• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will the Tab get Honeycomb?

I would say chances are far greater that the Galaxy Tab will receive Honeycomb than not receive it. Would be really shortsighted on the part of Google/Samsung/Carriers to not push it out officially.

Bottom line though, is that yes it will receive Honeycomb. Even if we don't receive it officially some kind souls will have a nice set of ROMS cooked for us shortly after Honeycomb releases.

Also, to Tech Addiction, you don't really have to worry about using Kies in America I believe. Any official updates we will receive OTA from our carriers.

Upvote 0
Also, to Tech Addiction, you don't really have to worry about using Kies in America I believe. Any official updates we will receive OTA from our carriers.

Cool, i'm really looking forward to the firmware update that allows the US version to display all websites in desktop mode. My Incredible displays NYtimes in desktop but the Tab won't eventhough i'm using the same browser on both (Dolphin HD).

Upvote 0
With the announcement of the WiFi and the 4G versions of the Galaxy Tab I'm almost 100% positive that the Tab will get Honeycomb. Samsung wouldn't release 2 new Tablets in the midst of all the Honeycomb tablet announcements if they weren't planning on providing OS upgrades for buyers....that would be suicide.

Upvote 0
I totally hear where you're coming from. I bought the Tab from Best Buy about 3 weeks ago but i took it back because I couldn't justify the $599 price point and I actually prefer a WiFi only version of the Galaxy Tab....but with this weeks announcement of the Verizon version price drop to $499 off contract at Best Buy I again found myself contemplating purchasing the Tab. I held off on buying it for the reasons you've stated above,...While I do think the Gal Tab is an AMAZING tablet I can't justify the purchase with CES around the corner and Honeycomb on the way and it being the version of Android optimized for Tablets. Another thing that deters me at this point is that Samsung is showing a lack of zeal to keep their Galaxy S line of smartphones updated to the most current version of Android OS...I don't want to buy the Tab if it's going to take Samsung 6 months to update to 2.3. especially if at CES they are going to announce a WiFi Tablet running Honeycomb for early 2011. I'm gonna wait until CES before I jump on the Tab.
I don't think it is Samsung not updating their phones as much as it is the carriers, Verizon and T-mobile are allowing updates, At&t isn't because Froyo 2.2 has a nice little thing called "Mobile AP" which turns your Galaxy S running Froyo 2.2 into a Wi-Fi hot spot!! I have it rooted on my captivate and works great. At&t isn't going to allow this option when they will lose money on tethering packages. I am sure that is holding them up on the update.

Upvote 0
Reactions: QuickDraw
Upvote 0
Pardon, is it Samsung Galaxy Tab 2?
SAMSUNGGALAXYTAB2.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how the Galaxy Tab will get it's updates. My EVO has a section under settings called "System Updates".....the Gal Tab seems to be missing this section. I don't use my Tab 3g so I'm hoping updates don't roll out over (in my case) Verizon's data towers. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

I talked to Samsung and they said that if you are using the current tab for wifi only than you will be able to download the updates from their website. However they refuse to comment on future updates.

Reactions: Upright
Upvote 0
Pardon, is it Samsung Galaxy Tab 2?
SAMSUNGGALAXYTAB2.jpg

This could be the Wifi only verion....wait,...no that wouldn't be the case because of the network data symbol. Hmmmm,...could be.

I talked to Samsung and they said that if you are using the current tab for wifi only than you will be able to download the updates from their website. However they refuse to comment on future updates.

Great news...thanks.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
my two cents - a chicago developer has ported Honeycomb to the Nook Color. Now, that device is not as well spec'd out as the Tab, and its running smoothly from the last threads I saw.

If they can port it to an e-reader, some talented dude out there will help us get it a custom ROM for the Tab.

And to that point, if I know that Samsung knows that. IMO, they'll probably not put honeycomb on the tab to provide incentive for people to buy their newer products, figuring those that really want it will get it somehow or the other.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones