• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will you be getting Asurion Insurance w/ your Incredible?

Insurance for you Incredible?

• Yes, with Verizon/Asurion.

Votes: 342 65.0%
  • Yes, with SquareTrade

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Yes, with other 3rd-party insurance

Votes: 10 1.9%
  • No insurance at all.

Votes: 154 29.3%

• Total voters
there should be another option in the poll "Insurance is the biggest waste of money on the planet, I just choose to take care of my things like an adult"

Good for you.
Now for the rest of us that might have accidents once in a while, Assurion is the ebst option IMO.

FYI: Used to be a $50 deductible, now it's $89 for all smartphones.
This is mainly do to the amount of fraudulent claims they get. I know people that make claims just to sell their old phone on ebay, and keep the new (refurbished) one.

Upvote 0
This will be my 1st smart phone, also, and I was thinking that having insurance for the 1st year might be the way to go. I've seen posts that the primary phone can upgrade each year. If that's so, I wouldn't need it for the 2nd year.

Am I missing anything with this thinking?

The insurance from Assurion covers ANY phone you have. They dont even know what phone you have. They might when you sign up... but they dont get updates if you swap out your phone.
At least the last time I made a claim about a year ago, they asked me which phone I had, and didn't question me. I thought they might since i had gone through about 3 phone since my last claim many years prior.

Edit: I get what you're saying... why pay for insurance when you know you are eligible for upgrade if anything happens?
Makes sense.

Upvote 0
How'd you get insurance through State Farm? I called them the other day and was told they don't have insurance for cell phones.
You generally have to have a homeowner's policy. I'm not sure if renter's insurance qualifies you or not. . . But you just schedule the phone on your policy for whatever they charge. The price usually depends on the cost to replace the phone (i.e. full retail), but is generally cheaper than Asurion.

Getting insurance is peace of mind basically.

Upvote 0
You generally have to have a homeowner's policy. I'm not sure if renter's insurance qualifies you or not. . . But you just schedule the phone on your policy for whatever they charge. The price usually depends on the cost to replace the phone (i.e. full retail), but is generally cheaper than Asurion.

I have a homeowners policy. Are you saying you put the phone on your homeowners policy? If so, they aren't going to cover it. The reason why is because homeowners insurance only covers whats INSIDE your home. If you bring the phone outside the house its not covered. Are you referring to something in addition to your homeowners policy?

Upvote 0
Asurion is great. I go through quite a few phones. Sevens in the last two years i think. I used Asurion two of those times. I just never know what might happen to my phone and piece of mind is great. My last two phones had a retail price tag of $599! insurance is a no brainer for me. Also insurance can be used to upgrade your phone a year or two down the line. Just get your phone replaced when they no longer make or stock your phone and they will send out a phone the next day that is a newer comparable model.

Since the incredible has such a nice camera I am going to make a helmet and bike mount for it to record videos of myself doing downhill mountain bike races. Crashes happen and phones like to shatter on rocks when flying down a hill at 30mph.

Another side note, if you phone is lost or stolen. Asurion also covers that 32gb micro SD card that you had in there right ;) and maybe you had an extended battery too...

Upvote 0
Crashes happen and phones like to shatter on rocks when flying down a hill at 30mph.

Another side note, if you phone is lost or stolen. Asurion also covers that 32gb micro SD card that you had in there right ;) and maybe you had an extended battery too...

Dont think there's anything is the fine print about putting your phone in dangerous situations... So that's a legit claim

However pumping up your claim (32GB SD card and extended battery), or like some like to call it "insurance fraud", is the reason we honest folks have to pay a $89 deductible and are limited to two before they cancel coverage....

How about buying your own accesories...

Upvote 0
I have a homeowners policy. Are you saying you put the phone on your homeowners policy? If so, they aren't going to cover it. The reason why is because homeowners insurance only covers whats INSIDE your home. If you bring the phone outside the house its not covered. Are you referring to something in addition to your homeowners policy?

I agree that's like putting your car on it, since it's in the garage at times (for people with garages).

Upvote 0
What about Best Buy and the warranty they offer? I've read a lot of conflicting information about their warranty. Some say you just take your phone in and they swap it out, others say it takes about a week to get a replacement if your phone is deemed unrepairable. If it is repairable, you get it in about 2-3 weeks! That really scares me.

Also, does Costco offer a warranty if you buy it there?

I've use Asurion before (twice) and it was fast and easy. One time I got some grief about one of my phones, so I called Verzion and they gave me a new one.

I have best buy insurance on my Droid. If it is deemed on repairable you get in store credit for the value of your phone towards any other phone.

I have had 1 claim so far and the result was so so. My phone was waiting to be seen by a tech for almost 3 weeks because they were busy, but once the tech got my phone it took them less than a day to fix it. They give you a loaner phone to use while they have your phone. You have to put a deposit down for the loaner, but as long as you return the phone, you get your whole deposit back. There is no deductible, which is nice, but they won't cover lost or stolen phones. They also will cover water damage as long as it isn't fully submerged for too long.

I chose this plan because i have never lost or had stolen a phone, but i have had multiple phone insurance claims denied (through sprint's insurer) due to unrelated water damage and they wouldn't fix or replace my phone even if i was willing to pay the deductible.

Also since you get any phone (up to the retail price of your phone) you want in store that day when it is deemed unfixable, you get a new phone not a refurb.

Upvote 0

Its a balloon policey and is state specific. Not everyone can get it. I know in Tn it is an option. I have state farm coverage on my Droid and it only costs $36 a year.

Upvote 0
I have best buy insurance on my Droid. If it is deemed on repairable you get in store credit for the value of your phone towards any other phone.

I have had 1 claim so far and the result was so so. My phone was waiting to be seen by a tech for almost 3 weeks because they were busy, but once the tech got my phone it took them less than a day to fix it. They give you a loaner phone to use while they have your phone. You have to put a deposit down for the loaner, but as long as you return the phone, you get your whole deposit back. There is no deductible, which is nice, but they won't cover lost or stolen phones. They also will cover water damage as long as it isn't fully submerged for too long.

I chose this plan because i have never lost or had stolen a phone, but i have had multiple phone insurance claims denied (through sprint's insurer) due to unrelated water damage and they wouldn't fix or replace my phone even if i was willing to pay the deductible.

Also since you get any phone (up to the retail price of your phone) you want in store that day when it is deemed unfixable, you get a new phone not a refurb.

Thanks for the info. How much did it cost you?

Upvote 0

Getting insurance is peace of mind basically.

You do realize that making a claim on your homeowner's policy typically runs $500 - $1000, right? Plus your premiums go up because you file a claim. Why the hell would that make sense?

Upvote 0
"Insurance is the biggest waste of money...blah, blah, blah"

No kidding. It's always the biggest waste of money until you need to use it. Then it's a life saver. I drive carefully and have done so for 18 years. Never been in an accident that's my fault. Biggest waste of money = $24,000 or so I've paid since I started driving. I may never need to call on them, but if something happens that someone else's insurance won't cover, I very well could save myself >$30,000 on replacing my car. That being said, you carry insurance on the cell phone in the first year and when you're "annual upgrade" eligible, you can drop it then, or do so whenever you determine the fair market value of an out of pocket replacement isn't that big of a deal. If it's $599 outright, you probably won't be able to get a new one much cheaper than $475 through legit channels a year from now.

Upvote 0
The insurance from Assurion covers ANY phone you have. They dont even know what phone you have. They might when you sign up... but they dont get updates if you swap out your phone.
At least the last time I made a claim about a year ago, they asked me which phone I had, and didn't question me. I thought they might since i had gone through about 3 phone since my last claim many years prior.

Edit: I get what you're saying... why pay for insurance when you know you are eligible for upgrade if anything happens?
Makes sense.

They get updates when you switch your phones over. Like when you switch the number to a different phone, the phone company knows and they update your policy.

"Insurance is the biggest waste of money...blah, blah, blah"

No kidding. It's always the biggest waste of money until you need to use it. Then it's a life saver. I drive carefully and have done so for 18 years. Never been in an accident that's my fault. Biggest waste of money = $24,000 or so I've paid since I started driving. I may never need to call on them, but if something happens that someone else's insurance won't cover, I very well could save myself >$30,000 on replacing my car. That being said, you carry insurance on the cell phone in the first year and when you're "annual upgrade" eligible, you can drop it then, or do so whenever you determine the fair market value of an out of pocket replacement isn't that big of a deal. If it's $599 outright, you probably won't be able to get a new one much cheaper than $475 through legit channels a year from now.

Amen.

Upvote 0
I was in a car crash and used the Asurion insurance and used it once after that too. Here's the deal. If you break your phone in the first two month of having it you'll get a new one from Asurion--took me 4 days total from sending to receiving the new one. If you break it after the first few months then you get a refurb. If you have problems with that refurb you can go to Verizon and get a new one directly from them.

ALSO: they tell you to keep the battery when you send it back. They sent a new battery both times, so I ended up with three batteries.

Upvote 0

In my experience it depends on your HOI carrier and policy. A rider or "endorsement" on your home owner's policy can cover you for accidents, damage, etc. no matter whether the item was inside or outside the home. In my experience cost for the insurance i.e. premium typically is a fraction of the actual cost of the item insured, and its replacement is often covered up to a percentage ABOVE the cost of the original (e.g. up to 150% of the original value). This can come in handy if a cost at time of replacement is higher than the value at which the device was originally insured.

In my opinion this can really come in handy for relatively expense electronics which may go outside the home (digital camera, portable computers, smart phones, etc.).

The key for me has been replacement with no deductibe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones