvote 0
"Even on the factory images, you could still root the stock rom by flashing superSU."

I have a new (replacement) Nexus 5 and have flashed the mmb29v factory image and TWRP 3.0.0 recovery. However, I can't find a superSU version that successfully flashes using either "fastboot update ...zip" or TWRP recovery after bluetoothing the zip file across..

Suggestions, please?

Upvote 0
@hstroph
Personally I can't keep up anymore with which supersu to use. I've always been one to manually flash everything but these days I just use wugfresh Nexus root toolkit. I wait for him to release the new version for new releases and just use the return to stock option with no wipe and no force encrypt boot.img (my preference to not use thr encryption). Then I use the root option and include recovery.

Easiest way to get on the latest factory image with root and latest TWRP.

Reactions: Hook
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones