Will the EVO still be the best phone on Sprint when the Epic 4g comes out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Last Updated:

1. pacersfan712

pacersfan712 Member This Topic's Starter

I am wondering how the two will compare and compete and which one will ultimately be the better phone.

Advertisement
  2. GiftedPlacebo

GiftedPlacebo Well-Known Member

More Android phones on 4G is a good thing. Personally I've had problems with Samsung phones in the past, so I'm happy with my choice of HTC.

I can definitely see people with smaller hands liking the 4" screen vs. the EVO's 4.3", but for me & my huge hands... I'll take the bigger screen :D

3. J03

J03 Well-Known Member

The specs will be very similar. The only thing that would steer people to either phone is whether or not they want a slide out keyboard.

Sadly, looking at the specs, the Epic with a slide out full keyboard is only .06" thicker than the EVO.

4. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

From a pure hardware/technical perspective, the EPIC 4G outclasses the EVO in most ways, if not every. Although the difference really isn't all that big...or important rather. I think it'll come down to peoples preferences for the slide out keyboard. The software can will be another story though, especially if the EPIC is launched with Android 2.1.

5. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

The GSM galaxy S phones are having some pretty serious GPS issues... the big questions are if the problem is hardware or software and if it is software if Samsung is going to fix it.

Personally I'm not a fan of slide out keyboards. I stick my phone in my back pocket and sitting on a slider just doesn't give me the warm fuzzies... I don't care how durable the slide feels in hand.

Personally I trust HTC more than I do samsung but I gotta admit the screens on the Galaxy S phones are amazing.

6. edwelly

edwelly Well-Known Member

I had the Palm Pre before my EVO and I love the slab style phone. So for me, the EVO is still number 1

7. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

There is a whole super long thread on this, do we really need another one?

8. Softgel97

Softgel97 Member

EVO wins the most important spec, screen size... I think most people with an EVO or Droid X will agree.

9. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

HTC makes phones and is better at it for that. Samsung makes phones as a part of their overall conglomerate. Trust me, if they don't succeed at getting their intended 20% market share, they will back out and move on to something else. HTC has to succeed because it's their only business.

10. emuneee

That along with the keyboard is of personal taste. For me, the 4" screen on the Captivate is the sweet spot for phone size...so the Captivate wins (for me) Allows me to add a case without adding to much bulk as well. The EVO (and definately the Droid X) are way too big of a phone for what I need.

11. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

lol...that is funny:

Captivate dimensions: 123 x 65 x 10.4

HTC EVO dimensions: 122 x 66 x 12.7

daddyd302, dr g and EarlyMon like this.
  12. myriam

myriam Well-Known Member

I have an EVO and love it. I think the Epic will be much better for gaming and video. It has a faster processor (1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird) and a six-axis motion censor for gaming like the Iphone. I also think it doesn't have the 30 fps cap. In my humble opinion the Epic is more advance, but I prefer a slab and the EVO is perfect for me. :)

13. emuneee

That is funny LOL, because I've actually handled both phones, and the Captivate "feels" a lot smaller in my hand. Maybe it's the lack of those 2.3mm of thickness missing compared to the EVO 4G. ;)

14. MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

Yes, I am opting for the Epic because I don't want to feel like that guy in the Burger King commercial with "little hands" lol

Actually, both phones are about the same size, but Evo's screen is .3 inch larger, while the Epic has a larger bezel surrounding it.

15. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

16. thewireguys

thewireguys Member

I think the more important question is which will have the better battery life

17. BKBitar

BKBitar Well-Known Member

The screen will be nicer, but to reiterate what everyone else is saying, it'll come down to if you want a slide out keyboard.

18. stainlessray

stainlessray Well-Known Member

I don't care. if they were both put in front of me i would choose the evo. but simply based on the hardware keyboard.

if the choice were presented to me before i bought the evo, i would have chosen the epic. and in and i would have chosen "poorly"... based on my knowledge at that time.

19. The Dorian

The Dorian Well-Known Member

I think normal people deciding between the two, it's purely gonna be on whether they prefer the physical or the virtual keyboard.

I personally would keep Evo.

20. italianwjt

italianwjt Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY. I hate slider phones.

21. nahpungnome

nahpungnome Well-Known Member

I love how people are choosing the phone they have over the one that isn't out yet...

22. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Most are choosing because they don't like sliders.

So riddle me this. Does the phone being out determine whether or not it will have a slider?

damewolf13 likes this.
  23. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

If the Epic didn't have a physical k/b, I'd be all over it. Not that I don't love my Evo, I do, but that GPU is sex.

24. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member

I plan on buying the Epic for my wife on release day because she is not tech oriented and wants a slider keyboard. However, my past experience with the Samsung (Instinct) put a bad taste in my mouth to say the least.

A side note, I was helping a friend set up his Droid X new out the box no apps and with my Evo side by side with 20+ apps and Launcher Pro outshined the Droid hands down with speed, usability etc. Motoblur is horrible IMHO. He even lamented that he wished he had the Evo but was committed to Verizon. I have a perfect phone in my Evo; in fact I can not put it down. I would not trade it for ANY phone on the market (right now that is). Every time I handle someone else's phone e.g. iPhone 3g, 4, Droid Incredible, Droid X, it reinforces that I/we simply have the baddest phone on the planet to date.

25. FrostyD

FrostyD Active Member

It really isn't which is best, its which do you prefer. I have an evo and my friend has a Droid, but since he prefers the slide out keyboard how can you really say either is better? Its all about preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.