• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Sprint get the Razr Maxx?

Not a fan of Motorola, so I couldn't really care for the Razr/Razr Maxx. Honestly, the US carriers have to stop stock piling on these run of the mill Android phones. Too many variations is really killing development.

Run of the mill? Before you call it that, you should really check it out. DROID RAZR MAXX - Extended Battery Life - Android Smartphone - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

I have, in the last couple of years had the EVO 4G, Samsung Moment (very briefly), EVO 3D (very briefly) and the Motorola Photon on Sprint's network. IMO, the Photon is a far superior phone than anything Sprint has on their network currently.

I am happy we have so many phones to choose from. Companies are forced to make them faster, thinner and with more features in order to compete. The Market has over 500,000 apps and I have only found about 50 that I want/need.

Reactions: la sal and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Run of the mill? Before you call it that, you should really check it out. DROID RAZR MAXX - Extended Battery Life - Android Smartphone - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

I have, in the last couple of years had the EVO 4G, Samsung Moment (very briefly), EVO 3D (very briefly) and the Motorola Photon on Sprint's network. IMO, the Photon is a far superior phone than anything Sprint has on their network currently.

I am happy we have so many phones to choose from. Companies are forced to make them faster, thinner and with more features in order to compete. The Market has over 500,000 apps and I have only found about 50 that I want/need.

You are entitled to your opinion, but if you are talking strictly on a hardware basis - the Epic 4G Touch is Sprint's best device, then the EVO 3D, then the Photon. That's just the unfortunate truth. If you want to look at it from a developer's point of view, the EVO 3D is the best, then the Epic 4G Touch, then the Photon. Any way you look at it, it's all about personal preference. If you like it, then it doesn't matter what others think.

Reactions: CarrieK
Upvote 0
You are entitled to your opinion, but if you are talking strictly on a hardware basis - the Epic 4G Touch is Sprint's best device, then the EVO 3D, then the Photon. That's just the unfortunate truth...

Simple truth? Boy sounds like an opinion to me but I have to agree with zombroid, I've owned the Epic, Evo 4G and Evo 3D (PoS IMHO) and then migrated to the Photon. Couldn't be happier with it, followed by a close second on the Touch. But I realize that is an opinion, not a simple truth. I'm a developer as well.

Upvote 0
I realize that everyone has different preferences and consider different things to be important. As an EVO 3D owner since before launch it is mho that it is a great device and way underrated. MHL is awesome and allows full mirroring of your phone to your HDTV. Great for gaming or streaming movies or video to your tv. Also allows viewing of 3D content on your 3D tv and if you don't have a 3D tv it will display the 3D content as 2D. I am a very satisfied owner.

Upvote 0
Im just curious dp you ppl know that the razr is a copyrighted by Verizon.. Gezzzz.. Why would you want a phone that you can't do a battery pull anyway

You know, when I owned the HTC EVO 3D and had to pull the battery everyday to reset it, I would have asked the same question as you..., but since I have owned the Motorola Photon, almost since launch day, I have not had to pull my battery for a reset once.

The 3300 mAh battery in the RAZR Maxx is just damn sweet. I had a chance to use a friend's Droid RAZR recently and it is an awesome phone.

Upvote 0
You are entitled to your opinion, but if you are talking strictly on a hardware basis - the Epic 4G Touch is Sprint's best device, then the EVO 3D, then the Photon. That's just the unfortunate truth. If you want to look at it from a developer's point of view, the EVO 3D is the best, then the Epic 4G Touch, then the Photon. Any way you look at it, it's all about personal preference. If you like it, then it doesn't matter what others think.
Umm actually the photon is concederably better.... Esp when ya gotta pick up a signal

Upvote 0
I'm a developer as well.

Preaching to the choir, bud. I do some development myself on my EVO 3D. Not that it really matters. I'm not interested in a pissing contest, but take a look at the development section (XDA, RootzWiki, etc) of the opposing two devices (E4GT and 3VO). There is a reason why Photon development is almost nonexistent.

Upvote 0
Could the RAZR MAXX be flashed to work on SPRINT's upcoming 4G LTE &/or 3G network?

Probably not unless you put it on one of the MVNO's.

Call me old fashioned (yikes) but I'd rather have a slightly thicker phone with a removable battery. An extra couple of MM's and a 3kMah battery could fit just fine in a phone with removable cover.

Upvote 0
I see that people like the Motorola Photon for Sprint. I'm looking at upgrading from my EVO 4G and was considering the Photon or Galaxy S2 since the Motorola Razr Maxx isn't available on Sprint at this time. Any recommendations on those phones for Sprint?

Both phones are good but they have been out for almost 6 month now.I would wait to see what MWC has coming for future phones first.

Upvote 0
Bnice;[URL="tel:3952081" said:
3952081[/URL]]Both phones are good but they have been out for almost 6 month now.I would wait to see what MWC has coming for future phones first.

+1 I'd wait for a 4G LTE/quad core phone.
But,if you absolutely must have a new phone now,all the latest big 3 w/SPRINT can be had for a decent price.
Just got a pop-up from RADIO SHACK for the EVO 3D for $49.99.
BEST BUY has the PHOTON for the same price.
I'm sure a deal could be found on the ET4G as well.

Upvote 0
achock:

If you could combine the Photon's superior radios (voice and data reception, lack of signal loss/dropped calls), it's better sound quality/volume of both earpiece and speakerphone, and it's (vastly) superior GPS with the Epic 4G Touch's superior Super Amoled display, faster processor speed, and (vastly) superior camera, then you would have the best phone at the moment for Sprint, in my opinion.

I bought the Photon when it was first released, then I sold it and bought an Epic 4G Touch that I ended up using for a month before returning to the Photon. The Photon is once again my daily-use phone based on overall reliability. Both phones have their advantages, but for me, after testing each of them all around Las Vegas, the most critical advantages (as listed above) belong to the Photon.

Now, if Sprint should happen to release a Motorola with the same hardware as the Razr Maxx in the future, I would buy it; in my opinion the Maxx appears to overcome (or at least match) the three (less critical) advantages that the Epic 4G Touch holds on the Photon: camera, display, processor.

All of the other (more critical) features, in my opinion, are superior in the Photon and in Motorola phones in general, when you compare them to Samsung phones...

But like they say, individual results may vary! ;)

Cheers,

VegasRooted

PS--The unlocked bootloader on the E4GT (and most Samsungs) is a great advantage that I failed to mention above; Motorola better start unlocking all of their bootloaders from now on (as they "promised" recently) or they will certainly fall behind on the development side...

Upvote 0
Thanks everybody! My contract is up April 1st so hopefully a new phone will be up by then. I think the best phones on Sprint are the Photon and Galaxy S2 and I'm leaning toward the Galaxy S2 unless a new phone comes out. I have the EVO 4G which is fine, but the battery is just TERRIBLE....

Why look at the photon and S2 IN April? Just wait a bit and pick up one of the new LTE phones.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones